Sunday 15 September 2024

Sunday evening, 15-09-24

 Evening, everyone.  I guess you could say we are officially half way through September - or will be in about four hours or so.  It felt a lot milder today, thank goodness, and the sunshine was lovely.

I popped out to Home Bargains to get (don't all shout at once) some more yarn.  Last time I was there, they had some big balls of yarn (300g) for £4.99.  I got some with the idea of making a jumper but, instead, watched a YouTube video showing how to crochet a lovely waffle pattern blanket with the edging incorporated into the pattern.  I liked it so much, I decided to use the yarn for that.
To be honest, it is not the best quality yarn anyway.  It was wound very badly and I kept having to detangle it (I like to draw the thread from the middle) and it might possibly have felt a bit uncomfortable against my skin (possibly, it seems OK so far)

I took a screen shot of the blanket (pumpkin not included!) from the video.

I'm doing it in bluey, pinky, mauvey variegated yarn so it will look quite different, but it's so lovely and will be warm as it is sort of three dimensional.  The stitch is surprisingly easy too and I just love that the border is an inclusive part, not made separately and attached afterwards.

Here's a link to the actual video if anyone is interested in taking a look.  It is US vocabulary, not UK.

Anyway, I thought I probably wouldn't have enough yarn so I went to see if there was any more.  There was but a different dye lot.  However, because of how it is, providing I alternate the dye lots, it should look absolutely fine and any differences won't show.  

And, bad me, they also had some little 'winter planters' for £5.99, each with some ivy, a variegated mini-shrub and some pansies.  I fell and bought two.  It's too late to take a photo now but I will try to remember tomorrow.

And - ooops - as I am doing my Twelve Days of Christmas thingy again this year, I've been collecting little things and I found a few there.

Finally - candles.  You have to have candles once the nights close in and the one that is burning right now is nearly down and out.

You might call it a profitable outing or you might raise eyebrows, tut and shrug shoulders!  I don't mind - I did myself, a bit.

Alex was round for lunch and afterwards I took him back and popped in to see Beth.  She's still feeling absolutely rotten with a temperature and is going to the GP tomorrow.  Poor love, she really is having a rough time.
I came away with a shopping list which I will do after circuits tomorrow and take over.

I'm going to send this now and then relax in my recliner, telly on, crochet on the go until it is bedtime.  All the best, everyone.  Stay warm and cosy and sleep well.  xx



14 comments:

  1. That’s a lovely pattern and will make a cosy blanket. Sorry to hear about Beth still being unwell and hope the GP can help. Did all my prep for Craft Class so just have the ironing to do tomorrow. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. It must feel good to have the craft stuff ready and waiting. xx

      Delete
  2. I really like that waffle pattern and saved it to my YouTube folder. Thank you Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it. Really simple too. xx

      Delete
  3. Sat in your recliner,tv on,glass of wine?Sounds blissful.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, wine. It doesn't agree with me at the moment. :-) A flute of sparkling water instead. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely waffle blanket, looks doable, once you get used to the American crochet terms.

    To check whether yarn is itchy I was advised about the bra test years ago. Take a bit of yarn, roll it around your finger and stick it down your bra and keep it there (remove finger!) . If it doesn't itch within an hour you're ok. Rather fun because I tend to forget about it and find it falling off when I undress at night. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one. I wonder what they would say if I tried that in Home Bargains!!! Hee hee.
      Yes, I think it is a very nice blanket without thousands of ends to sew in.
      xx

      Delete
  5. You had an enjoyable shopping trip and it's nice to give in to temptation once in a while.
    I hope the doctor can sort out Beth's problems, poor soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely crochet stitch for a blanket, is it easy to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Some stitches are done into the back of the stitch below and some are through the stem of the stitch below but the video shows this very clearly so understanding it was not a problem at all. xx

      Delete
  7. The blanket looks gorgeous. I think I'll take a look at this pattern, as I'm looking for something crafty to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I am really enjoying it. There's enough variation in the stitch to be interesting but not challenging and I think I will have a really lovely thing when it's done that I will happily use.
      Let me know!
      xx

      Delete