Friday 14 October 2011

Friday: looking for the hair necessity

From time to time all primary teachers find it necessary to - er - check their hair!  I have no idea whether this in a necessity for secondary teachers.  I suspect less so, but am happy to be corrected.  The prudent teacher makes it a monthly routine in a 'just in case' way but, irritatingly and itchingly, sometimes the need to do so arises at other times as well.

I am fairly sure that most primary teachers have, somewhere in their home, a fine tooth comb.  I would say it was an absolute necessity, top of the list of things to pop in a 'welcome to teaching' pack!  A kind of dire warning of things to come . . .

Unfortunately, it became a necessity to look for the wee blighters this week.  The letters went home with the advice on the back.  I would normally do the necessary as part of my morning ablutions but my head was so itchy I decided to go nit hunting last night.

Problem - big problem - I couldn't find the fine tooth comb.  Conditioner there was in plenty but no comb.  Aaaarrgghh.  The only late opening shops around here are not likely to stock such an item and anyway I'd had a couple of glasses of stuff so wasn't going to drive.  One needs fortifying before such a task, you know!

In the end I gave up and went to bed, vowing to be hammering on the door of Morrisons at 8:00 in the morning.  It was obviously preying on my mind (as well as in my hair) because I dreamed that I was still searching for that dratted comb.  When I woke this morning, I looked in the place the dream told me it was and, lo and behold, there it was, showing its perfect teeth in a wide and glorious smile!  Dreams can be very helpful at times.

So now my scalp is tingling, all the loose hair has gone, my hair is smooth and clean and did I find any little visitors?  Nope, not one!  Not even a teeny baby one.  And just to stop any rumours, the fortification this morning was of the caffeine variety, OK! 
I will repeat the process tomorrow and Sunday, just to be safe, but I think it's going to be fine.  Phew . . .

There's something about just the thought of nits that makes ones head itch madly.  Mine still is.  After reading this I bet yours is too!  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment