Tuesday 21 August 2018

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  Another dull start but yesterday cheered up for a time and we had some pleasant, sunny warmth before it decided to start raining a bit.  Maybe today will be the same.

I had a lovely swim after shopping yesterday.  Thirty five minutes of up and down, planning out my holiday food as I did so.  Ironing to think of food while exercising but it's such a peaceful time, just me and the water, and I can work out all kinds of stuff in my mind as I swim.  Afterwards, the spa was gorgeously hot and so relaxing.

Then I went home and H turned up for tuition.  We both really enjoy these sessions so it's an absolute pleasure each week.  I shall miss it when H stops coming, the enthusiasm is so rewarding.

After that it was just ordinary things for the rest of the day - those little things that make life purposeful and sweet without creating drama.

I've heard from Dad - he seems very much better again, just rather tired.  At his age it's not surprising really.  It's a relief he's been OK today.  I was a bit concerned that I'd left too soon but it seems not.

Today I might be going round to a friend's in the morning for a cuppa and I definitely will be going to another friend's in the afternoon for a chat about something I am wondering about doing.  I'll tell you about that later on.  Then Beth is coming round to dinner so I'm very much looking forward to that.
I might get a bit of housework done too, you never know!  Stranger things have happened!

Have a great day, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I feel for you over the concern about leaving your Dad.
    I always found it difficult to know when to step in to help my parents. I saw them every day.
    Sometimes I could see things around that needed doing but it's a delicate balance between helping and taking away their independence and dignity.
    The opposite to bringing up children when you gradually allow them more freedom!
    All you can do is to do your best.
    A useful phrase I came across recently is “Don't borrow worry from round the corner.”
    I'm not implying that you do but it has helped me a lot as I tend to imagine what might happen if..........
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sue. It is a very tricky one, isn't it? My parents are both fiercely independent and always have been but Dad accepts that sometimes he needs help. Mum doesn't really and it makes her unhappy.
    I like that phrase. Another one I like is from Fantastic Beasts when Newt says: 'My philosophy is that worrying just means you suffer twice' (or something very similar). That makes me smile each time I remember it.
    I have to make myself not borrow worry, it is an act of will. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy - just having a major catch up one blog at a time. So sorry to hear your dad has been ill. Being a 24 hour carer must be hard for him and he must be quite relieved you are on hand for emergencies like this to help out. My mum and dad lived just down the road from me and my mum was main carer for my dad, in dad's later stages the phone calls became more frequent and at all hours but it allowed dad to remain at home rather than going in to care.
    That produce looks wonderful - I would love to have an allotment but sadly with our frequent trips to Scotland it would be a waste of time especially this summer everything would have died without being there to water the plants.
    It sounds like you are on catch up now like me!
    Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your dad seems to be doing better. You sound like you have a busy day planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viv - yes I had a bit of a catch up after being away. How quickly one can get left behind!
    Enabling someone to stay at home is a very worthwhile thing - you must be glad you were able to do that.
    It is lovely to be able to pick and enjoy. I need to get some produce into the freezer now or it will spoil before I can use it!

    Thanks, Sharon, and he continues to improve, which is very satisfying. It was quite busy but it was most enjoyable. Retirement is lovely at the moment.

    xx

    ReplyDelete