Tuesday 31 August 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning.  Yet another dull, dreary start to the day.  Where has the sun gone, I'd like to know.  We could do with just a little bit around here.  :-)

Oh, dear!  Because it was raining after tuition yesterday, I decided I really didn't want to go to the allotment so I took a good look around the garden instead and it's just as well I did because . . . the dreaded blight has finally landed.
I have removed five plants in their entirety, taking off any usable fruit first.  For the others, I have removed pretty much all the leaves, just leaving a few at the top.  I'm not sure if I have left enough but as they are what catch the blight spores (or whatever they are) first, it seemed the most sensible thing to do.  Also, ventilation will be better so the leaves and fruit can dry off quicker when it rains.  I will soon find out if I have gone too far, won't I?
The last time I had to deal with blight in the garden was when one could still use Bordeaux mixture which tended to knock it on the head pretty well.

I looked really carefully and the remaining plants seem unaffected for now but I'll be keeping a close look out and I doubt I'll still be picking tomatoes in October as I often do.  It's been a remarkably short season this year but with the cold and the damp I suppose I'm not really surprised.


Poor old plants.  They're not at all pretty now, are they, all stunted and deformed?  However, there's still loads of fruit waiting to ripen so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open.


This is what I have salvaged.  Quite a lot of fruits were showing signs of being affected and went straight in the brown bin.  Some will undoubtedly ripen but some won't and anyway there's loads outside still, some of which won't turn this year (unless we get a glorious end of summer and that's most unlikely).

It's a long time since I made green tomato chutney but it is definitely on the cards this year.
If any of you lovely and knowledgeable people have trusted and tried recipes you could share, I'd be extremely grateful.  Or any other ideas for using green tomatoes.
Thank you.

Today I have an empty diary.  That being so, I'm going to have that postponed swim.  Yes, I am, definitely.  I need to take the plunge again (sorry!) and restart.  Also I have heard that B &M have some Chr*stm*s stuff in and you know what a sucker I am for festive tat so I may visit on the way to the gym!
Apart from that I have washing with the resulting drying and ironing and I have another tuition session tomorrow so need to prepare for that.  Also, I have a chutney recipe to research.

An empty diary doesn't mean a lazy day, thankfully.

Have a good one and stay happy.  xx


16 comments:

  1. Theres a green tom recipe on my recipe page, scroll down a long way.

    A weatherman said it's the 5th dullest August on record - If thats correct then the dullest must have been awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Sue, thanks.
      Only the fifth? I agree, the top one must have been terrible.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Found it - thanks very much. xx

      Delete
  2. I use Delia Smiths green tomato chutney recipe from her complete cooker course great taste and result .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green tomato & apple chutney on BBC food is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I will have plenty of windfalls and imperfect apple soon and I could use them. Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  4. So sorry that you have blight. Hope you got it in time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been an issue around here for years but it's been so damp that I'm not surprised. Thanks, it's a disappointment but that's l;ife.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Green Tomato Mincemeat is delicious. I haven't made it for years, but I'm sure you could Google for a recipe.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Peggy, thanks. It's always nice to know when one is tried and trusted, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  6. Your naked tomato plants look just like my solo one. I'm picking off the tomatoes as soon as they turn slightly and finish ripening them in my conserwatory. using a few ripe ones and a banana skin (someone told me that helps ripen green ones) we shall see!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the banana skin trick too and I think it does work. Fingers crossed for yours.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I can't give you a chutney recipe, but I used to put my green tomatoes in a stew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. INSTANT AFFORDABLE PERSONAL/BUSINESS/HOME/INVESTMENT LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US TODAY VIA Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, Do you need an urgent loan to support your business or in any purpose? we are certified and legitimate and international licensed loan Company. We offer loans to Business firms, companies and individuals at an affordable interest rate of 2% , It might be a short or long term loan or even if you have poor credit, we shall process your loan as soon as we receive your application. we are an independent financial institution. We have built up an excellent reputation over the years in providing various types of loans to thousands of our customers. We Offer guaranteed loan services of any amount to people all over the globe, we offer easy Personal loans,Commercial/business loan,Car loan Leasing/equipment finance, Debt consolidation loan, Home loan, ETC with either a good or bad credit history. If you are in need of a loan do contact us via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in search of a loan to start up a business or to pay up your bills. We give at loan of $3,000 to $500,000,000.00, we offer or kinds of loan here with 2% . I look forward to your mail regarding. Thanks for your time and understanding! So get back to us if you are interested.. Please contact us at our email or WhatsApp +12192714465
    : karlwalter685@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete