Thursday 7 September 2023

Thursday, 07-09-23

Morning, one and all, and welcome to Thursday.  It's a beautifully sunny morning, really clear unlike yesterday which was pretty hazy much of the time, and not too warm (yet!).

I haven't posted many garden photos recently.  The truth is that everything is browning off, looking slightly bedraggled and the fruiting has slowed right down - although there's three cucumbers making good progress and plenty of tomatoes still to come, I hope.

I do have some autumn fruiting raspberries in a pot though.  They're not great and I need to replace the soil, I think, but they are fruiting and these look pretty ready to pick.  I see tomorrow's breakfast - or part of it, anyway.








Yesterday was a fairly gentle day when I got some things done and not others.  So maybe I need a List!

I drove into town and went into Specsavers where they saw my problem straight away, took away my glasses and returned with them perfectly comfortable.  The headaches have gone and I have stopped disliking them.  As I was staying in town for a short while, she said to do my shopping and then come back if I wasn't entirely happy, but there was no need.

It is most unfortunate (or very fortunate, depending on your p.o.v.) that Next and Primark are right next to each other.
I wanted to go to Next anyway because I bought a top there which I really love and wear a lot but it is perhaps a bit loose on me.  It shouldn't be as it's a 10 but I guess it's meant to be a loose fit anyway.
I wanted to look for the same top in an 8 (I can't believe I am saying that!!) and, although they didn't have the same fabric, they had the same top in a different fabric that I really loved so I got it (and will wear it).
Then I had a brainwave (well, it was a brainwave for me, anyway) and went on line later on and they have the exact same on online in an 8 so that's arriving at some point.  Very naughty of me but it is a lovely top and one I will wear and wear.  

Then I popped into Primark and bought a body warmer in a lovely plum colour for when the days get just a bit colder but you don't really need a coat.  Also a cheap backpack handbag in black (which I needed) and some slippers (also needed).

And, finally, I went into John Lewis because I'm trying out some Jo Malone perfumes (I was something new to take on the cruise) and every time I'm in town, I try one and see what it's like a couple of hours later.  Yesterday's was a no!
I can always fall back on Joy or Chanel 5 but . . .
(Yes, they are disgracefully expensive but they do last for a very long time)

One of these days I will return home without having bought earrings but yesterday wasn't that day.  John Lewis again and did I feel guilty?  Maybe, slightly.  :-)

Once home, I just did the usual stuff and then got on with my crochet.  I'm doing one more row of hexagons and then the in fills before thinking of a border and then it is done.

Today, the biggie apart from coffee and chat with Chris is . . .


. . . this.

No, I don't mean the crochet, I mean getting it sorted for the cleaners.
It's my 'corner' where I always sit and, surprise, surprise, I didn't tidy it up before bed yesterday.

To be fair, it looks worse than it really is, like most of my clutter corners, but it does need sorting out and today's the day!
(because last week the lovely cleaners came early and were there when I got back from SW so I HAVE to sort it out today, in case they come early again.  
I really can't leave a mess like that for them to negotiate, can I?  That would be most unfair.

Also, I didn't do my finance update yesterday so today's the day!

Have a lovely day, everyone, and enjoy this sunshine we are having (in the UK, I mean).  Be good!  xx

14 comments:

  1. I can see it would be a bit hard to clean around that! Lol! How wonderful to fit into a size 8, very well done. It's already too hot (muggy and unpleasant) here, Betty, sensibly, is lying in front of the fan! Enjoy your day, Joy (and how lovely to have a perfume named after you!! teehee).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL - I've looked it up and Joy perfume started in 1930. Even I'm not that old!!!!!
      I'm not really an 8, of course, it's just that particular cut, but it's done my ego a power of good!
      Betty is extremely sensible! xx

      Delete
  2. I have been enjoying a quick catch up, and I have to say your crochet is gorgeous. Your blanket will be perfect for those chilly evenings, which we will, no doubt, be getting very soon.
    Yesterday sounded very productive. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'll definitely get some good use out of it as I am determined not to turn up the heating too readily this winter (unless I HAVE to, of course).
      It was a good day; I just didn't do everything I had planned to do, that's all. It was hot, that's my excuse!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hot days are designed for taking it easy. It's not going to be hot for much longer, then we shall be bemoaning the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. What on earth would we moan about if we didn't moan about the weather? xx

      Delete
  4. Well, you shouldn’t feel guilty at all! I bet you’ve worked so hard during your working life! Seeing your crochet has made me think about the winter months. I can crochet and might well start doing that again. I also want to do ‘slow stitching’…something that people keep mentioning when they’ve been buying my packs of vintage fabric. So I’m on a mission to collect bits for that right now! It’s very warm and humid here in south Devon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not come across that term but am assuming it means hand sewing of various kinds. I'll look it up . . .
      xx

      Delete
  5. Just read the above comment about slow stitching - I love that, it's a great way to relax, I make little panels then mount them on greetings card blanks - loads of stuff online about it x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely look it up - thanks, Sal and Alison. xx

      Delete
  6. I think that sort of mess can be tidied away in five minutes and then your cleaners will have free rein to whizz in and around for you. I don't blame you at all for treating yourself to two tops, after all you have a cruise to look forward to and they will come in very handy ... as will earrings, a handbag and a body warmer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue - just what I needed to hear. It's that balance between absolute necessity and 'would he useful'. I tend toward the latter (in case you hadn't noticed!) Hee hee
      xx

      Delete
  7. Just a comfortable busy work station with everything necessary in easy reach! If you find something that you really like then go for it because it'll suit you and make you feel good and you'll make good use of it. Annabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good corner, yes, and actually easy to tidy up. I've finished the hexagons so I don't need to keep the blanket spread out any more.
      xx

      Delete