Saturday 19 September 2020

Saturday

 Good morning!  I've woken very early here at Dad's, been down to make my coffee and empty the dishwasher and come back up, coffee in hand, to get on with my social mediating!

Yesterday went well.  I got everything done that I intended to do, including sorting some kitchen clutter and getting the ironing done.  I picked some tomatoes but they are finally starting to slow down and, although there were some, there weren't bowlfuls, thankfully.  I picked some that were just starting to turn so they should ripen on the window sill by Monday.  I noticed that some of the plants are now pretty much all picked out and I can deal with those next week before the green bin collection on Thursday.

When I set off, I detoured to the allotment and came away with a bagful of green beans, another bagful of tomatoes, three little courgettes and some nice apples, all of which came with me to Dad's.  I'm going to make some tomato soup with the tomatoes as Dad has his own as well so there's plenty.

It was a good journey over, sunny and warm and, while the roads were a bit busy, the traffic was moving and the only holdups were the usual ones.

I find Dad very well and it's nice to be here.  He loves the dried pear so I will leave it all with him and get going on a new batch when I get home.  Goodness knows, I have enough pears!  I also want to make some apple and pear leather and I am wondering about tomato leather too.  I've bought the book with me so will look it up and, probably, give it a go and see.

Today will be a quiet day.  I'm thinking maybe I will take a walk down to the Garden Centre to look around their plants and packets of seeds.  I'm nearly all prepared for the spring planting but might see a few more bits and bobs.  Apart from that, I have my kindle, books and knitting, plus the meal prepping so the day should pass very pleasantly.

Stay safe and have a good day.  xx

6 comments:

  1. Lovely blog. Good idea the fruit leathers. Yes you can make tomato leather. Also did you know that if you skin the tomatoes you can dry the skins then blitz them to make a powder. You can also do that with all types of greens. I use it in soups over the winter. Jean from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I had no idea. What an interesting idea, thanks very much. xx

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your weekend with your Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. It's going very pleasantly so far. xx

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your time with your Dad.

    I have dehydrated tomato skins and ground them into a powder to be used in other foods.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they add extra flavour? Given that I deskin the tomatoes before freezing them whole, this is definitely something I'd like to try, thanks
      xx

      Delete