Tuesday 10 August 2021

Tuesday

 Good morning!  It's a lovely, sunny start to the day here at Mum and Dad's.   The sky is clear with just a few wispy clouds and, while it isn't that warm yet, it will heat up during the morning, I am sure.

The journey over was smooth and easy.  There wasn't a lot of traffic about, considering it was mid/late afternoon and even going through Little Hadham was far from crowded.  When I got here, I noticed that Gail (Dad's former cleaner - he called her his 'housekeeper' with a twinkle in his eye) is keeping the house lovely and clean and fresh and Colin is doing the same for the garden, although I haven't looked too closely yet.

I've got myself a little list of things I want to achieve today, mainly based around the kitchen.  The pantry needs a good turn out, as does the wash room and I want to start taking Dad's records (musical ones) into the car port on the shelving there, ready for whatever fate has in store for them.
There's some very, very old 'dry goods' in the pantry which I am pretty sure will need to be chucked and I can stack anything useable on the lower shelves for convenience.  There is a step ladder in the pantry but why keep things up high if there's space lower down?  No point.

At some point, I'm going to take a wander down the garden to take a look at the veg area.  I remember Dad got Colin to plant some runner beans and there might possibly be some to pick.  If so, I will.

I'm pretty sure I will be home later on today.  It's a big lonely house now - it's people that make a house into a home, isn't it? - so it's all rather lonely and sad.

Well, I had better get started.  There's plenty to do so no excuses.  Take care, stay safe and have a happy day.  xx

14 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. It feels really strange being in our loved ones' house after they've died, doesn't it? So many memories, happy and sad, wherever we look. Try to concentrate on the happy memories, of which I'm sure there'll be loads. It's so good you have Gail and Colin to keep things tidy, such a weight off your (and your brother's) mind. Be busy and happily fruitful, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge help; they're making such a difference. Yes, loads and loads of happy memories. It's good. Imagine if they had been bad! it doesn't bear thinking about.
      And there were runner beans. Yay!
      xx

      Delete
    2. Glad the journey over was ok and the sun is shining .You're right its the people that make a house a home. I found when my Mum died it was the garden as well so before it was sold split some peonies and planted them in my garden they're beautiful and i feel that I have a little bit of her here with me.Sentimental old fool that I am .Good luck with your day .

      Delete
    3. That's not sentimental, it's beautiful. xx

      Delete
  2. This is a difficult job and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I've more or less finished the pantry but it's all taking ages, much longer than I thought. Ah, well, I do what I can and there's time. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. I keep coming across things and oooohhhh . . . xx

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you while you go through these practical jobs at you dad's place. The house and garden hold many treasured memories I'm sure.
    Love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do and several popped up in my mind while I was going through stuff. It was nice; they were all happy memories.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Clearing someone's home is not the easiest of things to do as there are so many memories there. It'll seem neverending but it'll all get done. Just don't underestimate the emotional side of things and continue to take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did all take a lot longer than I anticipated but it had to be done and I was very pleased with what I managed to get done.
      xx

      Delete
  6. You are doing a very tough job. It is hard to be in an empty house, though the memories linger, the feelings are just not the same.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There is a lot of happiness in that home but it underlines how much we will all miss them.
      xx

      Delete