Wednesday 16 June 2021

Wednesday - long waffle!

 Good morning, everyone.  The sun finally emerged yesterday and it was a very pleasant summer day, quite warm and I blessed the air conditioning in the living room in the evening.

Yesterday was quite a day!  I started off by getting the six large supermarket bags of paperbacks to the book shop and came back with five and a half bags.  They only wanted a few but gave me a fiver for them which has started off the 'donations to the Garden City Hospice' fund nicely.  I will dispose of the rest; they are not in good condition and, quite frankly, I don't have the time to faff around with them.
However, it took six journeys from car to shop and back with very heavy bags and, somehow, I managed to hurt both calf muscles, low down close to the ankles.  Lord only knows how and it's not something that's ever happened before so really weird but the rest of the day I was hobbling like a very old person, no springiness in the ankles whatsoever.  Thank goodness for pain killers.  This morning it's still aching but it is a more normal ache so that's a relief.

I didn't use Quick Fit in the end because the nearest garage was Hitchin.  I found a place called Ecotyres quite close by so went down there and I think I struck gold.  A very capable and hard working young man said yes, he could repair what turned out to be a puncture and replace the tyres which he agreed were near the end of their life and better still (consulting his diary), he could do it straight away.  Still legal but . . .
So under two hours later I drove away and, boy, I could really notice the difference.  Driving is now worry free again as changing the tyres was on my Things To Do in June list and now it's done.
A plus was that it cost less than I had feared so no need to move money over.  Phew.

In the afternoon I hobbled in to Dad's ward and, after a heart to heart with Dad, we both had a long talk to one of the consultants who took us through everything very carefully.
What is happening now is that Dad is going to move into a good local care home with as much nursing care as he needs as soon as he possibly can.  There will be no operations; the expected outcomes do not warrant it.  It is what Dad wants and the medics think too.
I can't give any more details, obviously.

So - today starts with a bit more clearing out, as much as possible.  I'm tackling some of the kitchen stuff - there's an awful lot of things like plastic pots, etc, no use to anyone.  Then I will have my hour long visit to Dad and I expect that he will be looking forward to getting out of hospital and into somewhere more comfortable.  It could be as soon as tomorrow because . . .

. . . brother John is coming down from Scotland today and together we can sort things out.  There's legal stuff to do anyway and all the local care homes have plenty of spaces due to Covid 19 (which is not good, but good for this situation) so there will be no difficulties.

So - I'd better get today's lateral flow test done (I have to do one every two days as part of the visiting rules) and then start the day off.  
Have a good one yourselves; stay safe and positive.  xx

17 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. Speaking personally, I don't think very elderly people cope very well with big operations, it's just too much for them. My mum could have had an operation for her kidney cancer, but the hospital doctors, Mum and my siblings and I decided it wasn't really feasible or even best for her - at her age and with her other health conditions and general frailty, it really wasn't an option. She was just made comfortable and given appropriate pain relief. Lots for you to do and sort out, Joy, it should keep your mind occupied. Good that your brother is able to come down. I hope your Dad is settled in a lovely place very soon. Thinking of you and sending lots of love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that your brother is coming down to help you and to share the load. Have you chosen a care home or is that something you need to do? I'm glad anyway that your Dad is happy with what is happening and that he doesn't have to go through the ordeal of surgery.

    Thinking of all of you and sending my love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy I do feel for you these are difficult times but heroic surgery is not always the best solution. I hope your Dad gets to his more comfortable place soon as hospitals are not the best of places to rest. I'm glad your car is all fixed that is one less thing to worry about. Obviously you have your hands full and Im glad you are getting some help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know these times are ever so hard Joy. They are life but it doesn't make it any easier. I hope all goes smoothly and your Dad gets settled in very soon. Sending lots of love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your Dad knows exactly what is the right way to go for him, big decisions, but you're all pulling together and in accord, which is lovely. All the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all seems to have happened so quickly but it's good that your Dad is deciding the best solution.
    Hope things go well and he gets settled into a comfortable and caring home.
    Sending another virtual ((hug)) for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure your Dad will feel much more comfortable when he gets settle in the Care Home. I imagine difficult decisions for all your family at present...so really good though too that your Dad has a loving family who are all rallying around doing what is best for him. I am so glad your Dad is able to decide too what he wants. Dear Joy difficult moments ....in my thoughts Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear your brother is coming down - it is always good to share these difficult times with someone. I hope you find a lovely care home and your dad settles in well. You are going to have a lot on your plate so take care of yourself.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds a good plan and your dad sounds thought out and pragmatic .glad you have support of your brother to help share the load of sorting out practical things and for you to both have some opportunity to share the emotional impact x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad your brother is coming to help sort things out. Your plan is a well thought out one and your Dad will be well looked after.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good that everyone, especially your Dad, is on the same page for the necessary decisions and that your brother will be there to help with all the important work. Not easy times, but happy your Dad (and you) has such a supportive family. Best of luck with everything. Remember to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a sensible decision Joy. Hope you aren't hobbling about today. I put all my paperbacks 'Free To Collect' on Gumtree. Just left them at the end of the drive for the lady who asked for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds as though you're doing all you can to sort out your dad's house.. a lot of work.. well done. Hope your dad will find a pleasant Nursing Home where he'll be comfortable and well looked after.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I hope it all works out with your dad. Glad that you got the new tires. That's always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending lots of love, and I'm glad to know you have family there to support you. I'm sure you will find a suitable care home for your lovely dad and then you will have the reassurance of knowing he has the full time support he needs. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a very sensible outcome and I bet your Dad is relieved not have to go through any operations at the moment. I hope you manage to find him a good care home.

    ReplyDelete