Friday 20 October 2023

Friday, 20-10-23

 Morning, everyone.
I'm starting with an apology.  Yesterday evening, the internet connection kept crashing and it was taking so long to get my photos uploaded, in the end I gave up.  I got the food photos done and decided the evening wasn't long enough for the rest
So today's blog is words and later on today I will work on the photos for tomorrow's post.  Fortunately, my connections seems to be back to normal today.

We were so lucky with the weather.  It was drizzling a bit when we set off but we obviously moved out of the rain and Ely was dry and even sunny occasionally with just one downpour.

We started at the cathedral where we had a guided tour from a gentleman who looked and sounded worryingly like Gyles Brandreth.  Unfortunately, he wasn't as interested as Gyles although he did give us plenty of information about the history of the place.  It was quite stunning both inside and out.  Very Norman (big and bossy!!) but with such a sense of space and airiness.
The stained glass museum was absolutely fascinating.  After an introductory talk from a lady who, oddly, reminded me rather of Sue Perkins.  She certainly knew her onions as far as stained glass was concerned.  Then she took us round, going into more depth now and then.  It was good.


I had a little wander round that part of town (lovely buildings and lots of charity shops!) before having lunch in the Cathedral Almonry restaurant (delicious) and then heading back to the coach.  As I left the Almonry, it was obvious that there had been a very heavy shower of rain that I had been completely oblivious to!  Lucky me!

Here's what I had and it was delicious for such a simple lunch.


I had some nice chats to people on the coach.  One lady was, almost inevitably, a mum of a pupil from decades ago - I recognised her and we had a little chat.  Another lady, catching my name, asked me about a Christmas song I wrote, again, decades ago, for the kids at school which a local musician had mentioned (how on earth and why???) and wanted to use in something.  I said 'tell her I'm on Facebook!'  Interesting but probably nothing will come of it.
And another lady gave me contact info for another coach company that's doing a trip to Ely for the craft and gift fair which she says is always very good.  I'll look that up later today.

We then visited two village churches that feature Rosemary Rutherford inspired/designed stained glass but I will talk more about that when I have the photos.  Suffice it to say it was stunning.

Finally, on the way home, there's always a raffle.  A seat number is drawn and the prize is a £10 voucher towards another coach trip.  You know what's coming next, don't you.  Yes, I won it.  Very nice!

As we entered Chelmsford, the drizzle started again!

Again, apologies for no photos, but I have to be out for Slimming World group.  I'll definitely post them tomorrow (assuming the connection remains up and running).
In the meanwhile, have a lovely day, everyone.  I hope the weather hasn't been too bad for you.  xx

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day Joy (and congrats on the prize), I shall look forward to seeing the photos. Isn't it annoying when the internet keeps dropping out? (happens here regularly). I think we escaped most of the bad weather, apart from a few short but heavy showers - unlike people in Scotland. Fingers crossed for a good weigh in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty irritating, for sure. Mostly the connection round here is really good but it does have its moment.

      I gather Suffolk had some rough weather - SUe, is that correct?- but round here we have been lucky so far.
      xx

      Delete
  2. What an interesting day out. Hope internet co-operates for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue - I got them all uploaded eventually, thank goodness. xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great day out, congratulations on winning the raffle! Annabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it very much. It was more organised than the WIndsor trip so the 'vibe' was different. xx

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a lovely day out. Tony and I would have loved the stained glass. Well done on winning the raffle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really would, Cherie. Both the museum and the Rutherford art were so lovely. xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely day out. Funny about the guides reminding you of famous names, made me smile x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So a lovely day and a billy-bonus to win the raffle..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. That's a tenner off the next one now. Can't complain at that, cen you? xx

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a lovely, satisfying day, meeting pleasant people and seeing different places. Have you decided on another trip so that you can use your bonus voucher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. They may just be 'little' local trips but very satisfying and so easy when you don't have ton drive, find parking, etc. xx

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day you had. Yes!!! on winning the voucher. Looking forward to the pictures of your trip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie, it was good and the raffle was the icing on the cake. xx

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a nice day at Ely. It's really interesting. I enjoyed the cathedral when I went with Mum. I recall visiting there several times as a child too as we used to get the week rail tickets (when they had a week Anglia ticket - dating myself!) for cheap and it was one of the places you could go too.

    Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a place with some history behind it and Ely has that in spades. I'm glad you have lovely memories of the place. xx

      Delete