Wednesday 1 August 2018

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  A pinch and a punch for the first of the month! 
I know it is only August but I am noticing how the nights are setting in earlier and earlier again and, having woken at around five for the first time in a while, how the mornings are getting later.  I don't mind, I love dusk and dawn - they are magical times, full of mystery and promise.

It was a lovely, warm, sunny day yesterday, not hot, just warm.  Perfect.  I hope today will be the same.

It took me a while to get going but once I had started I did a bit of shopping, went to the allotment and came back with a big bag of new potatoes, two mega courgettes and one big one (they obviously like the rain) and some rather sad looking mange tout which will probably be OK in a stew or curry.  It's all been divvied up now.


After lunch I made a sudden decision not to go to Willingale but to go to Writtle church instead and I'm so glad I did because it was lovely.  I'll do a proper post later on but just to say it was a great start to my ongoing venture.

It's quite hard to get a good view because of the many trees in the graveyard but I guess this is as good as it gets.  Some of it is extremely old and some is much more modern while the tower is a right mixture.

Once home I uploaded all the photos I took and did a bit of editing before getting ready to meet 'the girls'.  We had a lovely time and a lovely meal.  I ended up choosing a small plate hunter's chicken and shared a dessert with Beth.  We talked and laughed and it was great.

Today I have an early morning tuition session and then Al and I are off into town on my bus training, session two.  It's quite handy because I do have bits and bobs to do and I want to look in H&M for a top that I saw advertised in a magazine although I bet they've all gone now.  As for Alex, he needs those new socks we failed to get on Monday.

Once home, the rest of the day is clear.  I do have a catch up tuition tomorrow but the planning is already done for that so I may potter in the garden a bit.  It certainly needs it, if only to deal with a few thistles that have spring up thinking I wouldn't notice!

Should be a good day!



5 comments:

  1. Your post was posted just 4 minutes ago, while I was switching on my computer … another early bird, Joy! Yes, already there is a change in the light, darker earlier in the evening and getting light later in the morning. And it's what we call White Rabbit Day, the first of the month, so "White rabbit" to you as well as the pinch and punch!
    What's this about bus training? You're not learning to drive a double decker, are you? A bit different from tuition if you are!
    Yes, it's often difficult taking photos of buildings - not only does the camera lens not accommodate quite like our eyes, buildings look to be toppling over sometimes, there are often things we don't want in the way, such as those awful red bins into which we put dog waste, or a rubbish bin or something equally unsightly.
    Wonderful veg - those courgettes are magnificent, and such a lovely colour.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very envious of your yellow courgettes, we bought 4 plants, 2 green and 2 yellow (didn't buy any seed this year as I originally decided I didn't want any courgettes this year!). Well, all 4 plants turned out to be green, grrrr! And now we're inundated with them all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret: I've been waking later recently, or going back to sleep for a while anyway, but I have early tuition this morning so got up!
    I thought 'White Rabbits' was just for May. :-)
    The bus training is learning how to use the bus. I've always used my car before but now I have a bus pass, Alex is teaching me how to get into town and back on the bus! :-)
    We always grow yellow courgettes; they are nicer than the green ones, we think.

    Sooze: What a nuisance. Last year we had what we called the 'courgette with an identity crisis'. It produced courgettes that were green/yellow 'piebald'. Very attractive looking but . . .
    We're finding that,with the heat, three plants are producing more than enough and we are giving some away. Beth's quite pleased to have produce to share at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had yellow courgette. I've grown the green ones before but this year didn't bother with growing any veg, a good decision as it turned out with all the health problems I've had this year.

    I didn't say on your post yesterday that the village looks lovely and I hope you do go back to photograph some of the others houese.. I can see why it is such a desirable place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the yellow courgettes have a better flavour but, to be honest, it might be because any green ones have been shop bought so goodness knows how old whereas the yellows are allotment fresh. You made a wise decision.

    Parts of Writtle are lovely. It's just a shame it is such a busy place with so much traffic but even so, very desirable.

    ReplyDelete