Thursday 26 January 2023

Thursday, 26-01-23

 Good morning, everyone.  It's above freezing again today although it felt really cold when I went out to the freezer.  Yesterday was damp and raw, a very bleak day;  I didn't really feel properly warm pretty much all day until I warmed up in personal training.  There's a moral there, I am sure!

Thanks for all your stash comments yesterday.  I think this whole 'keep something set by' ethos is one that's never really gone away.  My own experience is that Mum always had one open, one on the shelf and at least one set by for all the commonly used food products.  For the cleaning products and toiletries it was one open and one in the cupboard.  Don't start me on loo rolls!  They had a big airing cupboard with plenty of storage room!
So I grew up with the habit of never running anything down completely and I'm sure that is part of the reason why I get a bit edgy when the petrol tank measures half full.  It is at the moment and I'm glad it will be February soon so I can do a top up - I could anyway but am trying to budget a bit.
So, for me, it's always been a thing to have a stash, whether it be shelf or freezer which is why I'm doing a no spend!  And I am very thankful that I can.
But for some the very idea of having things left in the cupboard at the start of the week (the shopping week, I mean) is strange and they are happy to, or have to,  buy from week to week.  Sometimes it is necessity and sometimes it's choice.  The latter is absolutely fine, it's just different.  The former is not so good, is it.  Everyone should have enough money for food.

I guess in harder times we all do our best, in our own way, not to waste things.

Apart from feeling cold, yesterday went really well.  I got the shelf stash sorted - sadly, there were a few out of date items that I decided just had to be thrown out (I felt bad about that) and the whole thing was a mixture of longer term stuff and kitchen overflow.  It's all sorted out now, listed and organised with a few things brought in and the same things crossed off my shopping list for next time.

Just as I finished, a message pinged through from Chris.  She and Steve got home from badminton to find that their stopcock had been broken by the plumber working next door to them (by mistake, obviously) and not only was water gushing out, they had no water in the house.  Please could she come over and grab some containers of drinking water?  Obviously, I said yes, and dug out a couple more containers she could use.  Just as we were walking back, up drove the water board van and they got it sorted pretty quickly and, thank goodness, without any need to dig.  But it was a worrying hour or so for them, all the same.  
One plumber NOT to use in the future (although, to be fair, he did get the water board on the job very quickly indeed)!

Sharon turned up and now I feel a bit tidier again.  She always does such a great job, bless her.  Now my hair is short, it can be dry cut so that saves on time and money, both the cost of the cut and the amount of shampoo and conditioner I use.

Personal training was great - it's the start of a new block and Lindsey has definitely upped the ante, especially with the strength stuff.  She's also included more balance type stuff - my balance is very poor due to wobbly ankles and also the poor hearing/middle ear stuff.  So I'll never be great on balance but every bit of improvement helps.

Today starts with the Shimmy Snippet which is a full 45 minute SET class so that will be great.
Then Chris is over for our weekly natter and I look forward to hearing the whole Great Water Disaster story!  After all, very little exciting stuff happens round here.

Then the day's my own so what shall I do?  Well, I think I'm going to sort out my pull-out cupboard in the kitchen.  It's better than it was but it is rather disorganised and, as I'm on a bit of a roll, I may as well make the most of the current motivation.  It won't last for ever.  And I need to change my sheets so that's some washing, drying and ironing to get done - I am starting to long for days when I can dry my washing outside again now.

Better get over to Facebook and do my admin stuff over there now and then I need to get myself sorted out.  Enjoy your day, everyone, whatever the weather!  xx


16 comments:

  1. We all seem to be sorting out! Except I've come to a bit of a (temporary) halt, as you know. Notebook is at hand though, to write down things I need to do when the decluttering bug hits me again....as per your suggestion! Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the time of the year but you have a more exciting reason on top of that.
      Notebooks are so very handy, aren't they - I love a good notebook. xx

      Delete
  2. Yes, you really do have to get stuck in while there's motivation to sort stuff out ... it dwindles so quickly if you don't keep at it ... I wonder how I know that, haha!

    Which Facebook group do you admin for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I wonder . . .

      There's a few, all part of a group of frugal-y sort of groups. The ones I do most in are 'Slimming on a Shoestring', 'Cooking for One' and 'Feed yourself for a pound a day'.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Brilliant. I'm in the Feed Yourself for a Pound a Day group, and the sister group 50p a Day. It's nice to be able to give something back after living through those times myself and making it out the other side with some experience. Sadly, there are a lot of people that really need both those groups at the moment aren't there.

      Delete
  3. Like you I'm sure looking forward to being able to peg out wash loads again - a small thing but a practical pleasure in the spring
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The washing smells so much nicer, doesn't it? Fresh and sunny. xx

      Delete
  4. I struggle with my balance as well but because of a dodgy knee rather than ankle issues. Do you think the exercises are helping improve your balance? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same and it's a blimmin nuisance.

      Delete
    2. Um . . good question. It's definitely better, yes, but it still isn't great which is why I asked Lindsey if we could focus on it more in PT sessions. Watch this space . . . xx

      Delete
  5. I've put us on an essentials only shopping ban. I really need to work my way through the cupboards and freezer before buying any more food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if there's a lot of us in the same boat here. It's actually quite exciting in a way, looking for recipes that match what I have and trying them out. What do you think? xx

      Delete
  6. I had to throw a few things out as well that were way past date. I felt bad and now promise to make sure I am rotating things correctly.

    So sorry about your friends water situation and I am glad they got it sorted out quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite embarrassing, isn't it? I also feel bad when I have to throw food out.

      Thanks - it was good that it was easily repaired. xx

      Delete
  7. There's a certain temperature that I just can't get warm at. Usually I end up warming up when I cook tea at night or just soak in a bath. Glad you were able to finally get warm!

    I do keep a few extras on hand, not a lot, but just so if it does snow or the weather is bad I don't have to go out for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd really. The heating can be on and I'm still chilly. Maybe it's to do with a damp atmosphere. I don't know. xx

      Delete