Sunday 12 May 2019

Sunday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's a chilly morning but the sun is shining and it should warm up fairly quickly.  I popped out into the garden to take a few 'photos of promise'.

 Despite the cooler weather, I should have a nice little crop of strawberries soon.




Longer standing readers mar remember the saga of the Tayberry that Refused to Die.  Well, here it is this year - definitely flowering at long last.



I have really enjoyed my swims this week, mostly because of the chance to have a proper hot wash afterwards.  I'm so glad I didn't live two or three generations ago when a standing wash was the norm.  Somehow, it is just slightly unsatisfying, even when you know you've done a good job.
After I left the gym yesterday, I somehow lost my way and wandered into Matalan.  I'm glad I did because I wandered out again with . . .
one nice top (not needed but . . .)
two summer cardigans (needed)
one small, black handbag (wanted)
four small, ovenproof dishes (useful)
I've been looking for lighter weight cardigans for a while so was really pleased to find these which are 60% cotton.

I really didn't need the top but it was so pretty and quite cheap.

Need isn't really the word for the black handbag but I've been looking for a cheap one for evenings.  I have a small brown one (from Mum), a small blue one (bought for the funeral) and wanted a black one for times when the blue and brown ones don't 'work'.

As for the dishes - well, it's just too easy to let portions get bigger and bigger and these are just right for single (smaller) portions of things like cottage pie, etc, when I don't need to make anything bigger because it's just for me.  I was really pleased to see these and snapped them up quickly.

Once home, I pottered around until Beth arrived.  She has several parcels (connected with Kitty Stitches) and I watched with interest as she opened them and produced several lengths of fabric, either fat quarters or larger lengths.
It was all gorgeous but here's just one photo of fabric I think is so cute.  I have no idea what she is going to make with it.

The colour isn't right on the left; there's no pink!

Today I am going for another showe . . . swim and hope to be there as soon as the doors open.  After that I have some washing, some ironing, some telly and some thinking about sewing and What to Make (if anything).
This retired life is just such hard work!!!

Have a super day and I hope the weather is good for you too.  xx


8 comments:

  1. You seem to have reached the stage where you don't know how you had the time to go to work!!! Fortunately I have a second shower so I dont need to go swimming and hopefully on monday I can get someone out to mend the upstairs shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Diane, I have. Good, isn't it? :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I agree. This retired life is hard work ... all this thinking of what to do first out of the many hobbies on my list is wearing me out 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I so understand./ Brain-achingly hard work! ;-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm not retirement age for a few years yet, but am effectively retired as I shan't be working again. I also have plenty of things to do but what I like the most is the fact that there's no hurry, I can do them in my own time - or even choose not to if I so desire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best bit of the whole lot, Sooze, I agree. Total choice most of the time. It's great.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Thankfully weather has been good here again and it's to be good all week too :-) Good clothes haul, sometimes you just have to be in the mood and the bargains appear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like buses. None for ages and then three arrive in a row! :-)
      xx

      Delete