Tuesday 21 April 2020

Tuesday

Good morning!  Yesterday was another beautifully sunny day but it was more than a little bit chilly in a moderate wind.  I wore one of my warm hand knits over a T shirt, expecting to need to take it off, but it stayed on all day, even inside.  Today looks promising too but, fingers crossed, a little warmer.

Allotment update:  I know I'm boring about the allotment right now but - as we all say - it's my blog!  < grin >.
I'm very pleased that I've pretty much finished that strip I am uncovering and prepping.  One more session's work and it will be done and dusted and ready for the baby plants as soon as they are ready - which won't be this month, for sure.  I also manured it and scattered some slow release pellets over it.  That, with the watering (the water's still off over my side), took all my time and I came home feeling more than a bit weary!  It's worth the effort though, definitely worth the effort.
You can see how little still needs doing now.  The soil isn't great, rather clay-ey, but with some work it will improve, I am sure.

I'm keeping the rest of the ground cover on all season and, maybe, next season too.  There's some nasty, pernicious weeds there and I gather the best way to deal with them is to keep that cover on over several seasons.  The other is some sort of very strong weed killer.
The other option is to keep the cover on permanently and to build some raised bed on top.  They'de have to be quite high and would take a lot of topsoil but I might discuss it with Beth.  We'd then have the ground level areas for things like potatoes and runner beans/other taller stuff and raised beds for things like onions, carrots, courgettes, etc, etc.
It would cost, Jeff would have to come and help, I think but probably no more expensive than a week's holiday and I would consider it money well spent.
You can see where I mean in this photo, taken before yesterday's work.
What do you think?

At home, some of the plantlets are sending out their second leaves, the real leaves, and will soon be ready to plant on.  I am very thankful that I now have enough potting compost and don't need to worry about running out.

After that, the highlight of the day was a chat with Chris who lives opposite me in the cul de sac.  We used to be colleagues at school - she was a great TA in foundation stage and still goes back to help - or, rather, went back to help until all this blew up.  We were talking about the rumours that schools might go back in three weeks.  I'm not so sure about that and neither is she and we both said we'd not be going back to help until the health situation is a lot more stable than it is right now.

The rest of the day passed in enjoying myself in the kitchen, watching back to back Pride and Prejudice episodes and starting The Vicar of Dibley (always makes me laugh).  I was very tired for the rest of the day and slept like a log last night after more or less forcing myself to stay awake until after nine.  In fact, I can't even remember settling in bed after turning the lights out.

Today is a bit different.  I can't get to the allotment first thing asd there's enough people wanting an online Tuesday morning SW Zoom meeting now so Jennifer's starting one.  However, I do want to go down there.  The grass really does need mowing or the dandelions will start seeding all over everything and the newly sown seeds will need watering.  I'll see how I feel about finishing off the last bit of covered ground - I might leave that until tomorrow.
So:
Something energetic:
Has to be mowing the car standing area down the allotment.  That's going to be hard work indeed!

Something in house/garden:
I have some washing in the machine as I type, so there will be ironing to do and I want to get some compost around the strawberries (which are starting to flower).

Something social:
Has to be the SW Zoom meeting, doesn't it?  I wonder who the other participants will be.

Something creative:
Apart from sock knitting, I've done nothing creative for several days, but that's OK, I don't HAVE to.  I'd really like to start the crochet but there may not be time - not when I'm feeling alert enough to concentrate, I mean.

Something entertaining:
I'm missing the Jamie 'Keep Cooking' programmes now they have finished.  There's still the others though, Daily Kitchen Live, Homes under the Hammer and House of Games, not to mention carrying on with the Vicar of Dibley, so there's plenty to keep me entertained.

So that's today!  They are passing very quickly and enjoyably which is nice.  I hope yours are too - what are your plans for today?  xx

7 comments:

  1. I don't find your allotment chat at all boring. Far from it, it's interesting though I don't know where you get your energy from. The idea of raised beds sounds good.

    The days are passing very quickly. In many ways I am busier during lockdown than I was before. I've definitely 'been' to the theatre more times in the last three weeks than I usually manage in a year ... not that I'm complaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of many positives about this current situation that there are so many quality shows available from time to time right now.
      And thank you for the reassurance. I suppose motivation is a great energiser and it's a good time of year for allotments/gardens. All that new life.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of your allotment - it's taken me all my time to do a bit of basic weeding. I love you put the photo of your frock in your header. It fits just right there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do rather enjoy being down the allotment. At the moment, it feels like being a bit naughty, even though it's not really. ;-)
      And thank you. I might even get to wear it at some point, you never know.
      Hoping the day went well for you.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Joy. Have you seen 'Morag Gambol' no dig gardening' on you tube. I wish I had seen it when I had my allotment. I am really looking forward to seeing all your produce over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. It sounds a bit of an oxymoron and I'm intrigued. I'll check it out later, thanks.
      xx

      Delete