Saturday 9 September 2023

Saturday, 09-09-23

 Good morning, everyone.  Another scorcher yesterday - it hit 31.5C in the shade which is hot for round here)  so it was all fans to the pump and drawn curtains.  It works quite well although there are times when I long for air con like Mum and Dad had.  If I had a suitable outside wall for the unit, I'd get it like a shot, but I don't so I can't.
Today is expected to be the same.  At the moment it is hazy, as it was yesterday.

Look what I've just picked.  For a small garden and limited growing space, I'm quite chuffed.

I'm pondering which types of tomatoes I want to get next year now.  Some I probably won't bother with and a few I have no idea about because they were from Julia - notably those big yellow ones and they are the first to ripen on that plant so I will have to taste them.
I bought both honeycomb and sungold to compare and, to be honest, there's so little difference, one or the other would be fine.
I'm definitely getting sweet aperitifs, if I can - just like sweet millions so I wonder if it's the same but with a name change.

Little Runt lives up to his name by producing little courgettes but they taste great.

And I will need to overload my salads with cucumber, won't I?

The tomatoes, in particular, have really enjoyed the sunshine and warmth of this week.  However, it looks as if I might get enough green ones left to make some chutney - I do hope so as I'm getting to the end of the chutney I made using a recipe Sue C gave me.  She said she wasn't that keen but her husband loved it; I made it and it might have been a bit bland at first (still very nice though) but now it has matured to utter deliciousness so I must see if I can find it.  I'm pretty sure I saved it but, if not, I may be pestering you, Sue, for another copy, pretty please.

I had a good result at Slimming World, much to my surprise.  Now I am so close to getting back to my target again, I can almost touch it.  Here's hoping . . .

A text came through from my surgery and now I have my flu jab booked for early next Saturday morning.  That's good!

I did some ironing while it was still fairly cool but there's a bit left for this morning.  That's pretty much the only housework (apart from the daily cleaning, of course - loo, bathroom and kitchen) for today because my lovely cleaners did the rest so I will get on with my crochet and search out that jacket pattern I want.
So a nice, gentle, easy day all round.  Perfect for this weather.
Stay cool, folks, and hydrated.  xx


10 comments:

  1. You clearly have green fingers - what a lovely harvest this morning:-) x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really don't although that's very kind of you. I manage to kill a lot of plants off but tomatoes seem to like me so that's good! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely haul there - makes all the work worthwhile x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I've made inroads into both the tomatoes and the cucumber. So delicious!
      xx

      Delete
  3. There's been no air about today and looks like we're in for another uncomfortable night. Your produce looks lovely and totally irresistible. Enjoy!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too - the most uncomfortable day so far! Thank goodness for fans. xx

      Delete
  4. You should be very chuffed with what you’ve grown! It looks wonderful and so colourful. It’s been airless here and apparently, the hottest day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal. It wasn't great yesterday, was it? I wonder about today (Sunday) now. xx

      Delete
  5. What a great harvest. So lovely and colourful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways it reminded me of that artist who used fruit and veg in his pictures to make faces etc. What's the name - ah, Archimboldo, I think. xx

      Delete