Saturday 4 January 2020

Saturday

Good morning.  Yesterday's weather was definitely a day of two halves.  It started off raining, remained dull all morning and then, as I drove over to Dad's, out came the sunshine and it was sunny for the rest of the day.

It was a busy morning.  The cleaners were due so I made sure everywhere was tidy for them.  Amazingly, that didn't take too long really, apart from the kitchen which was really rather a mess.

Then I needed to pick up a parcel (it was the mushroom kit, Diane, so I'll get that started off on Monday) and, as I was in that part of town, I went to Sainsburys as well to get some little bits and bobs including the natural yogurt I love and which Morrisons has stopped selling.  Unfortunately, a few glossy foodie type magazines also appeared, as if by magic, in the trolley so it all ended up a bit more expensive than planned but never mind - I have lots to read now and when I've finished with them, they go on to my friend Val. 

I had a careful look at my tea towels yesterday and some look 'grubby' although I know they are clean.  I think the trouble is, I have been washing my things at 30 and I suspect they need hotter.  I'm going to collect them all up and give them a good hot wash, the hottest my machine does.  If some are still looking grubby, I think I might turn them into dish cloths instead, given that they're pretty old and getting a bit shabby too.  I will still have plenty!

Dad and I went to the Millstream yesterday evening and we both very much enjoyed our steaks.  I still feel full now!  We might, next visit, go on Sunday instead of Friday.  It seems they do a really nice Sunday roast.  When you're on your own, roast dinners are a bit impractical.

Today, I have no idea what's on the schedule.  Probably not much at all.  I'll check the ironing basket, but I bet Maria (care assistant) did it all yesterday.  I have some knitting to do and I have those magazines.  Perhaps, also, a walk would be nice when Dad's having his afternoon snooze.  If I do, I'll take my camera with me - I want to take more photos of my outings and doings.

I've been thinking about outings and trips away.  I have Southwold booked for a week in May (must pay the remaining amount this month) and Jackie and I have three coach trips booked for March/April.  I'd like another few days in Bury St Edmunds, preferably when I'm not poorly, so that's on the list.  The other big thing is that I'd love to take the train up to Edinburgh, stay in the city centre and explore a bit, maybe come the autumn.  No Center Parcs this year!
So there's things to think about and organise there.

Have a great day.  What are your plans?
xx

19 comments:

  1. Talking of things appearing in your trolley I was reminded of when I got the check out I discovered a lobster in my trolley which my naughty husband had surreptitiously slipped in when I wasn't looking. I saved the lecture until we got home!!!! Have a lovely day and lets hope for a bit of sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I bet you didn't refuse to eat it though! Bad husband!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I always wash my tea towels, dishcloths, table linen, etc at the hottest wash as they do have the potential to carry lots of nasty bugs but even then the tea towels don't always appear properly clean. I think it is because the washing powder/liquid is just not as strong as it used to be for environmental reasons. However, Lakeland has stain removal tablets, called ecozone, pure oxygen tablets, for colours and whites, and one of these added to the wash really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's worth knowing, thanks, Annabeth. I'll take a look when I'm next in town as some of my T shirts have lost a bit of ooomph too. I really ought to wear an apron when I cook!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Sadly never have any plans as mostly housebound and the nearest shop is miles away; but enjoy reading your blog. I live quite near you in a village x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you? Can you say where, Mo?
      xx

      Delete
    2. Yes no problem; Good Easter x

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, so not far at all as I'm on your side of the town.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Edinburgh is on my list as well but probably for next year. I want to go to some of the Fringe shows but of course all accomodation during that time is more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not particularly interested in shows - my poor hearing means I don't get the best out of them, but the city sounds really interesting. You're right, accommodation goes up shockingly at those times.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, the city is lovely. I've been a couple of times ... plenty to see and do.

      Delete
  5. It's fun to make plans. Edinburgh is beautiful in the autumn. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's at least half the fun, I think. I love Autumn colours so it's a good time to go, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Definitely avoid Edinburgh during Fringe time but it's packed with tourists all year round. If you come up, Stirling is just half an hour away by train ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use my old teatowels for wiping down cloths to dry off counter tops.
    You have made a lot of plans already - I dare hardly make any definite dates for the year as when I do we often find something happens to get in the way.
    Have a lovely weekend with your dad. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that too but I live in hope! The last couple of ytears have been just one cancellation after another at times but things are a bit more stable at the moment.
      Good luck with your plans.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Every third or fourth wash for things like tea towels, ordinary towels, bed linen, I do on the hottest wash the machine will do, 90C. This gets puts paid to the grubby look to tea towels and bacteria too. My tea towels, although I shouldn't crow about it, are pretty clean though, as I only use them to dry dishes and once they are wet the aren't dried off, they go into the machine for a wash. I wouldn't wipe the work surfaces with them, or use them as an oven glove. And my dishcloth goes into the dishwasher for a hot wash each day, too.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete