Thursday 12 January 2023

Thursday, 12-01-23

Morning, everyone.  It's a dull and windy start again but that's OK.  Maybe it will clear up a bit later - the Beeb forecast seems to think it will so fingers crossed.

Seeing as we had sunshine in the morning yesterday, I got the upright freezer done and dusted.  I was pleased that there was hardly anything that needed to be thrown out.  I hate waste but sometimes it just needs to be done.  Now I am thinking about the chest freezer - that will be easier in a way as I can audit first - just about everything is in bags that can be lifted out, sorted through and placed back until I'm ready to defrost.  And then they will just lift out and back in again as and when.  Maybe I will start the audit today and see how it goes.

I'm glad I got it done because the clouds rolled back over again and by the time I left for personal training, it was chucking it down.  PT was, as always, great; I enjoy it so very much even though it is hard work at times, and Lindsey seems to think I'm doing OK which is nice.

Today starts with a live Snippet - the first fifteen minutes of Lindsey's SET class.  I enjoy the punching and kicking; great for working off any frustrations and gets things nicely warmed up and working.

Then Chris is round for our weekly coffee and chat.  We always seem to have plenty to talk about and it's all good fun.  
After that, as mentioned above, I will start sorting through the bags in the freezer.  I think, in the interests of better organisation, some things can be moved sideways into the upright freezer and it will be so helpful to have a complete list of what I've got to use up.

I really ought to do something much more regularly with the freezers and then it wouldn't be such a major event.  With this in mind, I have written a memo in my diary at the start of March.  Will it work?  Goodness knows but I can try anyway.  Maybe it comes under the heading of 'consistency', one of my goals for this year.  It's not great trying to defrost once the weather warms up and if I get it done again in March, it should see me through the spring, summer and autumn months.

I'm guessing that once I get going with the freezer, the momentum will carry me on and I'll get the audit and organising finished.  As Beeb predicts a few colder days next week, maybe I can do the actual defrosting then.

How often do you do your freezer or are you one of the lucky people who has a auto defrost machine?  (is there such a thing?).

Have a lovely day, everyone.  Be happy.;  xx


18 comments:

  1. I have a fridge freezer combined…does itself…I don’t eat animals so don’t need the freezer much…also prefer fresh food versus any frozen…mine is used for ice, veggie burgers I make sometimes, and that is it…have a good day…I a, having cabbage soup…yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the soup season, isn't it? I had broccoli and butterbean soup.
      xx

      Delete
    2. High 70’s in Florida on the Gulf. I have to make my own seasonal food…lol

      Delete
    3. Ah - of course, I forgot. It sounds lovely! xx

      Delete
  2. Mine is auto defrost - an upright - so only need to give each drawer a wipe out every so often and can do them one at a time over a week so never a big job. It has one extra large drawer where I keep the bread and this is always the worst with lots of breadcrumbs collecting in the bottom. Happy defrosting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm - is it wrong to hope that at the precise moment I feel I have run my freezers down enough, they break down so I can justify getting a less troublesome one?
      Yes, probably!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Well you know my freezer situation from my posts at the moment. :-)
    I have never defrosted it, it does it all itself ... so much easier. I even have some space in there now that I have eaten a few things!!

    Back in Wales I defrosted the big chest freezer about once every two years, it was quite a good freezer. Like you I had things in bags (using the sturdy Aldi style bags) that I could lift out and work from, and day to day things in the fridge freezer in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's two years since I did the chest freezer too. I meant to do it last winter but can't remember doing so. They don't frost up as much as the upright ones anyway.
      You're doing well!!
      xx

      Delete
  4. Well done sorting the freezer. It's something I have to do and am putting off as I know there are things that will have to go and that makes me feel bad. I really haven't kept on top of it lately. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy to let it all go a bit, I think. One of things you have to remember to do and it's not that much fun really. I've certainly neglected it recently too.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Shhh, I really need to get mine done as well. I just need a really cold day so I can put the food outside on the deck to keep it frozen. I think probably closer to next month.

    It sounds like you have a lovely day planned.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < whispers > Sorry! Cold days are definitely the best though, for that sort of task. xx

      Delete
  6. I have chest freezers which are basically rectangular boxes you throw your food in. You can get a few baskets and they need to be defrosted. One still has a cow in it from a few years ago so it needs to be sorted, meat thawed and reground for ground beef (mince) or tossed. I would love a freezer with drawers but never seen them in my part of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front opening ones have drawers here and the chest ones usually come with two or maybe three trays that fit on top. It's just too easy for the main part to become impossibly muddled which is why I use big bags. I used to use plastic boxes but the bags are so much easier to lift out and in again.

      I remember my (ex/late) MiL used to buy what she called 'half a coo' (Scottish) which she bagged up in portions and froze.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like it would be more economical to buy self defrosting…prob take less electricity also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly be a time saver, that's for sure. When the time comes, whenever that will be, I will go for a self defroster. Much more convenient. I never thought about power but certainly you wouldn't have to raise the temperature and then freeze down again - not that I do it nearly often enough really!
      xx

      Delete
  8. I bought a friend a pair of freezer gloves (off the internet) for Christmas. She and her husband have trouble with cold hands when sorting to the bottom of their chest freezer. She said they are fabulous and by far the best present they had this Christmas.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezer gloves? That sounds interesting and, possibly, an 'essential?' I will take a look. xx

      Delete