Friday 29 December 2023

Cruise day 8

Morning!   It's not far off quarter to nine a.m. here and I'm just back in my cabin waiting for Diane after doing my first mile around the deck.  I've been very lazy this last week and have missed the exercise.  It was great, walking briskly round four laps - one isn't allowed to jog or power walk, it seems.  It's cold but not that bad being so close to the inner decks with warmer air blasting out occasionally, and now I feel great!
And hungry . . .

Regarding the jacuzzi, the main issue is that the air temperature is around -14C, just a tad colder than Center Parcs.  ❄❅❆☃

13:04
It's been a lazy morning doing not very much at all.  We've just had lunch . . .

I'm tending to go for the buffet lunch.  I pile on lovely fresh salad and then add some lean(ish) protein - swordfish and gammon today and I also added a few chips today which were lovely.

We're just having some cabin time before leaving on the excursion.

17:50:
We're not long back from Sorrisniva and the Ice Hotel.  Here's some info:  https://www.sorrisniva.no/hotels/igloo-hotel

It was a pleasant drive but too dark to see much.  We nearly hit a moose, mind you, only avoided by some clever driving/skidding - we all gave the coach driver a clap and cheer!  

When we got there, we split into two groups.  Our group did the igloo-that-is-also-a-hotel first and then the ice sculpture.
I think the photos speak for themselves!

Some sculptures were snow sculptures rather than ice sculptures.  They didn't photograph well but you get the idea.

Recognise the fairy tale?
A clue:
'Trip, trap, trip trap,
Over the rickety bridge.'


It really is a hotel - rooms and suites at exorbitant cost - and heated bathrooms/loos!
Very well insulated sleeping bags also provided.
We called this one 'Troll on the loo'
. . . and talking of loos - we loved this sign which I HAVE to show despite the poor quality!  This was in the visitors' centre.
Ice sculpture came next and we were all totally useless.
It was a lot of fun though!

All in all, an amazing trip, exceeding all our expectations.  And to think all this wondrous art melts in spring and they rebuild and re-sculpt the whole thing anew each year with a different theme.
Gifted artists now come from all over the world to contribute.
I really want to come back again some time in the future.
Come on, Premium Bonds - get your act together


Then it was time to get back to the ship for embarkment (is that the right word?) for Tromso, the 'gateway to the Arctic'.

No sign of the Northern Lights yet.

20:25

Dinner: starter was seared steak tartare which always makes me think of Mr Bean - do you remember?
It was really nice though.
Main was chicken and mushroom gnocchi plus some green veg (green beans and broccoli).  It was OK, more mushroom than chicken and a bit 'solid' - but I ate the lot!
Dessert was a sort of banoffee sundae.  Really nice. 

And then tiredness hit big time - to a lot of us, not just me.  It wasn't just the < cough > glasses of wine, honest!

I don't know about the others but Diane and I retired to our cabins straight after dinner.  I'm just getting this ready for posting tomorrow morning and then I am off to bed.

Tomorrow we dock in Tromso and view the Arctic highlights.  
We visit the Arctic experience centre, cross the Tromso bridge, visit the modern Arctic Cathedral and finally take a cable car ride.  Really looking forward to all that.

But for now we are  cruising away from Alta with a reassuring thrum of engines and a gentle rocking in the waves.   Goodbye, Alta.  I hope I see you again sometime.

I am just loving this adventure . . .







10 comments:

  1. It sounds incredible. Those ice sculptures must be wonderful to actually see. Have a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ice Hotel looks amazing. Although I think I'd rather be like you, staying in your cosy cabin. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice sculpture is terrific wherever you are, but the ice hotel is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really is the trip of a lifetime isn't it, you're seeing some amazing things and places. I do hope the Northern Lights oblige. And yes, -14 is a bit colder than Center Parcs!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving your cruise updates! My good friend is currently on a Caribbean cruise and her photos compared to yours are weather opposites!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your cruise adventure is amazing! Fingers crossed you get to see the Northern Lights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are great, I'm so enjoying this x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything sounds so wonderful! I do hope you'll see the Northern Lights. The captain may announce them during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so so cold in Florida at 59 degrees. Lol…I can’t imagine living in cold again but probably will. Enjoy…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lights were fogged in and grand missed them three times in Nov. she enjoyed Iceland anyway…Brenda

    ReplyDelete