Tuesday 17 October 2023

Tuesday, 17-10-23

 Morning, everyone.  Winter seems to have retreated again - it is much milder this morning and we might very well get some sunshine.  Bring it on!

The trip on Thursday looks really good although rain is predicted.  When we arrive there, we will be met by cathedral staff, split into two groups and one group will visit the Stained Glass Museum while the other group has a guided tour of the Cathedral.  Then we swap over.
That will leave time to have lunch and visit the market (which looks worth a visit) or do something else before we set off for shorter visits to two churches and home by around six/six thirty.  It sounds great to me.

Now I've started looking for things I need to get for the Christmas jaunt, there's things I have never ever considered buying before and I have questions.
For instance, while I am fine with thermal underwear, when it says waterproof and windproof trousers, which are best, over trousers that I can wear over jeans and long johns (goodness, it makes me feel old just writing that) or would the proper trousers be better?  Does anyone know anything about this - if so, please do post in comments with your advice.
Also, if over-trousers are the way to go, do I need a size larger?
Thank you in advance.

Circuits was brilliant yesterday - there were seven of us, full group, so it was lively and chatty and, personally, I felt pretty strong.  It varies, you know; sometimes I don't and go for the lower impact options.

Today starts with Groove.  Chris is coming as well today.  It's very nice to have someone to go with.  Next week is half term (how can it be half term already) so no classes which gives me totally free days to get other things done - especially the shed as work will start the following Monday.

And talking of that, after Groove and breakfast, I will be looking at kitchen units in B&Q and I think Homebase and Wickes also have them.  I just want nice and clean looking, I don't want up-market and posh - that would be a total waste.  I also want to look at fake plants.  I don't want real plants out there - I would never remember to water  them enough but fake would do.

So it looks as if I will be out and about a fair bit today.  Nice.  I hope you have a productive day too.  xx

16 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's half-term already. Good luck with your purchases and research. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will get there.
      It's crazy how the time is flying past, isn't it.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Best to try over trousers on before you buy - the sizes seem to be a rough guide only.
    Lovely to be making travel plans x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned about that. Thanks, Alison. xx

      Delete
  3. I would suggest you go to somewhere like Blacks or Cotswold outdoors and ask their advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there are any close by. I will Google and take a look - many thanks. xx

      Delete
  4. It really depends on what excursions you plan, but I would avoid jeans (horrible if they get even slightly damp) and go for fleece or fleece lined trousers (see Cotton Traders for a selection) over long johns plus over trousers. Make sure that the over trousers will go on without taking your boots off for maximum flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks . and guess what arrived on my doorstep yesterday - the new Cotton Traders catalogue. Yay! xx

      Delete
  5. Sorry, that last anon comment was from me, Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you do try on the waterproof over trousers make sure you can sit down with them on too as with so many layers it can be tricky!!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - good point. Thanks - I might not have thought of that one. xx

      Delete
  7. I think the over trousers would be best as you can wear them in warmer, wet weather as well. I agree that trying them on first over what you plan on wearing is a great idea. You do want to be comfortable.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do, Jackie. Very much so.
      Thanks. xx

      Delete
  8. Hope the weather is good for the trip!

    I wear thermals under my trousers - it gets cold here you know! If you're thinking you might get wet jeans aren't a good idea. They are heavy, stiff and rub wrong when they get wet and they take forever to dry! I'd recommend thicker trousers - you can get some ones (at least over hear) specifically for hiking that are lined. If you get over-the trousers things I think you just buy your normal size. Trying them on first is a must. I have some snow trousers given to me by MIL but they are much too big. I usually just wear them if I'm taking snow photos outside lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, it's not looking great. Ho hum!
      You all say much the same about jeans so thank you for that. It means I need to get some trousers - better put them on the list!
      xx

      Delete