Thursday 10 June 2021

Thursday

 Morning, everyone.  It is so early but my sleep patterns are a bit wonky at the moment.  I'm sleeping really well but going to bed too early and waking too early.  I think I will see if I can have a good kip after visiting this afternoon so I can push bedtime back a bit.

Thank you again for your lovely messages,
That first visit was indeed frustrating in the extreme and, once I had located where Dad was, disappointing that I couldn't see him.  Patient safety is the first priority though so no complaints.
Annabeth, the instructions were very clear and explicit, as you said, and it was easier to do than I expected.  I don't need to do a flow test today but will again tomorrow.  The nice lady at the chemist gave me two packs (fourteen tests) so that should see me through the duration.  It was more complicated reporting the results as I decided to register, seeing as it wasn't just a one off, and that took a bit of time but all done now and the next time will be easier.

I did indeed get to see Dad yesterday although I had to ask the way a few times.  Even better, on the way out, I found a shorter cut through a side entrance which makes it mush simpler for the future.  Phew.

Dad looked better than he has for a while.  I don't know if it was a change of meds or just that he feels 'safe' (or both) but it was good to see.  I had gone shopping to Tescos earlier and bought a nice notebook (I dearly love nice notebooks!) just to make notes regarding this situation and I am so glad I did because it is going to come in useful.  I came home with three pages of notes - things to do, things to bring next time, people to contact, etc.

Dad needs an operation and is remaining in the ACU ward until that is done next week.  They wanted to do it this week but waiting lists . . .  It will be keyhole surgery which is brilliant - far less physical stress and a much faster recovery.  They reckon it should greatly improve his quality of life which makes me very happy.  I've googled (as you do) and the recovery and improvement statistics for elderly patients is extremely good.

So I came home with head a-buzzing and set to.  Firstly round to Fantastic Neighbour to put her in the picture.  She's acting as my hospital contact because of my bad hearing, etc.  She told me about things like bin days, etc . . .
Then on to the laptop which I have set up in the dining room to do a family email to keep everyone informed.
Then my Dave came - he was in Potters Bar for the morning and it's not far up from there.  If things had been different, he was going to stay the night and keep me company but, as it turned out, we had coffee, a good old chat and then he set off so he could get home before the rush hour.

Then I carried on and got quite a lot done.  I contacted a local carpet cleaning company to clean the bedroom carpet (it got some blood on it).  I fired off a whole load more emails and generally organised stuff.  What I didn't do was go into Dad's mailbox to answer anything I could.  That is this morning's job.

I'll be visiting every day as much as possible.  I'm going to go online and book for the rest of the week, I think, then I don't have to worry about it every day.  

So there we are.  As someone said 'constant change is here to stay'  I'm so glad this didn't blow up during lockdown when visiting was totally banned.  At least there's some leeway now.

Have a good day and stay safe and well.  xx

11 comments:

  1. During lockdown would have been a nightmare for you both - not allowing visiting was quite barbaric, although necessary I guess. I'm glad your Dad's looking brighter, and fingers crossed he recovers well from the keyhole surgery. You're very well organised, Joy (comes from being a teacher, I guess!). Don't forget to look after yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember things quite as well as i used to, hence the notebook. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lets hope the days come soon when booking for everything we do isn't a necessity but I'm glad you are able to get to see your Dad without too much hassle and thank goodness he will get his surgery soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, Dad said he is glad he can't have lots of visitors. It would just be too much for him really.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I realize your Dad is not out of the woods yet but it all sounds very positive and a great relief for you all.

    Wow, you are well organized but as Sooze said, don't forget to look after yourself too and take some time out. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Action is being taken. I think that's what makes the difference.
      xx

      Delete
  4. So sorry I haven't popped by in the last few days Joy and am sending all my love and best wishes for you and dad. Glad that you are able to see him and that he can get the surgery needed very soon. Take care and be strong xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things are happening and there is an immediate treatment plan in place, so that's good news. I'm sending more healing vibes for your Dad and positive thoughts for you. Hospital visiting is hard and more draining than you think so please make sure to take good care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy what a relief that things are on the up. Hospitals are like rabbit warrens and confuse the staff let alone the visitors. I'm glad you are getting things sorted out it is often the little things that take the most effort. Best wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete