Monday 23 October 2023

Monday, 23-10-23

Good morning and we're back to what passes for normal this morning.

As I've missed a couple of days, I thought I'd do a quick (quick????) sort of resume.

Friday:  Slimming World saw me with a small gain.  While fluctuations are normal and I'm still within my target range (which is three pounds below actual target or three pounds above, so seven altogether, this is a new road so I'm being careful this week.
I got my letter from the DWP about the annual winter fuel payment.  There's also a cost of living payment which puts it up to £500, which is really nice.  What with the buffer money I have with British Gas, it should see me through the winter unless it turns absolutely arctic which is not predicted at the moment).  So that was good.
Also, a sparkly jacket I ordered from Tu arrived (bought for the cruise) so, with what I bought on Thursday (I think it was Thursday), means that I'm more or less OK for posh clothes.  I just need to focus on that outdoor stuff now.

Saturday:  It was supposed to be one of our walks on Saturday but, obviously, it was cancelled.  It was pouring but, even if it wasn't, it wouldn't happen because we're all golden oldies and not only would the route be very muddy, it would also be slippery with mushy, wet fallen leaves.  So that was off and I can't go to the next one because I am out for the day.  I've really not had much luck with these walks, have I?
I did a load of washing - at the moment there's little point waiting for a good drying day, is there?

Sunday:  I popped into town at ten, when most of the shops opened.  I found the fleecy leggings in Primark, tried them on and bought three pairs because I can see I will definitely be using them.  I tried on some joggers too but no!!  I'll keep looking.
Then I went next door to Next and, from there, on to other clothes shops.  In M&S I found a nice sparkly top but I swear clothes sizing is getting bigger again because the size 10 was too big (and I KNOW I'm a ten to twelve).  There weren't any eights so when I came home I looked online and ordered an eight.  If it's too small, I can return it.  I also did similar with a pair of ankle boots with heels.  I'm a bit unsure because I don't do heels really but they were nice.  I needed six and a halves which they didn't have so, again, they are ordered online and we will see.  I did find a pair of mock leather leggings with a thin line of sparkle down each side.
So now I am pretty well set up for the posh evenings and for the less posh but expected to be smart, trousers or leggings with nice tops, sparkly or otherwise, will be fine.  Having all these nice new clothes are proving a real incentive to not gaining any weight.  😌
I located the camera shop but didn't quite have the courage to walk in - I'll go into town later in the week again and do that.
Annoyingly, I couldn't find Rohan's - it wasn't where I thought it was so I have to check the map again before I next go into town.

(And EVERYWHERE had thermal undies!!!  Bang on trend!  LOL)

I took a few photos of a couple of my posh clothes.

I mentioned this one a few weeks ago.  I made it when I was in my twenties, during one of my healthy weight phases, around the time I had Beth and kept it because I loved it and hoped that just maybe I might wear it again.  It is quite full so perfect for maternity until the boobs get too big!!
Made with fabric from the market, rather badly (fortunately the fabric doesn't fray much), it's very flattering and I don't think it looks dated really.  Anyway, I had to turn the hem up (either I've shrunk or it's stretched a bit over the decades) and now it is perfect (I think).
This is a simple shift style dress and the sparkle is a result of light catching black sequins.  It looks really nice on and I have a three quarter sleeve jacket to go with it in the same fabric.



This is the one I am not entirely sure about but it does look a lot better on me than on the mannequin which, annoyingly, is a bit bigger than I am now so this and the dress above almost didn't fit on.  The waist is a bit higher than true waist and, as long as I wear my shaper stuff underneath, it really does look ok (sorry if that's TMI).


Anyway - with the Seasalt dress I already have, they should see me through the posher evenings.  I will just have to find excuses to wear them at other times too - or book another cruise (joke!!)



Today:  I've decided to stop pootling around and get the shed completely clear.  It might take a little while but I'll feel easier once it's done and the morning and early afternoon is supposed to be dry (and wasn't it lovely yesterday, by the way?).  Lindsey is on holiday this week and, as it's half term, there are no classes anyway.  I'll probably keep up with Snippets and access some older recordings.

So that's my quick (ha ha) catch up.   How are things doing for you?  Have you been affected by the awful weather and is it all settling again now?   Take care, everyone.  xx


16 comments:

  1. Lovely dresses. We've had some rain and the local river is running high and fast but we've had no flooding here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hester (or may I call you Sue?). OUr rivers are high too but we didn't get enough rain to cause more than a few enlarged puddles. I'm glad you're OK. xx

      Delete
  2. The dresses are really nice, including the one you made yourself (clever! I do admire people who make their own clothes). It's a timeless classic so isn't dated at all. We've had quite a lot of sharp showers recently, but no real flooding, we've been very lucky. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, what with the cost of fabrics, trimmings, patterns, etc, it is no longer an economy to make your own clothes really. I did a lot of sewing at college and in my early married with young children days but I'm well out of practise now. I did do some sewing in lockdown but it didn't continue.
      I'm glad all is well and you had no flooding. xx

      Delete
  3. It looks as if you're well set up for dressy times - very nice. You'll definitely have to find opportunities to wear them again. x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the one I'm not sure of will do for going out for dinner and that sort of thing. The black is definitely party/posh. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely morning with some great buys, size 8!! If only I was a size 16 I'd be happy after our weekend away's gain I'm even further from my interim target! And as I only lose a pound a week, it'll be a while before I'm back to where I was.. I've had dreadful insomnia again, a definitely hindrance to losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not an 8. The comments said it came up large and I'd agree with that. WHen it comes (tomorrow, I think) what's the chances iot will be too small? lol
      Insomnia is a right pain and definitely a hindrance. Keep going; you'll get there, I am sure. xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely dressy dresses there, agree thermals are trendy now - everyone is trying to keep the heating turned down!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sensible too. I'm really trying to keep mine off until next Tuesday. xx

      Delete
  7. You are all set! Having the right clothes when you travel makes such a difference! Those fleecy leggings sound wonderful. I just ordered my winter items, too. It's a life changer to be comfortable in cold climates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I feel the cold so much more now I've lost so much padding - it's the only disadvantage of losing weight that I can think of.
      You get it so much colder than we do, I think - you did last winter anyway. I'm glad you are all set too. xx

      Delete
  8. The dresses are beautiful! I don’t think the first one looks dated either. Hoping the fuel is enough to last and for a short winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. It is very reassuring that it doesn't look around fifty years old (ish). I think we are predicted a mild winter this year, but forecasts are just that, reading the signs and patterns. They're not always right.
      Time will tell, as it always does.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Really lovely dressed. I really like the first one. It's sort of Bo-ho - is that the word?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the word and, yes, it is. I was a bit Flower Power as a teen and it kind of reflects that (only ten or so years afterwards).
      Thank you.
      xx

      Delete