Saturday 12 June 2021

Saturday

 Good morning, everyone.  I'm at home temporarily, driving here yesterday afternoon and going back this morning, because there was/is stuff to do here.

One thing was to receive the Hello Fresh box I had ordered and which was too late to cancel on Tuesday.  I will take it all back with me so that's eight very nice meals I can make for myself in the next week. 
I also wanted to check the garden.  Beth and my lovely neighbours are keeping things watered and it is looking good.  Everything is coming on wonderfully; the clematis has too many flowers to count, all the tomatoes have grown and I spend quite a time pinching out those side shoots and tying the stems up to the canes, the baby apples are growing into toddlers and the cucumbers are climbing up the supports.
I'm hoping Beth has been picking and consuming the strawberries as they ripen.  I think she must have as there were only two to pick yesterday.

I'm going to take a look at the allotment before I leave to go back and I expect the tomatoes will need some attention there too.  One sad thing - Beth tells me that the yellow courgettes haven't survived which is a puzzle as they seemed to be doing really well but there you go!  However, to balance that, everything else is doing well and the mange tout and runners are sending up shoots.  She is watering there, bless her.

I don't have any photos (do I hear a sigh of relief???  😀 ) but will try to remember to take some on my phone before I leave.  I've left my camera at Dad's.

I got a message from Dave (son) last night asking did I fancy a bottle, a take away and some company.  I most certainly did so spent the evening with tasty food and good company.  Wasn't that kind?  It did me the world of good and I have slept very soundly.

Thank you all so much for your kind and supportive comments; I have appreciated each and every one of them very much indeed.
I can't say much, obviously, it's not my story, and the picture keeps changing, but it looks as if Dad will need two heart operations and also some investigations into a longer term issue that is complicating matters.  I was incredibly down about it all yesterday but common sense and some sort of positivity have returned, thank goodness.

I've cancelled most of my life here for a while as I can't see Dad being discharged from hospital for a number of weeks.  While he's not happy about that, he knows it is the best place for him right now.

So - I have a Little List of clothes to pack and take back with me, things that I need to do and things to take from cupboard and fridge, such as my spray oil, etc.  I left in such a hurry that I just grabbed at stuff on Tuesday but have had time to think since then.  My notebook has been invaluable and I know Dad appreciates me writing it all down and passing the news on in family updates, etc.
We are all benefitting from the fact that my Dad is and always has been a very organised chap so everything is in apple pie order and it has not been hard to take up the reins, either financially or in other ways, managing his home, etc.

Well, that's about it; I have a lateral flow thingy to do so I'd better get that over and done with while I remember.  Thank you all for walking this road with me, keeping me company and cheering me up with your lovely comments.
I will start putting things together, water the garden, water the allotment and then I am back off to Dad's again, ready for today's visit at one o'clock.
I hope your day goes well and that you can take advantage of the lovely weather.  Take care and stay safe.  xx

33 comments:

  1. Tell your Dad we're thinking of him, he's in the best place and no doubt the lovely NHS staff will take very good care of him. Where would we be without our notebooks and lists?! (Mine is invaluable with all the caravan stuff!). Don't forget to take care of yourself, Joy. Must have been great to have such a lovely evening with your son. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's being looked after very well indeed, thanks, Sooze. No complaints.

      Delete
  2. and you take care and stay safe too.....more ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I'm overeating and need to get a handle on it - already my larger jeans are tight. Ooops!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Take care Joy don't exhaust yourself or you will be joining your Dad. I know that is easier said than done but do make sure you get some rest. we are all thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look after yourself Joy and best wishes to your Dad. Although it sounds like things are a little more involved than you first thought, I suppose its better that the issues be found and sorted out now rather than lurking unknown to cause problems later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Chrissie. Doing nothing is not an option.
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  5. How lovely of your Son to visit and have a meal and nice evening together, he knew exactly what you needed.

    Sorry that it's not as straight forward as thought originally but it is good to have a diagnosis and a plan of action to build on.

    Sending you lots of strength and best wishes and don't wear yourself out, take some time out and enjoy your Dad's lovely garden too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so lovely, just perfect really.
      Thanks. xx

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that it's going to be more complicated than was first thought but at least your Dad is in the right place and is being cared for. It sounds like Dave is caring for you too, just what you needed.

    Thinking of you all and sending positive thoughts your way xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth also - I'm very lucky. Dad's got a good network too. People are so kind - in here and out there. xx

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's health issues. On the positive side he has you there to interact with the hospital, and he is in the best place to get help and being well looked after.
    How lovely to have family support for you also. Good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is on the best place right now, I agree.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Will keep your Dad and you in my thoughts with hopes that whatever is necessary to improve your Dad's health will be done soon and with positive outcomes. As others have said, make sure you take care of yourself in the midst of this crisis. Good to know your son and daughter are watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, that's just what we are all hoping for, xx

      Delete
  9. Hope everything works out well for your Dad and his surgeries. So good you can be there for him and you have your children to keep things running smoothly at your home. Take care of yourself as well as your Dad. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know your dad is comforted by you being there to oversee what is happening at this time of his life and knows that you'll do the best for him. You are a good daughter Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a great dad and always has been . . . I'm lucky.
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  11. Very sorry to hear your Dad isn’t well! I have been mostly away from my blog due to 2nd vaccine side effects so I had not read your previous posts. Sending loads of positive “get well” soon vibes from across the channel. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, poor you! I hope you're feeling loads better now. Thanks very muich.
      xx

      Delete
  12. Oh, that stage of life with parents is so hard. It really helps to have a parent who is organized, like your dad. The transitions are much smoother. Glad that you have friends helping you with your watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has made such a difference. I think it would be loads harder if my garden and allotment weren't being cared for but they are.
      I suppose even if they weren't, there's always next year, that's the joy of nature.
      xx

      Delete
  13. I'm including your Dad and you in my prayers, Joy. I'm so sorry he is having health issues. I understand the difficulty in being there for a family member while trying to conduct your own life because I am doing that for an older sister right now. Know that many thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that, Debbie. I will pray for you and your sister too and hope that things work out for you both. (((hugs)))
      xx

      Delete
  14. Prayers for your Dad and for you, Joy. You are a wonderful and devoted daughter and I know your Dad must be comforted having you there. As others have said, he's in the best place he could be right now and getting the care he needs. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I think I am helping and it stops him fretting about home things. Yes, he is definitely in the right place. He knows that too, much as he's missing his home.
      xx

      Delete
  15. Sending hugs Joy - take care of yourself too in all this. Your dad will know you have everything in hand as you obviously take after him for being so organised and he will have peace of mind and be able to concentrate on getting well again. We are all praying that you will receive some better news soon when the doctors have conducted their investigations.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viv. One step at a time . . . we'll get there.
      xx

      Delete
  16. Gosh, I am just having a catch up on the posts I've missed over the past couple of weeks and I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds as though you are coping so well with everything. But sounding like you are coping and actually coping are sometimes two different things. I do hope you are okay, I'm thinking of you, take care. xx

    ReplyDelete