Wednesday 16 October 2019

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  It's another damp and dull start to the day.  Not cold, just not nice.  Having had a bad night with an upset tum, it's not helping to cheer me up!  :-)

Yesterday worked well.  The aqua class was great and tuition was fun while C and I enjoyed our catch up chat.  I did, anyway, and I hope she did too.

I was a bad girl and have booked a couple on nights away at the end of November.   I discovered that there is a Premier Inn, with parking and a restaurant, in the centre of Bury St Edmunds, just a short walk (I estimate about five minutes, if that) away from all the interesting historical bits, shops, etc.  Premier Inns may not be 'luxury' or 'boutique' but they are very warm, comfortable and, generally, well run places and having meal availability is a bonus for me.

I've booked two nights which, effectively, will give me almost three days, plus meal deals so that's the meals pretty much sorted.  I'll most likely reserve some fruit from breakfast and maybe a yogurt or something and that can be my lunch.  I know Bury is easy to get to - I did it a week last Friday, after all - and from a certain roundabout to the hotel is literally just four more roads and an easy one way system so even my 'getting lost' phobia isn't grumbling too much.  Yet!

I know there's no guarantee of fine weather, it will certainly be fairly cold and the days will be short, but it should be bright and cheery as some decorations will be up, the windows will be full of Christmas goods and there really are so many interesting things to see and do within walking distance as well as within a short drive.   I'm quite excited really.

I'm feeling a bit ragged around the edges right now but not to worry, I've cancelled the few things I had scheduled and I am going to get my fleece out, snuggle in my lovely, comfy recliner, and shut the world out for the day.  I would still be in bed except that Jeff was here at eight to do his bit (big bit) in the garden.  Now all the tomatoes and the cucumbers are up and in the brown bin and it's looking a lot better.  Thank you, Jeff.

Have a good day, everyone.  xx




20 comments:

  1. A winter break, sounds good. Some of the chain hotels are situated in very convenient locations, and you know what you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my feeling too, Ilona.
      I'm umming and ahing about getting up to Edinburgh some way or another and having a week in the Premier Inn right in the centre with everything either in walking distance or a bus ride (and using my bus pass). Maybe next year.
      xx

      Delete
    2. I'm with the 'you know what you're getting' reason for using Premier Inns. They're consistent. Edinburgh is amazing. We stayed in the Premier Inn out at Newhavenn Quay (less X pensive as outside the centre) but as we had bought the 48hr hop-on-hop-off tickets, the buses covered the area. The ticket includes Palace of Holyrood House, Edinburgh Castle and Royal Yacht Britannia and the three routes pass right by the Botanical Garden, Princes Park and all main attractions. We stayed 3 nights but in retrospect, 4 or 5 would have been better.

      Delete
    3. That's very well worth knowing, thanks, Eloise. I guess my bus pass would cover the cost of bus transport. I will have to investigate that option.
      I'm starting to wonder if I should have booked another night but it really is so close (less than an hour in the car) that it's no hassle to do another visit (and maybe another too).
      xx

      Delete
  2. Feel better soon, Joy. Love the sound of your short break. Snuggling up with a fleece and shutting the world out sounds fabulous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure it will be a lovely break and I really ought to get to know Bury, it's so near by and easy to get to.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's great having a short trip away to look forward to, especially when the days are dark and miserable as they are at the moment.
    I hope you're feeling brighter soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fir sure, it has chirked me up no end, in spite of the old tum. Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love Premier Inns, they are always in a good location, clean, comfortable and they do an excellent breakfast. Very good value for money. Enjoy your mini break x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. Some scoff but I think they do a great service and they are pretty consistent. You know what you're going to get.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I've stayed in that very premier inn, Joy - nothing wrong with it at all, alhtough getting to the car park round the back was just a little confusing.
    Nicky (you may remember me form First Class forum days - I think we are both still listed as moderators of some (now unused) OU forums!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nicky! Yes, I remember you. I doubt I am named now, I stood down from modding quite a while ago now. It all got too much. I'm still in touch with OU friends via Facebook and blogging as well. How are things going?
      xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds really good!
    Hope you feel better after a little snuggling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie, Feeling very tired and bored now. Better than earlier, that's for sure.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I just bought a light therapy lamp to help with the long gray days that accompany fall and winter. Your mini break sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea. I keep thinking about that. Maybe this year is the year I do. I've heard such very good things.
      xx

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to be able to mooch about all those lovely historical places. It sounds perfect. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dearly love that sort of holiday and doing it this may makes it manageable for me. I think a whole week might be a bit too much culture. This one is a dip my toes in and, if as I expect, I love it, I will go back. I have every other weekend free and anyway, once I know where the car parks are and how to get to them, I can easily do day trips too.
      xx

      Delete
  9. It's nice just being able to get away for a couple of days. I love Bury. It's a beautiful place and the cathedral and gardens are fantastic. I could easily spend a few days there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Premier Inns are really good and you know exactly what to expect. You do have to ask for extra coffee sachets etc now as they only put two per day into each room, but they are always more than pleased to give you a handful.

    Like you we always help ourselves to a few extras at breakfast time, well I eat a very minimal breakfast so I do think we are entitled to. I always take a piece of fruit and a couple of Pan au Chocolats. It means that with a coffee while out and about you have enough to keep you going until teatime.

    ReplyDelete