Saturday 1 July 2023

Trip to the Weald and Downland Living Museum.

 This one day coach trip was absolutely brilliant.  It was a shame about the rain but it didn't stop us doing anything and we had our fold up raincoats and brollies to hand as needed.  This should have been a lovely view with the framing of the bushes but never mind.



Another view from the top when it wasn't raining, overlooking the Market Square and green with a maypole slap bang in the middle - although it's hard to see it in this photo.

And you can certainly see the rain in this tiny video clip  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYjrhETOyo



I've lifted this off the site but here's the link in case it doesn't come out clearly enough.
https://www.wealddown.co.uk/plan-your-visit/museum-map/

I'll just post some photos in random order with a few comments.  We managed to see most of what was there - The Tudor farmstead, some of the crafts/industries buildings, the Markey Square area, the rural homes and the stables.  We didn't see the Victorian area this time, nor the working woodyard, the Gridshell area or the the early dwellings.  We didn't do any of the walks.  There wasn't time and it wasn't the weather.  And we didn't disturb the Repair Shop filming areas.

There were several caravans dotted around including one in a hall with olden days games which you could go into - sadly, my photos didn't come out well enough.
It was owned by an eccentric lady who lived in it for many years and left it with the instruction that it was never to be changed inside.  It is all locked up.
The Market Hall and Crawley Hall

The brickwork was really lovely.

And here's the maypole - for what you can see of it!!


An tiny church, Anglican, very simple inside so it looked more Methodist and Anglican and, because it is made of corrugated metal it is called a 'tin tabernacle'.
There are working horses and this beauty was having his shoes changed.  The farrier was using old methods and, although the tools were not original, they were 'authentic'
He's a Percheron, quite young and just learning his trade, so to speak.
He is gorgeous.  


A school house in the foreground, then a potting shed where herbs and onions were being dried out.

A granary barn, lifted up to keep the dampness away.
A bread oven, only just built but made to an authentic design.  
It will be used:  I think they have a sort of 'Bread through History' day coming up this year.


Now, there was quite a lot of furniture in the homes but one of the guides explained that, as the furniture of the poorest people was used, used, passed down, used, and then repurposed, if possible, none of the furniture there is original.
However, they had a master carpenter on staff who did loads of research and then made the furniture authentically, using the old tools and methods.
Wonderful. 
Ditto for pottery, etc.

The next few photos are some examples.  


One cottage even had an en suite with a door to shut it off from the bedroom.  Must have been most chilly in winter!



This was interesting.  It was originally built as one house but, in the late 18th century it was divided into two.  It has two separate chimneys and flues, one serving one side and the other for the other side and we wondered if it was originally build with separation at some point in mind.

Close up of the chimneys.


Come the autumn and winter, all the homes have fires burning in the grates when the museum is open.  That must be quite a sight.
There was layered hedging and woven hedging all over the area.  I think it is so attractive.
And, finally, this was a late 17th century treadwheel and house with a door to a well under the bucket.  We guessed a horse was used to turn the wheel.














I could have spent twice the time wandering around and enjoying everything.  One of Val's daughters lives not too far away and Val said when she and Mike are visiting, she's going to take them to the Museum.
As for me, it's a long way to drive but I will keep my eyes open for another trip next year and book it.  If you ever get the chance, it truly is well worth a visit.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.  

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the photos and explanations. Another place I think you would enjoy is Beamish Museum in the North of England-a bus trip to that area would be needed. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val mentioned Beamish Museum too. Just a tad too far for a day trip, sadly. xx

      Delete
    2. What we did for our visits to Weald and Downland, Beamish and The Black Country Living Museum was to book holiday cottages in the general area, so that way we could comfortably make a day trip to each of them.

      Delete
    3. Very good idea. Not an option this year but worth thinking about, thanks. xx

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks like a great day out! The photos are really lovely. I love visitng places like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn such a lot, don't we, and social history has always interested me. xx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really would like to go back again. It's good to see old crafts and traditions being preserved and taught.
    The Percheron horse is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, I agree. There were lots of thatched roofs too - I love a thatched roof although I would never buy a house with one. Too expensive.
      Do you think you will ever be able to go back?
      Yes, he really was a lovely animal and so gentle. I'd love to see him at work.
      xx

      Delete
  4. That looks like a fascinating place to visit. Pity about the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, a bit, but it didn't stop us doing anything and at least it wasn't like an oven! xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it, it's been quite a while since I've been and I see there have been additions. I should go again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Places like that are continually developing and changing, I think. Really worth a visit. xx

      Delete
  6. Wow what a fabulous day out. I have never been so have put it on my bucket list! I love places like that. Thank you for inspiring me and sharing your photos.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant, Suze - I thoroughly enjoyed it all. xx

      Delete
  7. Just caught up with this - looks great, I'm so glad you enjoyed it x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. Well worth a visit. xx

      Delete
  8. That was a lovely post. I have been in and out of all of the houses and barns a couple of times now, but would still love to go back. The first time I went with Mum when we were on holiday in Bognor Regis just after my Dad died and she really didn't enjoy it, so I dashed in and out of most of the properties on my own. I went back with Alan a couple of years later and we spent a long day really appreciating it all. The original en-suite is a great idea isn't it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great touch of humour for modern day visitors too. I loved it!
      I am really looking forward to going back for another look and your idea above about taking a cottage in the area is brilliant. I'm definitely thinking about that one for the future. Thanks. xx

      Delete