Friday 22 September 2023

Friday, 22-09-23

Good morning, everyone, welcome to Friday!  It's damp and misty and the ground is wet so there's been rain overnight.  It might prove to be a true autumnal morning thought, as BBC is optimistic for some sunshine.  Let's hope so!

Thank you for your comments yesterday.  All I can say is 'Patience is a Virtue'.
Seriously, I'm just not sure whether it's OK to say or not yet and will need to ask first, that's all.  After all, it's Beth's news.

It was really nice catching up with Chris yesterday morning.  We could have sat out but they have put away their garden furniture now so we didn't, we sat indoors instead.  Lots of gossip, lots of laughs.  It was all great fun.

Then I drove out to the surgery and got my shingles jab booked.  They're not doing covid at our surgery this year so, once home, I went online and booked a local slot for next Tuesday.
So that's all three jabs sorted.  Is the shingles one a one off, does anyone know, or will it be annual?

Much later, I set out to drive to Black Notley for supper with Val (and Mike).  Of course, it had started raining and by the time I was onto the main road, it was pouring.  It was so torrential, I considered stopping for a while but everyone on the road was being sensible, driving steadily and it wasn't too hard to just follow in a row like ducklings.  And, would you believe, as I passed the racecourse and turned off to Black Notley, the rain stopped and the ground was dry - they hadn't had a drop!  So surprising and makes you realise quite how localised weather can be.

Anyway, it was a lovely time with a delicious supper - thanks, Val.  Val's oldest, Becky, turned up.  (Val's youngest and my oldest are the same age) and I heard about the Great Concrete Scandal!  Becky is the head teacher at a local junior school where, when she found unsafe ceilings in the classrooms at the end of August and notified the relevant authorities, it tipped the government over into taking the blanket action they did take.  I gather she's had all sorts of government big-wigs/ministers/etc visiting and the press has been a right pain - and they are still setting up the demountables!  Fortunately, a very big hearted local entrepreneur has given his beautiful wedding venue centre over to be used as classrooms Monday to Thursday and Friday is an online school . . . but poor Becky, children, staff, parents and the entire school she cares so much about.

Today, I will be off to SEW for my first weigh in as a target member (don't need to pay, yay) and then, later on, I'm off into town to meet an old friend for lunch.  I'm a right gadabout at the moment and very nie it is too.
The house is pretty much cleaner-ready and all I have to do is get myself washed, dressed and ready to go.   Nice.

Have a lovely day, everyone.  xx

18 comments:

  1. In New Zealand the shingles jab is a two time event - both within a six month period and then that’s it. All the best. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret - it is good to know that. xx

      Delete
  2. Years ago I was walking along a high street where it was raining on one side of the road, but not the other! Very strange. Have a lovely day (you social butterfly!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been weird! Literally the sunny side of the street!
      Thanks - :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that you're having the shingles vaccination, it's one that easily gets forgotten as happened to a friend of mine who contracted shingles and it affected one of her eyes. In this country the shingles vaccination is a once only jab. Best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first year I've heard of it, to be honest, certainly the first time I have been contacted about it. It will be good to get it done, I agree, and good to know it is a one off, thanks. xx

      Delete
  4. My sister lived in Black Notely before she moved to Camberley so I know it well. It's rained pretty much non stop here all week so everything is just wet and soggy. And no let up in sight. It feels very autumnal and nearly time to switch the heating back on!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasant little place, isn't it. I meet up with two people who live there (they don't know each other) and always enjoy the drive and visiting them. xx

      Delete
  5. Annabeth is right - the shingles jab is once only and good to have. Shingles is a nasty complaint. What a lovely social time you're having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't I just - living the life in my own quiet way. xx

      Delete
  6. It was absolutely torrential rain here last night and stayed wet until after it was light, and then it suddenly brightened up so I grabbed the dogs and we went to the park for a walk. No sooner had we got to the far end of the park than the heavens opened again and it hasn't stopped since. I swear it was just out to get me!!

    I haven't heard anything about a shingles jab, Alan had shingles last year and it was very nasty so any jabs going for it and I will be first in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Alan. I've heard it can be very unpleasant and a lady in my SW group has been pretty poorly over the summer with it.
      The weather seems to have brightened up a bit here - yesterday (Friday) was pleasant - but chilly. xx xx

      Delete
  7. I think shingles is a two time shot and one is then done. Still haven't found where they are doing the Covid shot in our area, hopefully very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you find somewhere. Here you just have to Google Covid jam in my area and it takes you through it, right to the booking part. Very handy - and it is what the surgery receptionist recommended.
      xx

      Delete
  8. That's scary about the collapsing schools - I hadn't heard about it. Sounds like "false economy" doesn't pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Chris. RAAC started being used after WW2 as a quick and cheap way to rebuild essential places like schools and hospitals, but why a school built in the late 1970s used it is pure penny pinching. Definitely false economy. xx

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. You've got me thinking about Beth's news now - maybe a new job? A promotion?

    I got a letter about a Shingles jab, but haven't had one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is coming up for a pretty good pay rise but it isn't that, no. :-)
      Hope you get a booking soon. xx

      Delete