Saturday 4 May 2019

Saturday

Good morning, everyone.  I'm at Dad's, sitting up in bed with the curtains open, the sun shining in, coffee to hand and laptop open in front of me.  It's lovely.

Yesterday turned out to be a good day, especially in the evening.  I got the house tidied and ready for the cleaners, packed and then set out for Dad's.  There was quite a bit of rain on the way and at times it was slow moving.  I was glad to be in a line of vehicles so I didn't have to worry about not being able to see too far ahead.

I was also glad to see Dad looking so much better.  He is looking much less strained and more relaxed and seems to be very much on top of things.  For example, I said I'd change his sheets and use the new sheets I bought during the week but he did it himself, no problems.  I'll wash the sheets for him and, as it seems to be a lovely morning, maybe will get them out on the line.

Dinner at the Millstream was great.  Neighbours A and Z (honestly!) came too and we chatted endlessly.  I did go OTT but enjoyed every mouthful and don't feel bad about it.  Sometimes there are more important things than SW programmes, aren't there, and last night was one of those times.

Today should be a quiet and gentle day.  I'd like to pop to Tesco or Sainsburys this morning for a few things I need for meals today and tomorrow and there's the washing and drying to do.  I'll ask Dad if there's anything he'd like me to do but now he has so much more time and freedom, he is getting things done himself and I'm here for the company, not to provide respite.  I can feel the worry lifting.

Well, I'd better stop rambling now.  Have a great day and stay warm - it's expected to feel quite chilly today.  xx


17 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, sunny here but definitely chilly. Your Dad is doing so well, it must be a great weight (no pun intended! Lol) off your mind. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a great relief. Thanks, Sooze.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It must be a relief to know your dad is managing well, so you are able to relax and enjoy each other's company.
    Good for you enjoying your meal last night. You are so very right. Some things are more important.
    Enjoy your weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all very much less stressful all round really.
      Thanks - I hope your weekend is good too.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that your Dad is doing so well, one tends to forget how time consuming, all encompassing, stressful, and frustrating at times, it is caring for a dementia sufferer that you are emotionally involved with. May he enjoy his newly found time to himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say that the boiler is working again, he came quite early in the afternoon, pressed the reset button and pronouncing it was just a glitsch, apparently the gas valve had shut itself off and no idea why, bingo!! At least I know where and what to do if it happens again.

      Delete
    2. I think he is - he's started a few projects which is great.
      Thank goodness the heating is OK - it really isn't the weather for none.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It must be such a relief for you to see that your dad is coping so well and is looking more relaxed. I’m also pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal out - this is the time for being kind to yourself and the occasional treat will do you good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most enjoyable and this weekend's visit has been less stressful than they have been for years. It is a huge relief, thanks, Eileen!
      xx

      Delete
  5. A lovely post full of good news.
    I'm so pleased to hear how well your dad is doing.
    I have a friend who's husband has dementia. She said that she did her mourning a while ago because the man she now cares for may look like her husband but doesn't behave in the same way.
    The great thing is that you both loved and cared for your mum till she died so now you can enjoy life for yourselves.
    It sounds as though yesterday marked a period of new beginnings for both of you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's rather how I felt too - Mum by the end wasn't the Mum I knew all my life. I mourn the Mum she was while being glad the Mum she became is now at peace.
      My heart goes out to your friend.
      xx

      Delete
  6. glad you are having some nice weather and your dad is feeling positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gill. The weather did turn but there was still some sunshine - always cheering!
      xx

      Delete
  7. I'm curious to know what OTT stands for. Regardless, it sounds like life is working for you and your Dad. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It means Over The Top.
      And thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Such good news about your Dad. I'll be in the same predicament for my Weight Watchers meeting on Monday evening. We went out to dinner tonight, and we're going to dinner at Pete's daughter's house tomorrow night. If she has a good dessert, I know I'll be eating some. Oh well, in the past if I knew I wasn't going to do well on the scales, I would skip the meeting and promise to make up for it the next week. Then I'd go off track again and wait another week, and on and on. This time around, I've promised myself to go to every meeting, regardless of what I expect to see on the scales. We just have to do the best we can and try to enjoy ourselves along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! My take is that missing a meeting isn't going to help and might perhaps do harm and facing the music and dancing anyway is a positive step to take. We're in it for the long haul, aren't we?
      xx

      Delete