Monday 7 June 2021

Monday - photo heavy

 Good morning.  The sun is shining brightly, the windows are open and everything is lovely!  We did have a few spots of rain yesterday and it felt quite oppressive at times but not to worry, today looks much more promising according to the Beeb.

The journey home was longer than usual.  When Beth came over, she warned me that the A414 was closed at Ongar.  I'd been intending to go that way because the A120 was also closed for the weekend.  So I ended up going through Harlow and then heading off to Sawbridgeworth to rejoin my usual route the other side of the bit of the 120 I usually take.  I did um and ah about trying Ongar as I couldn't find anything on the Internet about the 414 being closed there but, as I went through Harlow, my sat nav kept trying to take me other ways which was a big hint that there were issues.  Good old sat nav!

Much as I love it at Dad's, it is always nice to get home again and yesterday was no exception.  Everything has grown tremendously in the garden, much to my delight.  I took some photos yesterday and some more this morning.



The geranium is going to be stunning soon; just look at all those buds!  The one at the front is also looking lovely; it's in its third year - the first year it seemed to die, last year it sent out titchy leaves and nothing else and this year there are flowers too.  It's a paler pink, almost white.




The pinks have started too.  Not as prolific looking as last year and I'll see if maybe it needs replacing at some point.  I dearly love all pinks.






Yes, the ooh la la has flowers!  I took this yesterday and there's one below that I took this morning.  It's lovely!






Yum!  Picked and enjoyed.
(note to self - MUST put slug pellets down)




The above were yesterday's photos while below are today's.


A funny old angle, I know, but I was trying to get all the pots in.  They've all grown well, many have flowers and I've started the daily routine of pinching out side shoots and tying to the canes.  Now I need to look out for the fruit setting as that's when one needs to start feeding.






Plenty more strawberries to come!






And blueberries







And here's the clematis - a good start!








And finally - one of the cucumbers.  Not that big but it's grown a couple of inches while I was away.









Today, the only thing in the diary is a couple of tuition sessions but I want to take a trip to the allotment to do a bit of weeding and watering (perhaps) and to see how things are all getting on generally.  I also might take the mower and try for a shorter cut.

The rest of the day needs to be devoted to housework of various kinds, including washing, drying and ironing.  So very exciting!

Take care, enjoy your day and be safe.  xx


Edited to add that I have tried to catch up with blogs that I follow but haven't necessarily left my usual comment - sorry.



14 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely pink colours starting into flower in your garden Joy. My geranium is budding up now and has some flowers opening. I have to split the plants quite often because they grow with weed like intentions at the bottom of the garden. Still I do love them.
    My strawberries are also setting. I don't have trouble with slugs because they are currently in an old wheelbarrow surrounded by gravel. it also stops them rotting off. Have a good day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have split mine. It's too big for the bed, really. Not now, however, that would be a shame. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Please don't use slug pellets..! :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what to say here but don't want to not answer.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Wildlife Friendly Alternatives to Slug Pellets...

      https://greenecofriend.co.uk/wildlife-friendly-alternatives-to-slug-pellets/

      Delete
  3. There's lots of lovely things happening in your garden Joy. The strawberries do look delicious! I would definitely say there is nothing better than home grown with the exception of nature's own crop. I remember during one of my visits home to see the family we were out walking in the Devonshire countryside through the country lanes and we found wild strawberries growing in the hedge. They were tiny but so sweet since then I haven't eaten any quite like them. You get huge strawberries here but they don't taste as nice. Enjoy your week. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild strawberries sound absolutely amazing - how wonderful.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, those strawberries look amazing! Mine are nowhere near as far on as yours, and it looks like you'll have an ongoing supply over the summer. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is a bit of a sun trap which is nice. They're not all as prolific as the one in the photo but should be OK and also should be better next year as this is their first year.
      Strawberries are lovely, aren't they?
      xx

      Delete
  5. Everything looks green and flourishing. Your plants are very healthy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is blossoming nicely. Love the colours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers are gorgeous, Joy! It's interesting that what you call "geraniums" don't look like our geraniums and the "pinks" look like miniature chrysanthemums. I love learning about all of this. Such fun and they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete