Monday 24 July 2023

Monday, 24-07-23

Morning, everyone.  So another Monday rolls around, the first one of the summer holidays around here and I feel that little bubble of excitement that I think every teacher, no matter how long retired, must have experienced at some time or other.

(I don't really count the weekend - that happens, holiday or not)

Here you go - Little Runt in his new home.  It's the biggest pot I had left and it's not huge but the best I can do.  Annoyingly, I didn't have quite enough soil so I will have to see if I can find just a small bag of something in Morrisons.  The compost bin stuff isn't rotted enough yet.

Does anyone use one of those compost accelerator bin thingies that's supposed to turn kitchen peelings, etc, into compost pretty quickly?  Are they worth the money and space?
(not that it would help in this situation, I just wondered).

Anyway, Little Runt is looking very happy after drooping a bit yesterday - must remove that yellow leaf though.

After my mutterings about the weather yesterday, out came the sunshine and it was a beautiful day, warm and with a gentle breeze.  The heated fleece is now folded away back in the cupboard again.

I spent a lot of yesterday working on the crochet top which I think I have now finished.  It's OK and I might wear it, you never know.  

Today feels busy although it isn't really.
I have two Lindsey classes.  One is my personal training which has changed from Wednesday to Monday over the summer holidays and the other is a new initiative, Family Circuits.
Running for the next four weeks and for parents and children (as well as singles), it will have a different vibe to the usual circuits.  She did an ad hoc one several weeks ago and it was so good.  The children enjoyed themselves immensely as did the adults - well, I did anyway.
I might not go to them all, I'll see how it goes.

I really must get out my trowel and do some serious weeding after this rain.  The beds are beginning to look an utter disgrace.  

Finally, I have some washing to do, probably three loads, so I'll get my bedding changed and washed at the same time.

Just a usual Monday but with that little ripple of happiness.  So lovely.
How about you?  xx


17 comments:

  1. I’m a retired teacher too and I can remember the joy of waking up on the first day of the summer hols! (I can also remember the feeling in my stomach on the last day!😫)
    Good to see your ‘little runt’ doing well! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sal.
      There's nothing quite like it, is there? Six, whole, glorious weeks! OK, there's classrooms to sort out, planning to do, work related stuff in plenty but in ones own time (usually) and NO TIMETABLE!
      Bliss!
      Fingers crossed for Little Runt. L-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Teachers can plan and achieve so much . . . until the children enter the classroom ;-)

    Hope 'little runt' enjoys his new home and repays you handsomely. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. As we always said, school was a doddle without the children. :-D xx

      Delete
  3. We've tried various aerators and even had a foray into a wormery system - sadly, for us anyway, they were slow too
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - that is exactly what I needed to know. xx

      Delete
  4. I used to love the first day of the school holidays as a Mum, no more getting the boys ready first thing and the walk to school with the youngest and making sure the eldest was out in time for the bus. I never understood the Mum's that moaned at having their children off for the Summer.

    I'm having a bad courgette year this year, not a single fruit yet. I've never tried the compost accelerators but they are supposed to be good if you use them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor I although, of course, their holiday was my holiday too. We had one simple holiday rule - we did something 'exciting' together every day. It worked.

      It's the tomatoes that are doing the dirty on me. More blossom end rot, more than I have ever had before. I'm not sure why; I haven't done anything different. Oh well, that's life.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Schools here in Hamilton have been out for four weeks now and the teachers return three weeks today. I hoed all our garden last Monday and Tuesday in boiling heat and today the weeds have come back as bold as you like! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so rude, pushing in where they are not wanted!! Pesky things.

      I think Scotland has the right idea - the best weather is usually in July, not August.
      Usually!!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Joy. I just tip a load of partially rotted green waste into the bottom of my courgette pots and top it with good stuff. Courgette, pumpkin and marrow will happily scramble over a compost heap and grow lovely fruit. Don't buy compost if you don't need too... spend the money on a nice treat instead... and the word chocolate never left my lips ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late - I don't want to bother him again. Not that I've bought any soil yet but it's on the list.
      I will remember that for another time, thanks, Cherie.
      A nice treat sounds a Good Idea, mind you! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Our oldest son is a teacher and vacation (if as a teacher you can call it that) began for him the last day in June. He only has a month left to get his classes ready for the start of the year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, exactly - it is hardl;y a break from school stuff for much of the time. It's amazing how much still has to be done.
      I hope he has had a wonderful summer so far and good luck to him for the new year. What age does he teach? xx

      Delete
  8. Little Runt looks wonderful lol. Jane was a teacher and she SO looked forward to the summer holidays. Teachers put in so much effort, love and time. It seems neverending during term time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty unrelenting nowadays. Even breaks, evenings and weekends are not sacrosanct. I know it's not the only career that is so committed but when people say 'well, you get those long holidays' - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
      lol
      xx

      Delete
  9. I'm sure Little Runt will perk up again once he's settled in.
    I find it frustrating that I can only get compost in huge bags around here, when sometimes I only need a small amount.
    Yay for the holidays! Xx

    ReplyDelete