Tuesday 21 February 2023

Tuesday, 21-02-23: Pancake Day

 Morning, everyone.  Another dull start with the promise of maybe a bit of sunshine this afternoon.  We will see.  Yesterday turned out beautifully sunny and I got my washing out on the line where it pretty much dried in the sun and the breeze, making it loads easier to iron.  I did two loads of whites because there were towels, tea towels and kitchen cloths to add to the pile but will wait until Thursday for the colours because then I can do all my gym wear - I wear 'proper' gymwear for classes but any old leggings when I'm at home.  The former hold me in better and support more!  Bit of vanity showing there!

It was so good to get back to Circuits.  There were just three of us and we had a good old natter as we worked.  The C25K is obviously making a difference - I managed proper star jumps and, when it was jogging on the spot (Happy Feet, Lindsey calls it), I went out and ran up and down her garden.
We all finished off working outside in the sunshine and it was really lovely!

I exchanged some messages with Alex and the outcome is that he and Beth will be coming over on Sunday for lunch and then he and I are meeting in town the second Friday in March to have lunch together in Prezzo - so much for low spend but not to worry.  I've decided I will take the bus in so I can have a drink if I want (I may not but just in case) which means that I need to do a bit of finding out.

Yu see, the bus numbers and routes have changed since lockdown and I haven't used the bus at all since then.  It really is time to dust off my bus pass and get moving again so I've had a look at the timetable and am planning a trip into town, maybe tomorrow, maybe Friday.  I don't plan to buy anything but I do want to look in the Grape Tree and I think Paperchase has a closing sale on.  Also, I read the other day that there's a new-to-me shop that sells stuff in self service dispensers - pasta and the like although I can't find it now and I can't find any mention of it elsewhere so that might not be right.  Also, I gather The Range is moving into the big Debenhams space so I want to see whether the conversion work has started.  I might even be very naughty and have a spot of lunch in town (which means going on Friday after weigh-in)!

The day finished off with a lovely girls' chat and we decided that by April we should be able to meet outside f2f again.  Looking forward to that.

Today, being Pancake Day, has to mean pancakes for breakfast.
When I was little and at primary school which was a C of E Village school, we always got Shrove Tuesday as a half day holiday.  Before school and during morning play, we would all link our arms and stomp round the playground chanting:

Pancake Day!  Pancake Day!
If you don't give us a holiday, we'll all run away.

and then the head would go round the three classes after playtime and tell us he didn't want to see us in school after lunchtime and we'd all cheer.
We knew it was so, it was the same every year, but there was always that slight feeling of 'What if he doesn't . . . ' - I guess he enjoyed the little tradition as much as we did.
So John and I would go home and Mum gave us pancakes for lunch - and then more pancakes, always with lemon juice and sugar, until we were stuffed.
With that and no school in the afternoon, we thought ourselves the luckiest children ever!

I'm looking forward to my pancakes!

Do you have pancakes today?  xx

12 comments:

  1. I love that story from your childhood schooldays - I remember eating pancakes until I couldn't eat any more but mum had 4 of us and tended to make pancakes a bit on the thick side!
    Your upcoming jaunt sounds like fun. When we lived in Paignton there was a grape tree but I've not been in one in a while. The Range is always great for a good old mooch isn't it?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, and I'm really pleased that one will be opening in town. Also, the smallish Home Bargains is relocating across the retail park to a much larger premises so that's also good..
      I think it will be quite nice to pop into town but I must make sure my bus pass is in my bag - I think I know where it is. xx

      Delete
  2. I loved that story. Happy memories.
    I had a bagel for breakfast, which needed eating up, so I enjoyed pancakes for lunch instead. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about making pancakes, so your post about it being Pancake Day is very timely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > Pancakes are delicious, aren't they? I hope you enjoyed them. xx

      Delete
  4. Oooh Prezzo, it's been a long time since we went there. It used to be an almost weekly occurrence when we lived in Oxfordshire. Their house white wine is especially moreish, so getting the bus would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm - exactly so. I don't drink and drive at all, not even a little one so it's the way to do it. Prezzo is nice, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  5. Pancakes will be tossed here tonight - we are currently at my daughter's house as the little one is poorly - but maybe not too poorly to eat a pancake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame. I do hope plenty of pancakes are consumed. xx

      Delete
  6. Nope, I am not sure when we will have pancakes. I thought about Friday and then got reminded about Ash Wednesday. We can't eat meat that day so perhaps it will be pancakes tomorrow.

    I hope you enjoy your trip on the bus.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course - that's a good idea. Enjoy them. :-)
      xx

      Delete