Friday 6 January 2023

Friday, 06-01-23

Morning, all.  It's Friday already and it's so nice to be back into a normal routine again.  I know I keep saying this but it really is!  It's still dark but Beeb weather tells me that it's mild and dry outside.  I'll go with that!

Yesterday was quite busy, one way and another.  Everything festive is now sorted out apart from the tree itself, although there's some stuff laid out on one of the beds in the spare room as I want to go through it and re-gift/recycle some things I haven't used this year.
Chris and I went out to Writtle to Robyn's Nest and had a lovely lunch together.  I had a brie and bacon toastie and it was absolutely delicious.  There was a pretty substantial side salad too so I left feeling very satisfied.
In the Evening, Dave popped over to take a good wodge of Christmas cake, the Christmas wine for him an Anna (better late than never) and their Christmas pressies from my brother, John.  He couldn't stay but we are going to arrange a Friday supper together soon and can catch up then.


Today, being the 6th of January, was the last gift to myself day.  I do like reed diffusers and, increasingly, you can get refills for them which is great.  I'll put this one out straight away, I think, probably in my bedroom.

















Right now, I am enjoying the Christmas tree lights one more time.

Today starts with Slimming World and I must remember to leave earlier because it's the first week in the temporary venue which is right in town.  Jen had difficulty finding anywhere during the day, I think, and this is not within walking distance.

Once home, I will be dismantling the Christmas tree and getting the storage boxes back into the garage where they will stay for eleven months.  The house is pretty tidy for the cleaners so that will be OK and I do have to do a small shop for fresh stuff and also drive down to the garage for some petrol - that latter will do me for the month unless I have any unexpected journeys.

Have a good Twelfth Night, whatever you have planned.    xx

22 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued with your 'presents to myself' activity. How do you work this? Can you give details of preparation etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margaret.
      It's a post-Christmas, 'let myself down gently' by celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas personal tradition. Through the year I get twelve little gifts for myself, wrap them up nicely and pop them in a bag. Then, during the Twelve Days of Christmas (from Boxing Day to today), I lucky dip one gift each day.
      The theory is that if I get them early enough, I will forget what they are by the time Christmas arrives. In practise, I don't entirely forget but it is still a nice treat to myself after Christmas. Ideally, someone else should do it but I am solo and also get things I absolutely know I really like and will use.
      Today is the last day and I will miss not opening a little something tomorrow. It's been fun.
      xx

      Delete
    2. We had such a miserable Christmas day that we opened all our presents at once when Tony got home from hospital.

      Delete
    3. I don't blame you. You needed cheering up and I hope it helped a bit. All these little things we do for ourselves are for a purpose. It's nice, yes, but it's saying 'we matter, we're worth it' and that's such a good and positive thing to do. xx

      Delete
  2. You would think I should know what day it actually is by today, but then my hairdresser went and ruined it for me and moved my usual Tuesday 9.30am appointment to today (Friday) at 9am.

    Your toasty sounds delicious ... but every time you mention Robyn's Nest I think of that comedy in the 1970's that I think was a spin off from Man About the House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How remarkably careless of her . . . But I'm all out of kilter this week too, despite things starting up regularly again. It's all those days that should have been bank holidays but weren't!

      I remember the name vaguely but I don't think I ever watched either of them. xx

      Delete
  3. A lovely little 'me gift' the reed diffuser. Our decorations have been down a few days now......love to see them go up - love to see them put away!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Win-win, isn't it. I've done all mine now and am trying to stay awake. I think I need another coffee. xx

      Delete
  4. Hope you've had a good day and that SW weigh in went well for you.

    I'm going to miss opening my Twelve Days gifts as well ... sometimes it's nice to treat yourself like that, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, very much. I know 'things' don't define self care but a few treats can make a big difference.

      I did, thanks, it's been a very pleasant day. I hope you've had a good day too. xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Joy
    My son is a Star Trek fan so I showed him your post about this year's nativity scene joke. We've been waiting for the promised explanation. I don't think I've missed it, so could you please put us out of our misery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't missed it, no. Really sorry - I'll work on it this weekend. Thanks for the prompt.
      Beth was asking when I was going to post it too. xx

      Delete
  6. I had every intention of sorting myself some Twelve Days of Christmas gifts, but the run up to the day itself was so busy, that I never did get round to it. Maybe this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, you (and I) have plenty of time to think about it and get it started off. :-) xx

      Delete
  7. After the success of your 12 days gifts, I took the plunge this week and took out a six month subscription to a craft box. We don’t buy christmas gifts for each other but decided I was going to treat myself to something I would enjoy. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really interesting - which one have you subscribed to?
      I think that's a great idea. xx

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of twelve little gifts so I am going to follow suit next year. I am always stuck for ideas for my sister at Christmas so am thinking I might do the same for her too. Thank you once again for your inspiration.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really nice idea - a gift that continues for several days and, while I just put mine in a Christmas themed shopping bag, if it's a gift, it could be 'hampered up' beautifully.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Love your 12 days of Christmas gifts. I am trying to be ultra frugal this year, but there is always next year for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so clever with your hands, maybe you could make some little gifts for yourself through the year and tuck them away. A knitted hat, perhaps, or wrist warmers, etc. xx

      Delete
  10. Love the 12 gifts idea. Our Christmas tree was down a couple days after Christmas. Don't know why, but we always take it down before the new year. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do and I can understand why. A nice, clear start to the New Year has appeal, just as keeping the brightness going does too.
      I gather the late queen used to keep everything up in Sandringham until 6th February because that was the anniversary of her father's death. Mind you, I bet she didn't have to dust them!!!
      xx

      Delete