Saturday 25 April 2020

Saturday

Good morning, everyone!  It's looking a bit cloudy outside right now but the forecast is pretty good.  Looking at the BBC weather, we might get a bit of rain from Tuesday onward.  That would be pretty good for the plants although I bet it wouldn't be long before we were grumbling!

While on the subject of plants, mummy tomato is now over the worst of her illness and is sending out new growth while daddy tomato, never in danger, is also fine.  I haven't received the baby replacements yet so what's the betting they will be half dead by the time they arrive?

I am amused to notice that one of my baby gherkins seems to need isolating.  When I put the pot with the other ones that have been planted on, it droops; when it goes on the window ledge, it perks up!  Very odd but I'm humouring it for now!

After something someone said as a comment a while ago (and I'm really sorry, I can't remember who it was) and also seeing it on Daily Kitchen live yesterday, I dug out my bag of dried peas and planted some, quite thickly, in a plastic pot I pulled out of the plastic recycling bag.  The aim is not peas, it is pea shoots for salads and, according to the Beeb, I should get some pretty quickly.  Fingers crossed.

I wonder if one could do the same with chick peas, pinto beans, etc, and whether they are nice.  I know you can sprout them, like mung beans.  Actually, that's a thought - I could grow some bean sprouts for stir fries - if I had some mung beans.  Where's my shopping list?

Yesterday was very pleasant.  Cards arrived (lovely) and when I took some foody things over to Beth, she swapped them for a card and a rather lovely yellow orchid.  I don't have a very good record with pot plants so I must look up how to care for it - or I could ask Dad; he always does well with them.

Later on, we (Beth and I) had a good old chat via phones and that really made my day.  We talked about all sorts of stuff, as you do, and, as the connection was good and strong, I heard every word.  When the picture keeps freezing, it really disrupts my hearing, you see.  I'm not a great lip reader as such, private conversations the other side of the room are quite secure, but lip reading is an essential support and without it I'm pretty lost!  So yesterday was great.

Earlier on, I 'met up' with Lindsey for personal training.  We decided to make it half an hour with the other half hour at another time, so I don't push it with neck and shoulder too much.  That was perfect.  She's such a flexible person and already ready to change things, if necessary.  I was very grateful that she suggested it.

This morning I am 'suffering' with a self inflicted muggy head.  Serves me right.  Black coffee and plenty of water are on the menu for today and, as I have an over abundance of salad veg, today's food will be incredibly healthy!
A gentle day, I think, taking things as they come.    Here's what might happen.

Something energetic:
Down the allotment, of course, although it won't be an early visit today as I want to be sure I'm legal to drive!  :-), probably just for watering and forking over the soil a bit.  I might also sort out the garden canes for building the support 'structure' for the runner beans.  This always looks a bit Heath Robinson-ish and I'm sure this year will be no exception.  Must remember to take my steps with me!

Something for house/garden:
No idea!  I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Something social:
Probably a shout across the garden fence at some point.

Something entertaining:
I didn't watch 'Love Never Dies' yesterday so I'll catch that this morning.  I also need to catch up on Great British Menu and Saturday Kitchen Live is often worth having on.

Something creative:
The usual - knitting, crochet and sewing.  This keeps me happy right now.

That's the plans - something tells me it might all change.  I'm feeling lazy but I suppose things might perk up a bit later.  Either way, no problem!
Enjoy your day too, whatever your plans.  xx


10 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed yesterday and had a good conversation with Beth. Our back garden (which is more or less an allotment) is pretty much a tribute to Heath Robinson! Husband is very good at 'contraptions', but who cares so long as they're repurposing things and they work?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! My feelings entirely. Anyway, they get hidden by the plants and that's what matters, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  2. Bit grey and cloudy here this morning - hope it changes to sunshine as I could quite get used to sun everyday.

    Have a super-douper day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sun here yet, either. Fingers crossed!
      xx

      Delete
  3. My garden could desperately use a good dousing with rain. Tap water never seems to make it grow as quickly as rain water. Hoping for some sunshine while Tony is off this weekend and then it can do what it likes for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good heavy showers over a matter of days would work wonders. The soil is quite damp further down but the surface is pretty dry where I haven't been watering.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I need to get out and water the garden today. I didn't remember yesterday until it was too dark!

    You have have plenty to keep you busy and I hope your head settles after yesterday's excesses so you can enjoy Love Never Dies.

    The newspapers are suggesting that the garden centres may be allowed to reopen which will be great if it's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already been waylaid by a few dandelions that dared to seed and grow in the cracks between the paving slabs, cheeky beggars. They are now no more!

      It would be fab if garden centres could open - I wonder . . .
      xx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the Tomato family are thriving at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still mourning baby tomato but looking forward to his cousins arriving (fingers crossed).
      xx

      Delete