Tuesday 29 June 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning, everyone.  I'm home, looking out over my own garden (what I can see of it from here), and feeling thankful.  It's very dull and the forecast is for light rain but it looks to be getting a bit better over the next little while.

Thank you for all your comments yesterday.  They have helped so much through this tricky time.

John and I are joint executors of Dad's will.  My other brother, Dave, lives in the USA.  John has worked closely with Dad to get the estate into perfect order so we are hoping that the necessary paperwork and stuff won't get too complicated.  Added to that, John has an accountant friend who has come onboard to advise and liaise so we're in a good position.

I've been contacting friends and associations Dad was involved in to let them know the news and next Friday I intend running through his online 'address book' so I don't miss anyone out.  

Everything just has to run down the pre-determined tracks and we feed into that journey when needed.  There will be times when John and I both have to sign things together but generally he is doing an amazing job, much better than I could ever do.  I think the balance is about right.  I've done most of the 'work' (if it can be called that) of supporting my Mum and Dad while they were alive, as you know, and now John is taking the lead instead.

Yesterday I went to the Church Mum and Dad attended for an hour.  Hazel had opened it up to anyone who wanted; there were some printouts, some candles burning and people spoke as and when they wanted.  I found it incredibly emotional.  Dad had put his heart and soul into that little church and they will miss him terribly.

Then I had a chat with Ann next door before setting off home.  It was a very easy journey, thankfully.  I got home, unpacked, etc, all the stuff one does when coming home, before opening a bit of mail and got a pleasant surprise.
If you remember, last year I finally got round to cashing in a small-ish pension thing, deciding to take the whole lot as cash because the monthly income it was predicted to give was pretty small.  Dave worked out that the tax they charged on the 75% came to a bit higher than it should have but it wasn't enough to protest about and, as we both said, it would even up over time anyway.
Well, it has.  I had a letter from IR telling me I had overpaid tax and would be getting a very useful sum back from them.
Nice.

Later on, Beth and Alex came round and we shared a take-away Chinese.  Beth brought some beautiful flowers with her - so very kind.  We had a good old chat, sharing memories and talking about the last weeks.  We're a pretty close knit family in some ways and my two and Alex had a very close relationship with my parents.

Today, I plan to rest and potter.  The calves continue to improve but resting them from time to time really helps.  I have some washing and ironing, a bit of weeding,. etc, and a cupboard or to to rearrange now I have brought some things here from Mum and Dad's.

I mentioned the best china yesterday; I took a couple of photos to show Beth when asking her if she'd like it and here's one of them.  Lighting isn't great but you get the idea - the is just part of it so you can see it's a very complete collection.  Definitely eight of everything and more of some things.


Well, I had better get going.  I'd like to get the old, molto cheapo Matalan glasses into the recycling and the nice, Wine Society glasses stored in their place, move the photos and start up the little cottages arrangement with the smaller ones I brought home.  The bigger ones are still at Dad's and I will bring them home very carefully.  I'll take a photo once I have them all as I want them.

Have a great day and I hope your weather is better than it looks like being here.  Take care and stay safe.  xx

23 comments:

  1. Hope you get a chance for a bit of rest at home this week - both mentally and physically.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have planned it in - well, not exactly 'planned' but not doing too much. All those little tasks are as good as a rest because it's so nice when they are done. My brain is whizzing around but making lists helps. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely China, Joy, and how nice to have a complete large set. It must be such a relief to have John sorting out all the financial stuff - my eldest brother did it all when our Mum died, and still takes care of it now for my youngest bro, who cannot manage any of it himself. It's good you're keeping busy, it helps doesn't it. Take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty, isn't it? Yes, John is great! xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so pleased that you have found a good home for the china and you are back home for a rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. It is feeling good being back in my own comfort zone again.
      xx

      Delete
  4. That china is really pretty. Why we all use cheapo mugs and glasses if we have pretty china and crystal glasses I'll never know. I'm as guilty as the next person for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I've had great pleasure from using my Edinburgh crystal glasses since I decided it was a waste to just stick them behind a glass door. Beth has already said she is going to use the china which is so good.
      xx

      Delete
  5. We have been so caught up in this house move I hadn't read any blogs for a while, but saw yours this morning, so I am so sorry to hear of your dad..He sounded like a lovely man. I hope you can take comfort in the fact he was a Christian and his church will be there for you. Now you're home, you can grieve quietly in your own comfort space with your own children giving you support. Take care and Every Blessing Joy.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. It is a very comforting thought and I hope it is helping his fellow churchgoers who are very upset and will miss him so much. xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely china - I hope you enjoy using it - we don't have a 'best' set anymore as we use ours for everyday so we get the use. I decided to do this years ago after clearing out both my grandma's places and finding beautiful sets of china hidden away and never used and their everyday dishes had cracks and chips and in some cases the pattern wearing off. I thought then that I wanted to eat off nice china everyday rather than store it in a cupboard. Hope you manage to have a nice long rest in the comfort of your own garden during all the sorting. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Beth's having the china and she has said she is certainly going to use it. Alex too, he really liked the photos and is looking forward to meals off the plates.
      A Wedgwood service is not something either of us could ever afford so it's great that Beth wants it and will use it.
      You can see why I didn't want to donate it or chuck it, can't you?
      xx

      Delete
  7. Glad you are home and pacing yourself...especially taking it easy with those worrisome calves. Helps that you are surrounded by your own comforts. Go easy on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The china is beautiful and it's good that Beth intends to use it. I've been using all my best things since I moved into this house, partly a practical decision as there's no space to store things I don't use regularly, but mostly because I have seen too many 'best' sets sitting in other peoples cupboards only to be disposed of in the end.

    I'm glad you are building in some less demanding things that'll let you 'relax' but still get things done. It helps to feel that progress is being made ... I speak from experience here. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true. One can pay a fortune for these sets of 'best' and then never get the pleasure of using them. Really, it only makes sense if one has a young family around. After that, why not use it?
      Thanks - I need to move on. Not away, just on.
      xx

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry for your loss. I know you had a lovely relationship with your Dad. I quess it goves you both sadness and happiness, with all those memories.
    And that best china, it looks really nice, I like the shape and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does - bitter sweet at the moment but I am trying to focus on the 'sweet' - all those lovely memories.
      Thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your memories, talking about those who left us and sharing little stories is what got me through the loss of our daughter, and my parents.

    Lovely china pattern.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry you lost your daughter. That must have been dreadful for you. I'm glad that those memories helped you to cope and get through it.
      xx

      Delete
  11. So sorry to hear your sad news. Thinking of you. Xx

    ReplyDelete