Thursday 17 September 2020

Thursday

 Good morning, everyone.  Yesterday's gloomy start with even a very few spots of rain gradually evaporated into sunshine as the morning progressed and, again, it was quite warm, almost a bit humid, I thought.

It looks as if it will be similar today and for at least the next week.  What's the betting by October it will have broken and we'll get rain, wind and more rain - just in time for my holiday!

I seemed to be doing a fair bit yesterday but it was a nice, gentle day all the same.  I am just finishing off another lot of dried apples and pears which are tasting delicious.  Dad will like some when I take them over tomorrow.  I also had a bash at a fruit leather, apple and plum, as I had three plums that needed using.  I removed the skins and stones, blended the flesh, then peeled, cored and chopped two redlove apples and added them for another zizz.  Then I blended in some corn syrup, cornflour and lemon juice before transferring it to a pan for a couple of minutes simmering.  Finally, I spread the thick puree out in strips on parchment on a tray and into the dehydrator it went for the rest of the day.  I shut it off overnight (because you're not supposed to have it on for more than twenty hours) and it's back on again for a few more hours.  I think the leather has worked - they peeled off the paper fine and are now sitting on one of the wire shelves to finish off.

The pears are now ripening so I've started eating them.  I must let Beth know so she can come and claim her share and on today's list is 'check wrapped pears'.

I decided to make a chilli to take to Dad's so I dug out a pot of JD Seasonings and the relevant amount of frozen mince.  I added things, of course - courgettes and more red pepper plus some sweetcorn.  I didn't have any kidney beans so I opened a can of borlotti beans instead and I also used the last of the frozen chickpeas.
I'm now rather low on pulses but need the freezer space for tomatoes, etc, so I will stock up on some non-frugal but useful cans of various pulses instead.

Personal training as fun as always.  I felt quite sluggish but Lindsey said I'd done really well so maybe it was merely a feeling, not a fact.  We're working for stamina and core strength so I did a lot of 'cycling' and 'stepping, both on the stepper machine and on the step before moving on to balance stuff.  We both notice I am recovering faster now which is great.

Tuition was great although one student forgot - or rather the mum forgot!  No problem, that's one lot of planning done for next week!

I've saved the best until last - a parcel arrived from Eileen who often comments in here and whose blog I follow.  She had been sent some crocus bulbs she hadn't ordered now wanted and the company said 'just keep them' so she passed them on.  So kind of you, Eileen, thank you very much for the bulbs and the pretty card.  I have set a date in my diary for planting them out next week.  I bet my front will be a picture next spring now and I might look for a suitable pot among my collection as well.


Image borrowed from Google, thank you!

I've just remembered one more thing.  A very nice thing although not quite as nice as a kind gift of spring bulbs.  I heard from the Teacher's Pension Agency.  A while ago, they said I had underpaid into my pension and wanted £xyz (a reasonably substantial amount) from me.  Being a good girl, I made a payment and thought no more of it.  The letter informed me that they had made a mistake and were refunding the money.  I have checked, it's in my account so I will be whizzing it over to savings later on today.

When I looked in my diary for today's events, I was delighted to see that I have an early morning swim at seven, a late afternoon tuition session and then the Slimming World meeting, and between those, a nice, healthy blank!
I've filled it with lovely, homey stuff such as:
finish fruit and leather
process tomatoes
check pears
sort out kitchen mess
washing
. . . you get the idea.  Not a lazy day but a restful and happy one, just what the doctor would have ordered!  I hope your day is just as pleasant.  xx


8 comments:

  1. Good to hear the bulbs arrived safely. That was a speedier delivery than I was expecting so hopefully the Royal Mail will do the same with the birthday cards sent to family which I was late in posting!

    Good luck with the weigh in at SW tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thank you very much, and fingers crossed for the cards.

      I'll know soon!
      xx

      Delete
  2. That was a lovely gift. It's reminded me that I need to buy more crocus as the new veg garden has covered all of mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. Very kind and generous.
      There's loads of bulbs around now so happy hunting!
      xx

      Delete
  3. I got some grape hyacinth bulbs recently but I think it's too early to plant them here. I do love crocuses, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a favourite, crocuses are. Snowdrops too. I had rather a 'purge' of white-bells in the spring and I suspect I got rid of quite a number of my snowdrop bulbs. I will see what comes up next year and maybe re-stock next autumn.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Crocus are the first spring plant we get here on the Prairies of Canada. Love them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first are snowdrops but crocuses are not far behind and add some very welcomed colour.
      xx

      Delete