Saturday 2 September 2023

Saturday, 02-09-23

Good morning, everyone.  I woke very early after a great night's sleep and it is quite mild at the moment.  The French window is open, letting the air in and it feels lovely.

Well, where do I start.  Yesterday was quite a day.

First of all, Slimming World.  After my co-codamol induced slight gain last week, I was hopeful for this week but didn't expect three and a half pounds off.
Then it was time to vote for our group's 'Woman of the Year' and looky look!

I was so surprised and happy.

After group, I came home and the cleaners were already there, doing their usual wonderful stuff, so I finished off my list and headed for Sainsbury's to get out of their way.
As expected, I spent quite a lot but now I'm all set up for the month as far as non-food items are concerned.  Also, as a sort of 'well done' to myself, I suppose, I bought a denim jacket, something I've been wanting for quite a while.

Dave, Anna and the food turned up and we'd pretty much finished eating (lovely, delicious food, very acceptable wine and great company) when Anna checked her phone and discovered a message from Beth saying that Peter was home.  No more details at that point and I'm afraid I cried!  I've been worried for Peter himself, of course, but more worried about the impact his disappearance was having on Beth.

This is what Beth posted later on last night:

Oh my goodness. So, 48 hours ago we heard there was a sighting of Peter near some allotments. We searched the allotments and Alex caught a glimpse of a cat he thought was Peter, and he had a red tag, but was scared by the flashlights and ran away. I sat there calling for a good hour after we left the allotment, and a nearby resident scaled the fence to look in. But it was a lead.
We targeted that area, and some hedgerow by the railway line. My sister in law Anna Taylor was round that area earlier today and I know Diana Bond was there this evening, not to mention sundry allotmenteers and neighbours who had been looking out/ calling.
I simultaneously had a call and a message at about 7pm to say they had seen Peter. Got down there and called... and Peter answered! Loudly! It took another 10 minutes of howling and a bowl of Whiskas shoved through the fence before he would show himself, and as soon as possible I grabbed him and hauled him through the bars and into the basket.
Got him home as soon as possible, and I can pinpoint the point he started to recognise his surroundings as he stopped howling and started sniffing... he started howling again once inside but after 10 mins or so remembered who he was and who I was and that actually he has 8 days of cuddles to catch up on thank you very much and that was that.

That was that indeed. She also posted a few photos - here's one. Catching up on sleep, obviously!


It's wonderful how Beth's neighbourhood has rallied round here, looking out, sending messages about possible sightings, climbing over allotment fences to check, etc. This week, Peter seems to have achieved a certain notoriety locally!

What a day, eh?

So, on to today.
I don't have a lot to clear up after last night. Just some containers/bottles to recycle, some best glasses to hand wash, a small portion of butter chicken to pop in the freezer (and hope that it freezes OK) and a dishwasher to start off once it is full.

What I do have is a slightly muggy head so I will spend the morning rehydrating, first on coffee (because you have to) and then with water.

Beth's invited me round for coffee this afternoon and I have offered to go out taking 'Peter is Lost' posters down from what looks like every single lamp post in the area.

The other thing I need to do is make my meal plan for the week. I usually have quite a good idea of how the week's going to go before I go shopping but not this time. Bad me! 😉 To be fair, I have other things on my mind!

And that's about it for today. How about you - what does your weekend look like? Doing anything really nice? xx

22 comments:

  1. What fabulous news to wake up to - Peter is home, full tummy, curled up, asleep and obviously very happy as are his human family and friends. Your entire evening just got better didn't it! Buttered chicken freezes well, we had it last night too. My husband makes double and puts one lot in the freezer. Nothing planned for the weekend except wrapping some parcels and posting them!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. There's not much left but enough for a light meal or with another curry and some rice.
      It really was a memorable day yesterday. I'm so happy right now. THank you.
      xx

      Delete
  2. So glad the wanderer has returned! And congratulations on being Woman of the Year!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. It's so nice when good things happen. xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your Women of the Year 2023 award. So the wanderer has been captured and is back home, what a relief, sure you will have a cuddle later. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a huge relief, thank you so much, Heather. xx

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the award, and so glad Peter is home 😊. If he were mine I think I'd be attaching a tracker to his collar 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His collar has gone so at some point he got it caught and it released (It was a proper cat collar). Yes, Beth and I have already had a conversation about a tracker and she's done some homework. I doubt he will be allowed out again without something of the kind.
      And thanks, Chrissie. xx

      Delete
  5. Peter is a beautiful cat. Is he a Korat or some other exotic breed?
    Congratulations on your award - well deserved. What a lovely picture of you, too. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he is moggy although he does have some 'persian'-ish elements to him, I believe. I'll try to remember to ask Beth. Yes, he is beautiful and full of character - and named after my lovely Dad.
      And thank you very much. xx

      Delete
  6. Such a relief and wonderful that Peter was found and more or less survived unscathed. Reading Beth's account got a bit blurry here too, what wonderful friends and caring neighbours she has. Beth's plentiful TLC will soon bring Peter back to his normal confident self, however, hopefully with a lasting memory that wandering off is not a good idea at all.
    Congratulations on your award, lovely, happy picture. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simply the best news, isn't it. So heartwarming how everyone rallied round.
      And thanks. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Great news all round and lovely pictures too. Well done on your award x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a relief. Beth looked twenty years younger when I saw her this afternoon. xx

      Delete
  8. Oh Peter! It's so stressful when a cat goes missing. And 8 days is a long time to be missing. Thank goodness he's safe and well. Maybe he needs a GPS collar! It's true that they lose them easily though. Mystère has been through more collars than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long time and he is very thin now so obviously wasn't that good at finding food. He's definitely going to have some sort of tracker although they aren't that reliable and collars have to be easily broken if it gets caught.
      Better than nothing at all though and should give some idea of the general area.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Just catching up with the world and delighted to find you have won Woman of the Year - no-one more deserving. Glad Peter has been found such a relief for you all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - that is so kind of you. It was a very happy day, as was yesterday. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! And I like how the roses match your lovely skirt.
    Thank goodness Peter turned up safe and sound. I hadn't realised he'd gone missing again until I'd read your earlier post. It must have been a relief for Beth when he was found. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. There really was great rejoicing in the household. :-) xx

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, to be Woman of the Year is a great achievement. 🍾🥂

    And I'm so glad that Peter has been found, but gosh he looks skinnier than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's filled out a bit now but he was very skinny when he was found. Not thirsty but desperately hungry. xx

      Delete