Saturday 26 September 2020

Saturday

 Good morning, everyone.  The font for today is called 'Architects Daughter' for some reason.  It's a bit more arty than some but, I hope, easy on the eye.
My trouble is that, after decades of teaching five and six year olds, I can read most types and styles of handwriting (and some very bizarre spellings too), so the fact that I can read it easily doesn't mean it is easy to read!  :-)


Sunset sky after the rain cleared yesterday evening.

The weather seems to have settled down a bit this morning.  It is now just breezy instead of howling around the trees as it did for most of yesterday.  The skies are clear and the sun is knocking at the door.  It won't last, says the Beeb.  The clouds will gather and there will be rain later on but for now I am happy with those blue skies!

It was flippin' cold yesterday too.  I had the heating on and snuggled into my fleece as I rested, relaxed, knitted, watched rubbish telly and generally watched the hours pass in great contentment.  I did a few bits and bobs, notably getting some old clothes to the Sally Army collection point and doing a bit of Morrisons shopping while my cleaner got my house shiny.  I'm not being stand-offish - they prefer to have a clear run and in these Covid times, it is easier to keep distance and feel safe (both of us) if I pop out and do stuff.  

As a result of such a restful day and a splendid night's sleep, I feel a million times better this morning, thank goodness.  There are, of course, a list of things to do as long as my arm, but very few are urgent so I will be going with the flow again on another no 'official' commitment day.

There's washing and drying.  Most stuff can dry on the rack but the bedding will go in the tumble dryer with the added advantage that it will need minimal, if any, ironing afterwards.  There's some stuff that needs shifting from shed to garage and from inside to shed but that is dependent on weather and energy.  There's veg to pick down t'allotment, weather permitting, so I will probably go down there good and early before any rain decided to visit.

I've started getting things prepared for my holiday.  I will be at Dad;s the weekend before and back to Dad's for the night on the way home so, to make life easier in the longer term, I will be packing two bags, the weekend one for Dad's and the bigger one for Warner's.  Some things will work for both - shoes, for example, and they will go into supermarket bags for simplicity.  Masks are already in the big case!!
I've printed off the paperwork and am looking at the route - not that it's hard.  Straight up the A1 and turn left is basically the route.
I'm also looking at Things To Do.  I gather there's a really nice place called Southwell very close by that has a splendid church, Southwell Minster, that is well worth a visit (and which is open for visitors on weekdays) as well as other really interesting places.  It appears that the first Bramley apple originated in Southwell.
Lots of interesting info here.

There's also Clumber Park, Sherwood Forest is close by and I gather Newark is well worth a visit too.  Given that I have three days, if I manage that much it will be a miracle, especially as there's plenty to do within the hotel and grounds.  I can definitely see a second visit coming on, perhaps when there's more chance of better weather.

So - house sitter is organised, packing is sort of in progress, paperwork/printouts are building up.  All part of the fun of the whole thing.  Fingers crossed that Covid doesn't stick out its foot and trip everything up now.

Well, it is half past seven, time is racing away and I had better pop into the kitchen, unload the dishwasher, get the clothes washing on and generally start the day.  Have a good 'un and, as always, be safe and be happy.  xx

10 comments:

  1. YOU IRON BEDDING?????? I am clearly a scruffy so and so. I just chuck it on the bed and roll around it a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! It's one of the pleasures in life, getting into a bed with ironed bedding. Sad person, I am! ;-)
      xx

      Delete
    2. I usually put my ironed stuff away in cupboards.. but if you like to take yours to bed......... :-):-)

      Delete
  2. I quite like the font.

    Hope you have a good time away. So exciting! Lovely photo of the sky.

    I must admit I've never heard of ironing the bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another friend in the UK that irons her bedding as well. I haven't done that as of yet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's a UK thing or maybe it's a bit generational as well. Who knows? :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. If you can read doctors writing you can read anything. And talking of unusual spelling my sister once spelled Russia WRUSHA. I can see her point it read correctly even if wrongly spelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good point! Doctors' writing can be atrocious - not great when you think how important the message might be.
      I can see her point too.
      xx

      Delete