Monday 8 October 2018

Monday

Good morning, everyone.  Day four here (if you count Friday as day 1) and nearly half way through my holiday.  Yesterday was gorgeously sunny and certainly milder than Saturday although I wouldn't call it hot in any way.  I gather today will be warmer and Wednesday will be positively summer-like during the day.  Bring it on!

I took some photos of the apartment.  They're not all that good and the light is poor but you can get the idea.

From the door down to the main living area.


First on the left is the loo.  A good size with an automatic fan and lights.


Next off to the left is the bathroom with a lovely, good sized shower at the end.


Then the little kitchen which is as big as in some houses and very sensibly set out although it would be too small for two to use together.


Finally, the main area.  It's a very good space and my only complaint is that there's no really comfortable chair with a high back.  The chairs are fine, not uncomfortable, but you can't lean right back in them.  Behind the curtains is a full width window with a door opening to the balcony and that view over the lake.


Yesterday the action started with a swim.  I wasn't the only one keen to get started; when I got there a bit early there was a queue waiting for it to open but once we all trooped in, everyone seemed to disappear, presumably to grab their favourite seating place!  I like to sit just by the steps into the pool to see all the action!
The pool didn't get busy until the first wave machine session.  When the jungle drums sound a minute's warning, everyone materialises to enjoy the fun!  I swam and splashed around for an hour before getting out to people-watch/read for a while.  An advantage of this is that I almost dry off.  There are no private showers so I get dressed and come back to the apartment to shower, wash my hair and so on in comfort, so getting dry beside the pool works well.

After that, I had my lunch  (home made veg soup and delicious!) and then set off for the day's walk.  Yesterday I took the 'inner' path around the village (which takes around 45 minutes at my pace with all the stopping and looking).  It was very pleasant with other walkers and cyclists and now and again where were little paths beside the lake.  The squirrels were very busy gathering and burying their winter store of nuts, almost oblivious of passers by although they did seem to keep one eye on us all, just in case.

On the way back there had obviously been a bit of breeze as there were some fresh chestnuts on the ground.  It doesn't take long before the squirrels and birds get to them!  So I foraged about six nice looking nuts and, when home, looked up how to cook them.  I washed them, cut crosses in the harder outer skin and tossed them on the tray my veg were roasting on for about half an hour and, wow, they were so delicious.  I shall do the same today, just as a snack, I think.
There are so many chestnut trees all over the village.  Lucky wildlife!


Today is more of the same only I will really try to remember my camera!  I've planned my afternoon walk which will be around the Country Club area of the village, where I stayed in June, and I might treat myself to a coffee at the Forester's Inn if I remember to take some money with me.

And I will take some photos if I remember my camera!

I really am having a lovely time!

7 comments:

  1. Looks lovely and I am glad the weather is cooperating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane. It would be a lovely holiday anyway but having sunshine does make it pleasant. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, freshly roasted chestnuts, in a paper cone, I've almost forgotten the taste ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the apartment, Joy, except I'd like more comfy chairs, but there is always something isn't there, no matter how much attention has gone into such places, that one might improve upon. No matter, it looks really lovely, and I'm glad you are having such a good time. Unlike you, I would hate to 'dry off' by the pool. Whenever I went in a swimming pool what I disliked the most was being wet when I came out and the chillier air hitting my body and my swim suit clinging to me. I used to take my towel with me so that I could grab it right away and put it around my shoulders and then make a dash for the warm showers so I could get warm and then dry and dressed. I think you are a water baby whereas I'm very much happier not in water but on dry land!
    How lovely to pick up sweet chestnuts - not done that since I was at school and there were chestnut trees near by.
    Enjoy the rest of your stay.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are lovely, Annabeth. I picked up a load more this morning as I came back from getting the paper. I'm not sure they will go with what I've planned for dinner so they can be a snack instead.

    Margaret, I do know what you mean but the difference is that this is a 'sub-tropical' swimming dome and the air is lovely and warm. It's a delight to sit and relax. I do love being in the water, always have done. I'm not any sort of swimmer but I feel comfortable and safe in the water and I love that it's such great exercise at the same time. All that supported water resistance is so good for muscles and joints and it gives me a real buzz.
    The chestnuts are so good and even better for being free. I am sure the squirrels don't mind really.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apartment looks really nice - we had a chalet with two bedrooms when our family went and so had a sofa and easy chairs. The bathroom looks similar and the full width window.
    Glad you are having good weather and time for a bit of foraging! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to bring Beth here sometime and, if that happens, we will have a two bedroomed chalet, I think. That would be nice too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete