Tuesday 7 April 2020

Tuesday

Good morning.

Yesterday morning, I decided to clear out my two gardening bags (one for tools, etc, and one for things like had cream, plastic mug, etc) and guess what - so lucky.  I found a nearly full bottle of anti bac hand stuff and a nearly full pack of anti-bac wipes, fortunately well sealed and still moist.  Woo hoo.  I've taken them off my 'grab list' for now!
(I don't really have a grab list, just a list of things I need to get if they are on the shelves because I'm out or nearly out)

So it was ho! for the allotment first thing and now I can say that, in the words of that lovely children's song:
"The broad beans are sleeping in their blankety bed."
Better late than never and they're not that late really.
https://www.metrolyrics.com/paintbox-cauliflowers-fluffy-lyrics-traditional.html
It was good to see that after a fairly hard pruning a month or so ago, both the pear and plum trees are blossoming as if this was their last chance ever.  Last year they got caught by a late frost and the harvest was abysmal  or do I mean the year before.  Maybe I do!
The apples blossom later, of course, but are starting to leaf well.

The larger area is now covered so it will keep the weeds well and truly down and the smaller area, the one I will plant up first this year, is well on the way to being cleared.  We (Beth and I) plan to have some baby corn, runner beans, a couple of yellow courgettes, a butternut squash and, maybe, a few tomatoes.  Oh, and some potatoes (must get them out on a tray to chit).
When it comes to it, I can get one strip of 'fabric' off the larger area, clearing just a bit of ground at a time.
There's another little area like the one in the photo and there I think I will plant carrots and beetroot and just see how they do, although, generally, carrots don't seem to do all that well.
With all the restrictions and because Beth can't get out at the moment (isolation), all of the above is subject to change, depending on circumstances.  It's good to have plans though.

At home I will plant the usual runner beans, plus the strawberries, raspberries, possibly blueberries, depending on how they do this year, ditto for tayberries and the tomatoes (fingers crossed).  Oh - and maybe cucumbers seeing as last year was such a success, although this tear I have gherkin seeds which are basically baby cucumbers and really nice.

I have a couple of lovely skirts - I think they call them burnout skirts for some reason - that I bought a couple of years ago that are now just a bit too loose around the waist and are in danger of falling down.  I got one of them downstairs yesterday and it looks as if I should be able to replace the elastic and revive them.  I'm pleased about that - I love them both and they are still in reasonable order.

My trip to the theatre (as Eileen puts it so well) yesterday was a trip to the ballet to see the Royal Ballet School perform a delightful version of Peter and the Wolf.  Such talent!  I followed on after that with various ballet clips and part of a programme about Rudolph Nureyev which I think I saw when it was on the telly ages ago.

And to cap off a very pleasant day, I had my video chat with Beth who had some really good news - not anything I can share, sorry, but it cheered me up no end.

Today starts off with shopping.  I'll go early and if I have to queue, so be it.  It's almost all fresh stuff I need and I have no doubts there will be enough.

After that . . .
Something energetic:
Joe and Lindsey, of course.  I find some of Joe's bits and bobs are things I can't do for one reason or another; at those times I put in some of Lindsey's programme so it's a sort of amalgamation.  Works for me!

Something for the house/garden:
I know I keep saying this and not getting around to it, but I want to get my seeds planted today.  Tomatoes, baby corn, squash, courgettes, gherkins, etc.  I have everything I need out and ready so no excuses!

Something social:
No specific plans today although I have no doubt I will have a few exchanges at a distance when I go shopping.

Something entertaining/creative:
Knitting
I have cut out the bias skirt and at the moment, in obedience to the instructions, the pieces have been stay-stitched and are pinned to a coat hanger so that they can 'drop'.  I'll get on with the sewing today.
In one of my recently rediscovered sewing boxes, I found a hexagon patchwork template and I just wondered about starting a bit of hand sewn patchwork. What for?  No idea, but I do have plenty of scraps to use.  I shall have to think about this as I don't want a really big project.  Maybe a few more cushions for the garden?
It looks as if there's a showing of 'The Importance of being Earnest' and there's also a performance of 'The Marriage of Figaro' so I will have to choose!

And the algebra goes on.  Yesterday's bit was brain-aching but the good thing is that, unlike the proper OU courses, there's no time pressure, no TMAs or CMAs, no end of module assignment or exam, just me and my motivation.  The lack of external pressure works well for me and I'm doing just a bit each day, as much as I feel happy and satisfied with.

Looks like today has a lot planned so I bet I won't do anything like all of it!  It doesn't matter, it will keep me occupied and happy and that's what it's all about. 
Hoping you are all well and staying as safe as you possibly can.
xx


8 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration Joy - sadly my elastic needs altering but in the opposite direction to you! Have a lovely Tuesday. A bit more pottering for me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a very happy potter. It's your 'holiday' (not at work, anyway) so you deserve to potter to your heart's content.
      And thank you - I'm blushing!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I'm having to choose between Earnest and Figaro as well. I'm leaning towards Earnest as I type this but it's a long time until this evening so I may change my mind. Whichever I watch, it'll be my reward for tidying the music cupboards - I've been hunting out a new piece for every instrument. Today I start learning Liberty March on the clarinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One today and maybe one tomorrow perhaps. It all depends on whether I wand heavy or light really, and I won't know until this evening.
      Well done on your achievements.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We did our shop today to cover us up to and over Easter period as no way am I going out to the shops again if it might be busy with Easter shoppers. We managed to get enough milk and yoghurt with long dates and bread for the freezer.
    Unless it is in your way just hang on to the fabric - when things are more back to normal I would send you the postage money. But like I said if you are doing your own patchwork you may want to hang on to it for yourself. I wouldn't want to deprive you. I am so busy at the moment making cards and birthday presents I have not had any time for sewing or knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, Viv, but when this has lifted somewhat, we can discuss it again. I'll hang onto it for now.
      Well done for the shopping - it's easy to forget that Easter is nearly upon us, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm getting a lot of pleasure from the garden at the moment. I need to sow beetroot and carrot seeds later today, and I noticed the sweet pea seeds, which I saved from last year, have begun to sprout. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I love it when that happens.
      xx

      Delete