Thursday 17 October 2019

Thursday

Good morning, everyone.  It's a chilly morning and I'm thankful yet again for good central heating.  Yesterday turned out very pleasantly sunny, not that I went out, and inside kept very warm and cosy.  Now that the tomato plants are all out, there's a lot more light coming into my living room again.

I gave up feeling sorry for myself fairly quickly as it was boring.  I didn't have much commitment yesterday, but I did have to cancel my personal training session.  Lindsey was most understanding and we have rescheduled it for Friday instead.  Yes, it means cancelling my aqua (and I have also cancelled today's because I just don't think it is sensible) but that's not a problem.  Later on, I will take a walk the longer way round to Morrisons to get some dishwasher tablets so I will get a bit of exercise in!

Come the afternoon and I was definitely feeling more with it so I decided to give those pumpkin shaped rolls a go.  It was a bit of a risk as my dried yeast is now rather old but, thankfully, it was perfectly OK and they turned out quite well.  I reckon they will be really nice with the spiced pumpkin soup I plan to make for the Girls' lunch.

I'm not happy with the 'stalks'.  I think I will get some pecans, halve them longways and try that instead.

The recipe was:
250g bread flour (I used half and half white/wholemeal)
half tsp salt (or a bit more, according to personal taste)
5g active dried yeast
150 mls milk (you can warm it if you like)
1.5 tbsp olive oil
around 30 to 50 mls water (you need more liquid if you're using wholemeal so go with the dough!)



I shaped the rolls above as shown in that clip a few days ago.  A bit fiddly but it was OK.
I also tried shaping a flattish roll and then snipping round with scissors.  It turned out more like a patty pan squash and I might do a few of those as well, as a shape contrast.


You can see the yeast worked absolutely fine.





Today I am taking it easy again as I want to feel 100% come the evening because . . .

It's POTTERY!  Yay!

Beth is coming along too which I'm so looking forward to.  I must get out my pottery bag and make sure everything is tidy and ready.  I can't wait.
And now I have a phone that takes proper photos, maybe I will remember.
If they're still there, I have some pots to finish off.  I'm hoping they have had their first firing and will be ready to glaze.

So that's today.  Many thanks for all the kind words about yesterday/next little holiday plans/etc and have a fab day. xx

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. They were fun to do.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Almost look too good to eat! You have lots of patience.
      I look forward to seeing more of your pottery now you are back at classes.
      Was thinking that when you are in BSE in Nov would you like to meet up for a coffee one morning. There's a Greggs halfway down Abbeygate st( I expect it's still there)

      Delete
    3. Lesds fiddly than they look, to be honest! ;-)
      I would love to meet up, thank you. That would be fun.
      xx

      Delete
    4. Good, Good .....We'll sort that out nearer the time.

      Delete
    5. I'm really looking forward to it. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. The rolls look really great Joy and I bet they taste good too. Hope you enjoy your pottery group too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! I hope you feel well enough to enjoy pottery class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tanya and Sharon.I'm really looking forward to it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are feeling better. Hope pottery was great fun for you and Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie - it was brilliant. I'm so pleased to be back. It's just a very satisfying thing to do.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love the rolls, they would be great to have with soup as you could pull off each little segment to dunk … I do love to dunk!

    ReplyDelete