Saturday 2 December 2023

Saturday, 02-12-23: Blogmas 2

Morning, everyone.  I've not had a very good night.  Late to bed and wide awake by three.  It's just as well I have a clear morning because I can see I'll be falling asleep well before lunch!  It's another cold and frosty start to the day and it is expected to stay below or close to zero all day.  Tomorrow should be milder.

After saying yesterday that we never get snow, look - evidence.  This was as far as it went, just a very light fluttering that started during Slimming World.  Pretty but inconsequential.  ❄❄❄
This particular bit of wall still looks the same this morning, a testimony to how cold it remained out of the sun.


The big news is - it's finished, more or less.  
The freezer is back in the shed, as is the shelving unit (after a good old clean as it had been left outside so was filthy).
After the team had gone, I got going with moving stuff around.  First I moved out that corner unit, the artificial plants and the Christmas tree (which needs raising up, I think) and then out went the two chairs (which do look really nice so maybe they will stay).
The Christmas boxes went into the shed until after Christmas when they will go back to the garage again.

As a result, downstairs looks so much better again, the clutter has gone and I can breathe.
Mind you, I had rather got used to having the freezer inside and will need to be more organised in getting my daily supplies in one go again.

The walls still need to be finished, when the weather is more favourable, and they haven't yet re-sited my washing line which is a bit of a pain.  They know and will come back next week with the right equipment.

Slimming World was, as always, great fun with lots of laughs.  And I won the raffle.  This plus a glass mug decorated with holly.
(apologies to those who read my SW blog too and will see this photo twice).

The cleaning ladies got a bit of a surprise when they walked in but they liked the decorations and one of them asked if she could take a photo of the tree.  Nice.

The other main event yesterday was the wreath workshop with Victoria and Hazel.  I've known these two for ages and ages - their now adult sons were in my class as infants in Y1 and one of them had the misfortune to get me again in Y4.
It was a lovely evening with lots of laughter and chatter and 'oooh, that's lovely' as we admired each other's efforts.
I went for a silver and blue vibe this time instead of my usual red, green and gold and a 'less is more' approach.  It's on the front door now and I will take a photo once it's light and post it in tomorrow's blog.

In today's box in the Body Shop Advent calendar was this - avocado shower cream for dry skin.  Another one that I will definitely use.  I usually have a bath rather than a shower but I have a reason for showering more often now, don't I.

The info on the box says that the avocado oil is from South Africa and the supplier is committed to using sustainable practices to help support eco-systems and replant avocado trees.  

The bottle is plastic but it says it is 100% recyclable so I certainly will.

On to today.  I'm going to start lazy, build up to a frenzy of moving stuff around including some stuff that is currently cluttering up the garage and then, after lunch, I'm off to St Andrew's Hall for another folk art applique workshop with Sharon Blackman.
I have to confess, I have very mixed feelings about this one.  I would have been meeting up with Suze and Christine there and was a bit inclined to back out but decided that would be daft and not at all in the right spirit so I am going and I will do my very best to enjoy it.

Have you had snow round your way?  I know Cherie has because I saw some video clips on her blog.
Snow or no snow, do stay warm - I am finding my oodie a real blessing which keeps me cosy without needing to turn up the heating - and wrap up well if you have to go out.
Have a lovely Saturday.  xx

As we go through December, you will find certain artists/choirs appearing more than once because I think they are amazing.

One such group is the wonderful King's Singers.  Reading the description box on YouTube, I think this particular version of 'The Angel Gabriel' was recorded during lockdown and the music is there so we can sing along (assuming we can read music, anyway).
So, for day two, if you can, have a go.  It's a beautiful song, even if the alto part is a bit - er - monotonous!
And if you'd rather not - just enjoy it.  Singing at its best!



18 comments:

  1. No snow here but very cold. Your garden room looks amazing, its really big, I didn't realize you were having one so big, what will you use it for, a, extra toom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. A third-ish of it is a separate space which is a shed space so the inside room is smaller than it appears from the outside. Still a really good space though and i will definitely be using it when friend come round for coffee, etc.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Your garden room looks as if it’s always been there and you have certainly worked hard to get it almost finished. Looking forward to seeing inside too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting used to it now. Once the walls have been finished and the pots have been moved around somewhat, I can start planning the changes to my 'planting' (which sounds posher than it really is).
      Yes, I'm really happy with how it has turned out. xx

      Delete
  3. The garden room is great and will give an extra dimension to your home. No snow here but has been bitterly cold. I've had a bit of a resurgence of this cold - moan, grumble - so am staying in by the fire. Hope you have enjoyed the workshop.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no - poor you, that's rotten. Snuggling down by the fire sounds absolutely right to me!
      I did, thank you. xx

      Delete
  4. This garden room looks wonderful - what an achievement.
    I love 'The Angel Gabriel' - the counter-tenor has a beautiful voice. The children used to sing 'Most highly-flavoured lady' which used to have all the teachers in fits. No matter how often we explained and corrected, she always came out seeming rather tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he just - I love a good counter tenor.
      We used to sing 'highly flavoured' when we were rehearsing without an adult (we musicians had a lot of freedom in sixth form) or when Mr McCay was in a good mood but never, ever, ever when it mattered! xx

      Delete
  5. The garden room looks amazing. I am sure you will be spend many happy hours out there. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen - I'm sure I will too. xx

      Delete
  6. No snow here in California yet. You are inspiring me to declutter and clean. It sounds like you are in the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes!! I love a Christmas vibe, I really do! xx

      Delete
  7. Wow - your new addition looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon. I'm well chuffed with it. xx

      Delete
  8. The garden room looks fabulous, Joy. You must be absolutely thrilled with how it has turned out.
    There's plenty of snow here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am - it is just what I wanted and well worth the upheaval.
      I bet the snow looks beautiful. xx

      Delete