Tuesday 1 September 2020

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  A pinch and a punch for the first of the month and white rabbits to everyone as September begins.  I tend to go by the astronomical date for the start of Autumn which, this year, is September 22nd but lots of people go by the meteorological date, September 1st. 
Whichever it is, there's no doubt that we can have some very fine weather in September; cooler mornings and evenings with lovely, sunny days and, of course, lengthening nights.  I rather love autumn - the aromas, the colours, the sunsets, the celebrations.  So lovely.

(thank you, Google Images)
The autumn term was always my favourite term too, as a teacher.  There are so many lovely things happening, interesting things that lend themselves to great crafts and enjoyable 'work'.  Christmas, of course, is the climax to the term and I always loved being involved in and, in later year, producing the infant Christmas show, not to mention making gifts and decorations and those ubiquitous paper chains that had to be made to a self-chosen repeating colour sequence (bit of Y1 maths there!).
I wonder what it will all be like this year, all those events and celebrations that punctuate the autumn term.  Different, I am sure.

Yesterday stayed fine and warm enough to feel comfortable.  No heating needed yesterday, thank goodness.
I had a lovely swim in the morning.  There must have been near the maximum number of people in the pool but everyone's got the idea now and it all worked really well.  There are three lanes for faster swimmers and a wider line for us snails where we meander obediently around the edge of the lane while anyone slightly faster went up and down the middle of the lane.  Plenty of room and no holdups.

After lunch, I didn't feel at all inclined to get up and do anything but the car really did need a clean out and a tidy up.  It's been used as a carrier of things to the allotment and back all summer so there was a lot of dried grass and dust/dried mud, etc and there's no way I would want it to go to its service on Wednesday looking like that.
It took a good couple of hours as I had everything out that would come out, the sweeper was applied rigorously to all the carpeting and seats, things got put away, I 'rationalised' the shopping bags (chucked out the old ones that were falling apart) and sorted out the allotment box which is now in the shed as it shouldn't be needed much more this year.  I also applied a bit of elbow grease to the windscreen and dashboard, wing mirrors, etc.  The only thing I didn't do was wash the outside as they will do that on Wednesday as part of the service and it wasn't as awful as the inside anyway.
By the time I had finished it was as clean and tidy inside as any car of mine has ever been and I was ready for a sit down, a cuppa tea and a clear conscience!

Today I have a very busy morning.  I'm off for an early morning tuition, then back home for another one.  There's no more for the rest of this week now; the children are back at school on Thursday after a training day tomorrow and my proper timetable starts on Monday

Then I have an aquacise class booked so it's off in my nice, inwardly clean car to the gym.

The rest of the day will have to be homey stuff.  There's washing, drying, ironing, changing sheets - all that sort of normal stuff to do.  It keeps me out of trouble, anyway!
Hoping you stay out of trouble too - have a fab day and be happy.  xx



9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your blog. I have had to delete so many on my list here in the states...political...complaining about Covid restrictions...too much stress.Yours is so refreshing. Thank you...I don't always comment as my IPAD and IPHONE don't permit that for some reason...have to get on the laptop...keep writing please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you so much, Brenda.
      I don't really see the point in grumbling too much although I do occasionally have a whinge in here. Politics do seem to bring out the less appealing side of things, I think, so, apart from the occasional mutter, I like to stay off that sort of thing.
      Don't worry about not commenting. It's lovely that you read and enjoy. Thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I have to book my car in for its service, now long overdue thanks to the lockdown. You're much better than me because I won't clean it out until after the service! I have every intention of keeping the car clean and tidy but always fail miserably!

    Hope you've had a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don;t usually; I just make sure they can get to the spare tyre without too much hassle. However, it was so awful I really felt I had to and it felt good once it was done!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Happy September 1st, Joy! It feels like Fall is coming now that we are in this new month. I have one tutor student and I enjoy having an opportunity to teach a little. This time of year always brings memories of school starting to retired teachers like us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I still think of it as the start of the year in some ways.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Like you the start of fall is in late September. However the cold weather we have been getting over the past week makes me think it could be here already.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has felt a little 'ahead' this year. Even the plants. Quite odd, in a way.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I've missed you too, welcome back. Being retired now, my pupils come after school and it's great to hear what's going on. Funnily enough, I dreamed of being back at school last night although it seemed to be situated in the hall of my Dad's home. Very odd!
    xx

    ReplyDelete