Thursday 9 April 2020

Thursday

Hi, everyone.  Another gloriously warm and sunny day yesterday.  If it wasn't for the fact that it's still the first half of April, I would have called it a summer's day, it was so warm.  Great for drying the clothes.

Well, I did it - I finally did it!  I started my seed sowing and here's the evidence.

 Baby corn, butternut squash, yellow courgettes, gherkin, chilli pepper and some sort of stripey tomato plus some curly parsley which is on the kitchen window sill.  I know it's not loads (although there's more than one seed in each little pot) but I have planted or will be planting radishes, beetroot and carrot, runner beans and the broad beans down the allotment and with all that lot, it'll be more than enough for me, Beth and Alex.  I suspect there won't be nearly so much sharing around of spare plants this year with everyone keeping a good distance and being so warty about touching things.

Why did it take me so long?  Well, it's not the actual sowing, it's getting everything out and putting it all away again.


I'm very lazy at heart.






While taking a constitutional around the grounds (!!), I noticed that some of the fruity things are starting to bud.  From left to right:  blueberry, tayberry, strawberry.


Excellent.

I got the things round to Beth, who was very pleased.  I kept a keen look out for police and had prepared my justification for being out in the car but there were none in view.  The only people I saw were runners, dog walkers and cyclists and everyone was giving everyone else a very generous two metres distance.

Unfortunately, Lindsey had to change the day for personal training so that's now on today.  I didn't mind - it gave me the window of time to get that seed sowing under way.

The online SW meeting was good although I heard less this week as people were talking over each other.  It's understandable when you don't see many people or have many chat times so I wasn't upset.  However, it meant that I didn't participate all that much.  Never mind.

I didn't get round to watching the Nutcracker because I found a series about the history of six significant castles around the British Isles which really was very interesting.  It covered castles such as Warwick Castle, Caernarfon Castle, the Tower of London, etc.  There's a couple left to watch, maybe over the weekend.
So I still have Nutcracker, the National Theatre's Jane Eyre starts streaming this evening and will be available until the 16th and tomorrow Jesus Christ, Superstar will be available too.  Not to mention following Eileen's advice and checking what the Royal Albert Hall has on offer.  Spoilt for choice is what comes to mind.

And, finally, after my whinge about how the algebra was getting harder, something clicked a bit and I got through the last bit of the chapter without any more problems (just a lot of thinking).

There's plenty of plans for today.  Maybe I will, maybe I won't but there's enough to keep me busy, should I find myself starting to brood about things.

Something energetic:
There's the personal training, of course, and I might pop out for a walk around the block at some point.

Something for the house/garden
The weeds are getting very bold and need putting in their place!  I also want to feed the soil with some chicken manure I seem to have in a corner of the garden.  It's high time it was used.  Finally, I want to top up the pots with some good stuff out of the compost bin so that when the plants are ready to put out, all will be ready.  I'm short of potting compost and it's hard to get hold of any quickly so I am eking out the half bag I have with compost which should be a good medium and I have slow release granules as well.

Something social:
I'll have a good old chat with Lindsey during training!

Something creative:
I dug out a dress pattern and cut out the fabric so today I will mark all the important points, zigzag around the seams and maybe get going with the construction.  Maybe . . .
The fabric is some I found when clearing out Mum's sewing things last spring.

Something entertaining:
So much choice - see above.  Also I haven't started reading the Merlin books yet either.  Life may be a bit restrictive at the moment but it certainly isn't dull.

Oh - and the algebra.  I'm on the last section now.  Linear equations.  Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful day, stay safe and well.  xx

Later addition:  I've just opened an email that tells me that part of my tomato order has been dispatched.  Woo hoo!  Happy me.  I will get the pots ready.



6 comments:

  1. Your potatoes are sprouting better than mine, but then we are always more behind up here in the North!
    My tomatoes are just tiny seedlings at the moment but at least they have appeared - I have bought plants before to get a head start but am having to sow my own this year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning to get them from the local garden centre so I'e now ordered online and I'm just hoping that they will be delivered in good time. They should be, I'm feeling more optimistic.
      xx

      Delete
  2. There's so much on offer to entertain us during this period that it's almost impossible to keep up, isn't it?

    I'm behind you on the algebra. I haven't been as disciplined about doing some every day so will start back in it after Easter. The silly thing is, I enjoy it when I remember to do it! My Easter project is to get started on the crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to a bit every day but I won't today. I'm desperately tired and am resting as much as possible. Up at three really isn't great. :-)
      Yes, it's going to be well nigh impossible really. Good, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  3. The weather has been glorious, hasn't it? We'd have been forgiven for thinking it was a summer's day here yesterday, in fact I applied sunscreen for my daily walk! Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. I just hope it doesn't tempt people to go out to places they shouldn't. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the big problem, isn't it? Let's hope everyone is sensible. And it really is gorgeous today.
      xx

      Delete