Friday 22 December 2023

Interesting . . . and day 1 and 2

 I don't seem to be able to get into my sent posts to read comments but I do seem to be able to create new posts.  Hopefully, anyway!

Yesterday morning, the car came early for Diane and then me and I was very glad of Diane's text letting me know so I could get the cases closed.  A bit touch and go but I managed.
It was a very smooth drive to Southampton although that driver was a right lane hopper!!  I would never have dared find the spaces he managed to find without being hooted at.
Once there, the cases were whisked off to magically reappear in our cabins later and we, plus hand luggage were ushered through security to registration and onto the ship.

Me getting ready for Christmas!  Some people have decorated their cabin doors - I never thought of that!  It looks lovely and festive.
Here's the view from the window.  It's not a huge space, of course, but it is very comfortable, plenty of storage, more coat hangers than I know what to do with and the bed is so comfortable.
Diane and I wandered around to get our bearings and to find somewhere to eat, serenaded by a musical trio and a father Christmas hatted tree!

I could go on for ages but suffice it to say we had a nice lunch, unpacked and turned our cabins into our homes, joined the rest of the First Traveller group for pre dinner drinks and generally started to relax!

The food is amazing!  Portions are just right, not too much, thank goodness, and beautifully cooked and served.  I had avocado for starter . . .
. . . and gammon for mains.  This looks loads but the gammon was thin and tender, there were six chips and how they got the egg so perfect, I have no idea - I regularly overcook my eggs at home!

There was a huge variety of breakfast food today but I went for fresh fruit, nuts, seeds and some Greek yogurt.  Lunch was fish and chips - the fish was small pieces in the lightest, crunchiest batter you ever did see.

Slimming world?  What's Slimming World.

 First thing this morning I had my nails done.  I don't usually so it was a bit of a pamper treat.  Mind you, I've already managed to smudge one a bit which is why I generally don't fuss about my nails as long as they are clean and straight!

A couple of hours ago we went to a talk on tanzanite, a precious stone only found in Tanzania.  It was jolly interesting and the chap did a good sales spiel too (he has one of the boutique shops on board) but no way - not at those prices!
It's now 15:20 (14:20 for the UK) and we're both having down time in our cabins before dressing up for formal dinner.  Ooooh, posh.

It's pretty choppy!  I'm sitting beside the window typing  and keep stopping to watch the waves.  I'll try to post a video clip below.  There's a lot of side to side movement with some sudden bumps and everyone has adopted a sort of wide legged way of walking to keep their valance.  Generally, people are 'senior' - my age or older - and I think many are finding it a bit of a challenge.
I've invested in a couple of anti-nausea wrist bands and I have to say they do seem to be working (so far).

Here's the clip - it's got a bit rougher since I filmed it and it has started raining too.  Lovely North Sea weather!  All very exciting and feels adventurous!


Anyway, that's me so far.  With any luck, I can keep posting but don't worry if I go quiet.   I will do what I can.
Now to send this and then go back to see if I can open my sent messages and reply to comments.
Bye, all.  xxx






10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying it all so far, Joy (apart from the lane-hopping driver! And perhaps not the choppy sea!). It all looks lovely, the room and the food. My wedding ring is white gold set with two rows of tiny diamonds and a row of Tanzanites in the middle - I'd never heard of them before I got the ring (it's a replacement for my original wedding ring), I just liked the beautiful lilac colour of them. Please continue posting if/when you can, I'd love to follow the rest of your journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own two pair of the anti-nausea wrist bands. They work wonderfully for me.
    I never leave home without them. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Have a lovely cruise. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you to have this lovely experience, Joy! I loved the video of the waves. Enjoy yourself to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious, even with the sea! Looking forward to your posts as you can.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were hit by those salesmen on Tanzanite when on our Alaskan cruise. Much too expensive, even though they plastered my fingers and neck with jewels.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely everything looks! Not sure about that sea though. I get sea sick at the best of times.
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All looking lovely x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just looking at that choppy sea turned me green . Glad those bands are helping. I'd need an armful. Have a wonderful holiday. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds very exciting, Joy. And the food looks delicious. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. X

    ReplyDelete