Wednesday 20 March 2019

Wednesday

Good morning, one and all.  It's another dry morning.  No sun yet, but after it broke through yesterday, it was a very pleasant day, so fingers crossed.  It doesn't have to be warm, just not wet!

Pottery was, as always, great.  The last session of this term although there is an add-on session next week for which we just turn up and pay on the day.
I didn't finish anything but I worked on the pendants, two of which are now glazed and in the kiln.  The others were rubbed and scraped and generally neatened off and are now ready for firing.  I did the same to the first leaf coaster and that will be fired by next week too.  I cut out and moulded the second coaster (different shape) and had some leftover rolled clay so I cut out another little pendant (I'll need to wear these, won't I?) in the shape of a leaf.

(I seem to have forgotten to photo the first coaster, the one that's ready for firing)

Next week I will do two more leaf coasters so I have a set of four and I have to think what to do next term.  I think I want to do some kind of bowl with some relief on the edge, although I have other sketches too.  This is why I need to keep on going - it would be awful to stop now.

They've started the road repairs down our road although they started at the other end (it's a cul-de-sac) and didn't get as far as where I am (about half way down) yesterday.  I guess it will be our turn today.  I don't need the car for anything so I won't bother to move it out of the road.

I'm not sure what I thought of Sewing Bee yesterday.  It was all about tailoring and there were some simply gorgeous woolen tweeds and linens in use but - oh, I just kept thinking 'what a waste'.  My mum used to go to tailoring classes (her verson of my pottery, I guess, although her work was an awful lot better than mine will ever be) and I remember how long one garment would take her.  She made some simply gorgeous skirts, jackets and, especially, coats (some of which may be mine one day) and I know what time and patience she expended to get it all absolutely spot on right.
To make them panic and rush and create items that, frankly, were terrible in many cases, seemed so wrong and a great disrespect to the fabrics.
Bake Off is the same - they just don't have enough time to show what they can really do.
And, in the end, the lady I had down as a possible winner went out.  So sad and she was such a help to the others, she will be greatly missed.

(It won't stop me watching it though!)

Today I overslept which was a pain as I had early morning things to do (which I have now done).  I have my friend, Val, over for lunch and then, weather permitting, we will go for a stroll in the woods close by.

I also have a bit of tuition to plan for and some ironing to get on with but, apart from that, it is an easy day.
I hope yours is too.
xx


14 comments:

  1. Those are little works of art you have produced you must be so pleased with yourself.
    I don't watch the Sewing Bee I think it would irritate me too much. I used to work in a bespoke tailors shop - a high class establishment in Cheltenham. The head tailor was a little Italian man who sat high up on his bench in the tiny workroom crossed legged, stitching away. If you made a wrong stitch he would throw the garment back at you! There were 6 of us and we were a human conveyor belt in that one jacket was passed to each person to do one job - I was on basting and then advanced onto buttonholes as my stitches were neat and even. We had to baste the whole jacket together for the first fitting and the only seam that was sewn for this was the centre back seam. It had to look like it had been sewn together but once the fitting was done and any alterations made it was all taken apart again to be sewn properly by machine. The whole process took days but was fascinating. We still used the old fashioned heavy irons back then heated on the fire in the corner. I was also on tea duty being the newest and youngest and I had to lay a proper tea tray with cloth and everything and we all stopped at 11am sharp for exactly 15 minutes and the boss who owned the establishment joined us - so no chit chat or laughter! Sounds like the dark ages.... it was 1975!
    Have a good day with your friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It souns like a very profesional and workmanlike atmosphere to be honest, and I bet you had a lot of pride in what you did and made.
      You really would find Sewing Bee frustrating. :-0
      xx

      Delete
  2. Not commented for a while, Joy, as not been well - awful toothache which turned out to be my own fault - I had bitten into an apple and a piece of the skin had damaged the gum and set up an infection. So, beware apple skin! But all OK now, thank goodness. You are doing so well with your pottery, Wedgwood look out!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Margaret, poor you. Dental infections are really horrible. I'm glad it's all better now.
      xx

      Delete
  3. So are you doing different shape, same colour for the coasters? I do like the little pendants.

    I don’t watch the Sewing Bee of GBBO anymore for much the same reason. I’d rather the contestants were given more time to allow them to show off their skills properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am - different shapes and same colour appealed more when it came to making a decision.
      I guess they think mild panic makes for good viewing but I don't think they are really able to show what they can do.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy seeing your work, Joy. The little house and pendants are delightful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules, that's such a lovely thing to say.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I do love your leaves, Joy. I don't watch Sewing Bee, as I've always loathed sewing since school days, so it doesn't appeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      It's not everyone's cuppa, is it?
      xx

      Delete
  6. The weather was gorgeous here today for the first day of spring. Went to work with my coat but had to carry it home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, it felt quite chilly here - hardly any sun and I guess that made the difference.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I love seeing your pottery and I don't think you give yourself enough credit - they're really attractive (Including the mousehog!) and I look forward to the final result!

    ReplyDelete