Thursday 2 August 2018

Thursday

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Thursday.  It's a beautifully sunny start to the day which indicated that it's going to be hot later on (what a surprise!).  BBC weather indicates up to 30C which is a bit warm for my liking.

Alex and I had a lovely time in town.  We got a bus with a very friendly and helpful bus driver who seemed to know a lot of the passengers and had a cheery word for everyone.  When a lady in a wheelchair got on, he did the honours and a few stops later, when another lady in a wheelchair needed the but and there wasn't quite enough room in the space, he pushed her to the bus behind and got her safely on and settled before coming back.  He got a well deserved round of applause as he stepped on the bus again.  It was such a friendly ride into town.

Once in town, we got off at a stop just outside M&S so that's another thing learned.  We went through M&S to the bank where I paid in the sorted contents of my loose change jar (£30, would you believe - wow) before going back to M&S for lunch.  Then Al got his socks and I got a cheap T shirt (can't go wrong at £3.50) and a bottle of their lavender eau do toilette which I like to use but had run out of.

Then we headed back to the bus and got one that took us a quicker way back than last time.  I must remember this; the 54 goes all round the houses while the 56 is the one to get, if possible.
I am getting more accustomed to bussing but there are disadvantages.  It was jolly hot yesterday and - er - how can I put this - one is a bit at the whim of the personal hygiene (or lack of) of one's fellow travellers!
And the chairs are bloomin' uncomfortable, especially on a bumpy road!

After Alex had gone, I settled down to writing my entry about Writtle church and got it posted (comments would be very welcome) before settling in my comfy chair for the evening.  A very pleasant day.

Today I have determined to put in a few hours at the allotment.  It needs watering again, of course, but the weeds are fighting back and need dealing with.  Bindweed is as bad as ground elder!  There will also be more courgettes to cut and mange tout to pick.

Last year we decided to start some asparagus off.  I'm afraid we were not terribly successful. only managing to grow three of the ten plants we put in.  However, nothing daunted, we will have another go and are glad that at least three have taken, given that we are total amateurs at this game!  I'll start working over the soil in the next few weeks, ready to order and plant in the autumn.

What with washing and what goes with it and generally keeping the home reasonable, I have a full day so I'd better get on with it!

2 comments:

  1. I don't travel well on bus journeys with our bumpy, winding local roads. I occasionally use the bus into town which is only a five minute ride but only when I can't take my car for whatever reason. Strangely, I'm fine on the National Express coaches to and from London, and am also okay on the day trips by coach which are organised by a local company. Maybe, it's the start/stop nature of bus trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be, yes. I think that coaches are just much more comfortable anyway and they have seat belts which makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete