Tuesday 3 October 2023

Tuesday, 03-10-23

 Good morning, one and all, and welcome to Center Parcs at Elveden.  I'd very much like to say what a beautiful morning it is but , , , quite the opposite at the moment.
No, that's not true, woodland rain has its own beauty, doesn't it.  Let's just say I bet the waterfowl are happy!

The rain started yesterday, pretty much as we arrived and by the time we parked outside the lodge, it was chucking it down.  Beeb thinks it will brighten up, dry up and generally improve by this afternoon but, you know what, I'm OK whatever happens.  The main problem is that I haven't got any waterproof shoes which is stupid of me so, if it continues, I may well treat myself to some new trainers from the sports shop.  I have to get another swimming cossie because the two new ones I bought from Cotton Traders are not just a bit too big.  They don't reveal anything they shouldn't, they just don't feel supportive.  

Anyway - an easy journey here until the Sat Nav went doolally.  I really should have gone with my instincts and I wasn't really lost, just not where I wanted to be, but I've been here often enough to know what to do.  It just made the journey a bit longer.
By the way, a useful tip, if you are arriving earlier and have lodge access earlier, Get your car unloaded and instead of rushing the car straight back to the car park, wait until four when all the later arrivals are allowed on to the Parc roads to unload, then go back - there are simply loads of parking slots available for that short time.

Time for a few photos, I think.  Quality isn't great, it was a dull, gloomy old afternoon!

You enter left!  This is (obviously) the dining table, currently laid for breakfast one end and I'm at the far end, tapping away on the laptop.
Then the seating area with a handy coffee table, just big enough for buffets for three!  The French window leads out to the back, the garden furniture, brick BBQ and the sauna
The kitchen area, compact and complete with all essentials - eg, a Nespresso coffee machine and a cafetiere!
There's also a dishwasher.  Just a small one but big enough.
And my bedroom.
Beth and Al are used to sleeping in double beds so I was more than happy to take the room with two single beds as that is what I am used to.  Each bedroom is en-suite - mine and Alex's have really decent sized showers and Beth has a spa  bath - I can see we will be doing a bit of swapping around from time to time.


Almost immediately, the wildlife came to investigate, first at the front . . . 
. . . and then round the back.

He was back again this morning - at least, I am assuming he (or she - how do you tell?) was the same one but maybe not.

(and s/he's just come back, scoffing the sweet chestnuts I was thinking of picking up and roasting, for a nibble later on)

After unpacking and reparking the car, we dodged the raindrops and went first to the Park Market where we spend a frightening amount on stuff which they then delivered to the Lodge and packed it all away for us (how brilliant is that?) while we went on and had our first swim.  Bliss!

You are allowed to take photos but one should be very careful - I don't think you could recognise anyone in this photo but I probably won't take many or any more inside the swimming dome.
All of the above were taken yesterday.

Outside the front is the most beautiful sweet chestnut tree, absolutely dripping with nuts.

(oooh, just looked sideways and now there are TWO deer and a squirrel, all chomping on fallen nuts)

And here is our access path.

Spot the squirrel!

Today we want to have a swim and a walk, investigate some of the shops - well, Beth and I do, anyway - and, possibly, have lunch at the Pancake House.  Alex would like that but all evening slots are booked so it will have to be a lunchtime slot.  There are still spaces there, I've checked.
I'd also like to work out how the sauna operates and have a gentle steam away in there as well , but we're taking it gently today.  Alex has emerged and retreated again, Beth is still snoozing or resting and I must got and have my shower and then think about getting dressed.  Already there are families walking past, maybe to find breakfast.  
Have you had rain too?  I believe there were some storms around yesterday and overnight too.    
Have a lovely day everyone.  xx




16 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of Center Parcs isn't it - plenty to do but you can choose to do as much or as little as you want. And as they're all set in forests, there's lovely walks too, with wildlife to spot. Sounds like you're having a great time already. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, Sooze, it's such a relaxing place. xx

      Delete
  2. What lovely photos - I could tolerate rain with views like those! We had a bit of rain late afternoon yesterday but much brighter today. Enjoy your holiday - forests walks in Autumn are the best!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many little pathways, wheelchair friendly and pretty much vehicle free too. You just have to watch out for youthful cyclists, that's all. xx

      Delete
  3. Joy that looks like an amazing space. Is it worth sewing an old bra into the cossie for a bit of support. Obviously not while you are on holiday but maybe when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly (or maybe I mean happily) it's not just the top part. I went into Aquatique this morning and came out with two new ones. After all, I AM going on a cruise (not that that's any excuse!). xx

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing, I love that you have so much wildlife right outside your window.

    Fancy not taking any waterproof shoes with you, that is the sort of thing I usually do. Oh well you will have to buy a new pair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not - if it continues to be fine. We will see. Silly of me, wasn't it? xx

      Delete
  5. Hopefully the rain will have departed now and you can really appreciate your surroundings. Are those Sika deer? x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muntjacs - there's loads of them in the Parc and they seem very confident. xx

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your stay at Elvedon. It looks like a lovely place, especially with your sweet visitors. Hope the weather clears up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a super time, thanks. Yes, the rain stopped and the sun came out. Lovely! xx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place to visit and so well set up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Center Parcs for you - it's always been that way. The first time we ever went was the the Sherwood one the very first year C P started up in the UK and Beth and Dave were just infant age children (yes, I took them out of school, bad me) and we've loved it ever since. xx

      Delete
  8. Oh, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time. What a beautiful setting. The chestnut tree looks magical. Enjoy that sauna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will once we get round to it. :-) xx

      Delete