Tuesday 1 June 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning.  The sun is shining brightly today and it looks as if we will enjoy another day as lovely as yesterday was


Beth and I spent several hours at the allotment in the sunshine yesterday.

The canes are up for the runner beans. 

 . . . and for the mange tout,  actually prunings from the plum tree.  This particular structure looks more rickety than it really is


The faithful raspberries

And the equally faithful rhubarb.  We came home with plenty of sticks for making more gin or for puddings.
The potatoes are coming along . . .
. . . as is the flower bed (you can't really see the sweet peas but they are finally starting to grow and look much more healthy than they did even a week ago) . . .
. . . and the baby corn is looking very hopeful . . .
. . . while the broad beans are looking great, flowers and all.


We sat under the trees at the back, Beth and I, feeling very content.  The allotment lay out is a bit 'girly', I suppose, but it makes us feel happy.  We could get more produce out of it, I am sure, but we like it just the way it is, we really do.

We came home for a cuppa and Beth watched the first Great British Photography programme which she thoroughly enjoyed.  She did a pre-uni course in photography more than half her lifetime ago in order to get some sort of qualification needed to do a BA in art (she never got to uni, she got pregnant instead!) so this was fascinating for her.  I didn't watch the second programme, on last night, because I was very tired.  I have it recorded and will enjoy it today.

Today, the lovely Sharon is coming round to do my hair and then I will be going back to the allotment to finish off what we didn't do yesterday.  As often, I have a Little List - not so little really - but once that's all done it really is a case of weeding, watering, mowing and watching the yearly miracles happen.  Aren't we lucky!

I'd better stop rambling and move on to t'other blog.  Time is passing and I need to tidy up the kitchen a bit - Sharon does my hair in the kitchen as the floor is easier to sweep afterwards.



16 comments:

  1. Wow, those bean canes look tall, how did you get up to do the horizontal cane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look taller than they really are, I think. We stuck the canes in the ground first, then tied then as high up as I could manage and no higher. That meant that the cross cane was reachable - just. My arms did ache afterwards but they're fine this morning. It was easier with two of us - Beth held then together while I tied.
      xx

      Delete
  2. The allotment is looking wonderful and your hard work has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. It's quite 'homey', not the least bit posh but I think it feels friendly.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Your allotment looks so neat and organised. My runners and sweetpeas are just starting to take off and will soon be up my rickety cane structure. It's amazing what a few days and nights of warm sunshine can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it? And it sounds as if the fine weather is doe to hang around for a while. We'll be grumbling about needing rain soon, of course. :-)
      And thank you - your garden is looking fab too. Worth the hard work, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's all looking very good and should be very productive. If by it looking 'girly' you mean lovely, neat and extremely practical that is exactly why I like it. I do think the female of the species can usually find better ways of working and laying things out than the male :-)

    We tend to think ahead to the weeding, the harvesting and the general layout, and to the little things that will make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, that's what I did mean in a way. It has odd little corners and groups of stuff instead of too many rows. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I think it looks great and shows how much hard work you've put into reaching this stage.

    I watched, and enjoyed, the photography programme last night but won't comment on it until I know you've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The allotment looks lovely, girly or not - well, you are girls!! I do think us females think in a different way to men - I know husband and I definitely do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we do really in some ways. I think the allotment definitely shows female influence.
      xx

      Delete
  7. The allotment looks wonderful.

    How do you make rhubarb gin? I have heard of rhubarb wine, but not gin.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write about it in the next post, Jackie.
      xx

      Delete
  8. It's all looking wonderfully productive. It must be so nice to work together on the allotment with Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, it's friends together and I so enjoy it.
      xx

      Delete