Wednesday 20 December 2023

Wednesday, 20-12-23: Blogmas 20

Good morning, everyone, welcome to Wednesday.  Yesterday was as wet as I can remember in a long time although it did ease off a bit from time to time.  Not a day for going out much, for sure.

It was a busy day.  I started pottering before Groove and continued afterwards and now the packing is all done.  Because we are being driven to Southampton, we are allowed two suitcases plus any hand luggage stuff and each suitcase has a limit of 20k or 44lbs.  Not being much of a traveller, I had no idea what that looked like but have discovered that 40k is actually an awful lot and both my cases are several pounds under. Yes, packing is done although the posh stuff is draped over the top of the relevant case.  Later on, I will bring the cases downstairs and leave them, still open and draped, ready to close tomorrow.  

I'm taking the laptop, etc, in my backpack and the fact that my snow boots and other slip-on outdoor shoes are in a supermarket bag (very on trend, you understand!) is more to do with space than weight.

I've sorted out the fridge.  I tend to keep a fair old supply of fresh stuff that would have lasted me but won't get used now so I drove splashily over to Beth's with it where it was gratefully received.  There's just a few bits left which I will have to bin, should they not be used today.

Groove was fun, even though I was the only one online.  There were others actually at the studio so I wasn't on my own!  The camera worked this time, I had both audio and video straight away and phew.

I've been buttered up good and proper today!  Two goodies for the last Advent Calendar opening - a strawberry lip butter and  a little tin of avocado butter for dry skin.
I'm going to pop both in my hand luggage!

So, on to today.
Apart from getting the cases down which is important but not time consuming, on my list today is:

1.  coffee with Chris - we have plenty to catch up on and when she suggested we have a coffee and chat today I leapt at it! 

2.  Cases down as mentioned above.  I think I am going to be very glad I don't have to do much lifting and moving them about - the chauffeur (ooooh - posh, innit?) will do all that.  Also put on the labels provided - only just remembered that one!

3.  Check all the paperwork - again.  I must have checked it all a dozen times already!!  Neurotic?  Moi???

4.  Do a bit of a house tidy.  That won't take long, it's not in a mess, just a bit untidy in places.  I don't need to do a clean because on Friday the cleaners are coming to do the last clean ever - but that's another story and I'll tell you about that in the New Year

5.  Get the technology ready.  Some things are needed every night such as the hearing aid charger so I will make a list - yup, another list - for tomorrow morning.  I really can't forget the charger, that would be an absolute disaster!

6.  Do the last Groove class.  Actually, Lindsey has been discharged from jury service as not required.  I think the judge is unwell or something.  So she's packing in a few extra classes but I think I will stick with the evening Groove class.  I really do enjoy them.

7.  Do some scheduled posts in here.  See below for details

8.  Check everything again, then wash hair, get into pjs and have a relaxing evening.  In theory!

Phew!
Actually, it looks like a long list but none of it is very time or energy consuming except for Groove which is meant to be!
If you can think of anything else I ought to be doing, please pop it in the comments!!

Now - about this blog.  At the moment I am really not sure what the signal will be like.   I will be paying to have daily connection (ouch) but it may not be all that good.  That being so, I'm going to schedule posts up to and including Christmas Day that I can add to if possible.  I hope it is - I want to share photos, etc, with you all so fingers crossed.
After Christmas Day, I will post if I can but don't worry if there aren't any.  It all depends.

Today's Blogmas music is 'The Shepherds' Farewell' from 'L'enfance du Christ' by Hector Berlioz.  It's one of those pieces that people know without knowing what it is they know, I think.  I love it.







22 comments:

  1. Good morning, Joy! I have, once again, enjoyed much needed catch-up with your posts. Lily is sat beside me and said how much she loves the owls on your header photograph :)
    I'm sorry you've had some changes to your original plans on your run up to the big day. These are often disappointing but can sometimes work out for the best. I'm in a similar position myself, but I've found I'm actually quite relieved that I can now relax a bit more instead. Perhaps I've tried to fit too much in - a lesson learned.
    Anyway, I'm so happy that you're all organised and ready for your trip. I hope you have the very best time and I'll look forward to reading all about it. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to be taken by car to the ship-it won’t matter what he weather is like. Enjoy your cruise and relax and explore. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just. It's great! And it's supposed to be pretty wet again tomorrow too. Woo hoo! xx

      Delete
  3. All building up to a very exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just. And a one off experience, I expect (unless the premium bonds come up - so never!!). Thanks, Sue. xx

      Delete
  4. Exciting! Don't forget your passport and chargers for phone and lap top. Hopefully you won't need any adapters. I hope you really enjoy this cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on the list!! I have some European adapters, just in case. xx

      Delete
  5. A fair few years ago we did a cruise that started by being driven to the dock, it's great, so nice not having to worry about driving or lifting heavy luggage. I think all your readers are looking forward to hearing about your adventures.......I'm including myself in that of course 😍
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed - I really want to but it all depends on the connection.
      It feels a really good start - so easy and 'guided'. I'm loving it. xx

      Delete
  6. I think we're all urging you on. I'm sure you haven't forgotten anything but understand your need to check and recheck. You can breathe easy once you're on board.
    I love this carol. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > I can feel it!
      I just have a few more little things that I can't really do until later so I'm going to have a nice, chilled afternoon. xx

      Delete
  7. Just an fyi, many of the cruise lines have recently added Starlink as their Internet provider. As a result, wifi access on the ships has been much improved.
    I've been reading your blog, and enjoying it very much for some time now. I love to cruise so when I read you were going on your first, I was very much excited for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for commenting. Fingers crossed that I can get reasonable internet access as I really do want to share stuff as we go. xx.

      Delete
  8. The getting everything packed and ready stage builds up the excitement, doesn't it? Nearly here now, we'll be looking forward to virtually cruising with you. Have a wonderful time, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. One more sleep, as the children say. xx

      Delete
  9. Have an absolutely fantastic time Joy. Will be thinking of you and all the fun you will be having celebrating Christmas in such a memorable and exciting way. God bless, dear friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. Everyone's been so very nice about it, sharing the excitement. It's really appreciated. xx

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your trip and have a wonderfully fantastic time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When do you return. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry about the blog. We'll all look forward to hearing about all your travels when you get back. Maybe jot something down each day just so you remember the days happenings and report them when you get back.

    Will you be keeping a travel journal?

    Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to treat myself to a nice notebook and pen on the ship and make some notes, yes.
      Thanks. xx

      Delete