Friday 17 February 2023

Friday, 17-02-23

 Morning, everyone.  It's quite mild this morning but there's a bit of a wind and, I gather, further north they will be having some very strong winds connecting with Storm Otto.  It doesn't sound nice and if you're affected, I hope everything will be OK for you.

I whizzed out to do my shopping and found the whole precinct pretty deserted.  There were some cars but not nearly as many as the last time I went which was over a month ago, I think, maybe even before Christmas.  M&S was busier than Aldi, oddly enough, but neither was what you might call bustling.  I'm hoping I have enough fresh stuff now to last until March.

There were a few items that I couldn't get there to later on I popped into Morrisons.  Last week, Morrisons had no fresh peppers; this week there were peppers but absolutely no tomatoes.  M&S and Aldi had loads though and, as I get through a lot of tomatoes, I have enough.  Nowhere had bags of frozen mixed peppers though.  I'm glad I got enough for both cooking and salad needs and I might slice and freeze a couple of them - I'll see how they last.

Sadly, Val couldn't come for lunch.  Her husband (I've known them both for decades) has tested positive for Covid and, as she said, she's likely to get it too now.  Fortunately, they are both up to date with their vaccinations but Mike is rather 'vulnerable' so fingers crossed he won't feel worse than coldy and tired which was the case yesterday.  Sending them loving and healthy vibes.  :-)

I popped Val's portion in the freezer - no point wasting it - and had my lunch before clearing things up and starting on the ironing.  That's all done now and away too.  I did my garden jog earlier than I expected - it seemed to go quicker than yesterday.
Thank you for your ideas about music/listening to podcasts rather than music, etc.  I ran along to some music in my head - Song of Joy (Beethoven's 9th and most appropriate, don't you think?) was the right tempo and I am wondering about some Vivaldi or Albinoni - that sort of era/genre anyway - as it tends to stick to a steady pace.
I'll have to see if two separate sounds work with the bluetoothing that I have on my phone.  I think they should but I have never tried.

Today is a bit busier.
At half past eight, Matt is due to arrive to put in the water softener.  I've emptied under the sink; a very easy task as I put everything into bags after last week was aborted.
I don't need to stay which is good because it's Slimming World at the same time.
I've asked for the cleaners to come earlier and everything is tidy for them.
Then I will be preparing for Dave and Anna coming round.  Two curries are made and just need reheating and finishing off, the chicken tikka has marinated overnight and the Mumbai potatoes shouldn't take that long.  I know it sounds awful, but I'm using a can of potatoes.  I decided against making flatbread in the end and will get some pitta bread out of the freezer - it's all much of a muchness really and if we want to stuff the pitta with curry and eat it that way - well, why not?!

Better go and do the social media stuff.  All the best and have a great day.  xx


12 comments:

  1. Seems like Covid isn't going to go away anytime soon, doesn't it? Hopefully, the scientists will eradicate it in time. Using canned potatoes is just fine - I think it was Jack Monroe who commented on the stigma attached to canned potatoes and said something like 'they're just potatoes - in a tin!'. Have a lovely evening, the food all sounds wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack is right and it will be interesting to see if anyone makes any comments. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of tinned potatoes but wouldn't hesitate to use them if we liked them. It's very dangerously windy here today so we decided against going for a walk. Good on you for the jogging. My dodgy leg prevents me from jogging but I'd love to be able to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty windy here too but nothing to particularly worry about. Take care and stay safe. xx

      Delete
  3. The meal prep sounds lovely. Storm Otto? Oh, goodness we had better batten down the hatches here in Wales!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it hasn't been too bad for you. It settled down here. There's still a bit of movement in the air but nothing significant. xx

      Delete
  4. The wind is blowing hard here this morning, and over night it sounded like my roof was coming off, but the sun is out, as is the washing on the line for the first time in ages.
    There's nothing wrong with canned potatoes, the mistake most people make is just not to wash off the water that they have been sat in. In fact they are better in curries etc than using fresh potatoes as they seem to hold their shape so much better and not completely disintegrate. I always have some in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plus side of a strong wind, isn't it! Great for drying.

      The potatoes were great in the beef and mango curry but they didn't work so well in the Mumbai potatoes. They dud hold their shape though, as you said. xx

      Delete
  5. That is a long time you have gone without shopping! I have tried shopping out of my freezer but still have had to go out weekly for fresh stuff and the odd staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a lifetime of weekly (or more) shopping, I'm having to relearn. It does feel a long time, I agree. xx

      Delete
  6. Hope Val's husband isn't too poorly and Val manages to avoid it. We had freezing rain last night, so this morning there was a layer of ice on the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I haven't heard any more so am assuming that things are OK. I don't want to bother her too much but will send a message later on today, I think. xx

      Delete