Monday 14 October 2019

Monday

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday I stayed at Dad's until after lunch - a proper dinner, in fact, as he likes my cooking (!) and we had some good chats over the weekend.  One thing that might be nice is that now he's feeling much more with it again and the exercise classes he goes to are definitely helping with leg strength and balance, maybe we could go away for a couple of days to some interesting towns.  He mentioned Bury St Edmunds which is not too far away from either of us and, as long as we get somewhere central, shouldn't involve too much walking.  Something to consider for the future anyway and I know Dad has missed the short holiday breaks he used to enjoy with Mum.

It was a fairly splashy drive back home yesterday although the rain had more or less stopped but the general conditions kept all but the most necessary traffic off the road so it was a pretty easy drive.  Getting the stuff inside from the car took quite a while but I got there, eventually, and now things are more or less unpacked and sorted with just a bit more to go.  I was desperately tired and kept nodding off through the evening although I did manage to stay awake for the Strictly results - no spoilers in comments, please, but more than a bit of a shock there!

Real life starts again today.
Firstly I need to get proper caught up with all my social mediating over a few mugs of my proper coffee followed by finishing off the tidying up, etc.

Then, over lunchtime, there's a visit from window people followed by tuition.  If I can, I really ought to pop into school to see if M wants me to continue helping out after half term.  All her new littlies will be in full time by then.

I need to start exploring 'bonfire food'.  Our next girls' get together is here and we thought it would be nice to have 'bonfire food' as a theme.  I thought of spiced pumpkin soup, glazed sausages, jacket potatoes, a fruity punch (non alcoholic) and maybe something apple based for dessert but need to refine these ideas.  It's my job to organise it all and ask/tell the others what to contribute.  It's not for another month so there's loads of time but these things tend to get forgotten and then there's a rush at the last moment!
If you have any recipes, ideas, suggestions, etc, please do post them in comments - that would be great.

Well, the kettle has boiled and the cafetiere is loaded so I'd better stop rambling on and get started.
Have a great day.  xx



12 comments:

  1. Boston baked beans always go down well especially with the sausages and can be made well in advance and reheated. Danish apple cake might make a good dessert and that too can be made ahead of time and frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston baked beans looks interesting - I must look up a recipe - and apple cake is a great idea, much better for a lunch than crumble or pie. Cook ahead and freeze is just the ticket too. Many thanks. I have now started a Little List! I'll probably end up feeding the five thousand!
      Thanks very much, Diane.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Not strictly bonfire food, but red cabbage (I always use Delia’s recipe) is a good accompaniment to this sort of meal. You could probably make it a bit more SW friendly, and it’s one that you can prepare ahead and reheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite red cabbage recipe and I know it freezes well. I could make some for Christmas at the same time, couldn't I? Thanks very much!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Joy
    How about Yorkshire Parkin? A tradition for Bonfire night - spent many Bonfire nights as a child eating jacked potatoes cooked in the fire followed by a piece of parkin. Most of the recipes on google are veggie friendly, tho it's not the kindest food in terms of calories.
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a sort of gingerbread? I'll look it up, thanks, Suzie.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Yes it's gingerbread-ish, made with oats so sort of a cross between sticky gingerbread and a flapjack,

      Delete
  4. I always feel a chilli goes down well as 'bonfire food.' It's versatile and easy to make a veggie version too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - and easily frozen leftovers too. THanks very much.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I must put the link to this blog on my list. I didn't know you had another until you mentioned it in a reply to someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should plug it more. :-) Welcome!
      xx

      Delete