Saturday 1 July 2023

Saturday, 01-07-23 - the normal one

 Morning, one and all.  It is a dull old start to the day and I gather there was some rain here yesterday.  Sadly, it was pretty wet Chichester way but, happily, it didn't spoil anything at all.

Yesterday was totally taken up with the trip to the Weald and Downland Living Museum which is not too far from Chichester so a fair old journey to make from Mid-Essex on one day.  However, the coach was comfortable, I had Val to chat with and it was fine with a stop off around half way for loo and refreshments going and a much shorter one on the way back.

At the moment, I'm interspersing paragraphs in here with editing blocks of photos which have just uploaded.   So I think this will be a 'normal' post and I'll do a photo heavy one separately and put it up as soon as I've finished it.  Look out for a bonus post later on today!

It was nearly eight by the time we got home.  There driver was most skillful at taking detours to avoid the very worst bits but the fact was that we had to do the M25 and the Dartford tunnel and it was a Friday!  Oh, well, I've known it worse.

We were both shattered by the time we got back to mine.  Mike was there with their car to whisk Val straight back home and I knocked up a quick bacon sandwich - totally delish - did a bit of social media and went to bed.
It wasn't a comfortable night - annoyingly, I got toe cramp (don't laugh, it's not nice!) in both feet and it was only after a while I realised I was probably very dehydrated.  Because of the long coach drive, I had restricted liquids - aging female bladder, etc, and at least some of you will know exactly what I mean - and when I got home, I should have sipped water for an hour or so and I didn't.  Very silly.
Anyway, I got up, got some water in my sports bottle, went back to bed, read and sipped and after a while it all eased off and I got some sleep.
All my own fault.

This morning, I am feeling very bleary eyed but coffee is helping and I will perk up.  It's July 1st and, usually, I would be aiming to do an early morning shop but I don't need to so I won't.  I can spend the morning chilling and so on before getting things ready to take over to Beth's for our Girls' Afternoon Tea with Julia and Linda.  So I have to make and bake scones and bake the Delia not-sausage patties and remember to take the jam.
A very pleasant day, I think.  I'm hoping the weather plays ball!

I thought I'd share this photo of one of the cucumber plants.


As you can see, there's two babies.
I thought long and hard about what Cherie said about taking off the early babies to encourage more later on and decided to do a little trial.  I have two plants, both doing well, so I'm taking out the flowers on the other one to see what difference there is.  At very worst, it won't make any difference but it might extend the growing/fruiting period and minimise that glut that one can get mid-summer.
Anyway, we will see and, Cherie, thanks for the advice.

All the best, everyone.  Have a good day, whatever you have planned.  Take care but maybe not too much . . .  xx


8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip out. It's just a shame you didn't get a good night's sleep, especially after a long day.
    The cucumbers look very cute, and it will be interesting to see the results of your experiment. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but I am taking it easy this morning and it's fine. It was worth it anyway, yesterday was great. xx

      Delete
  2. I sympathise with you over the cramp. I have had bouts of cramp all my adult life but when I feel sorry for myself I remember a girl at school who used to cramp all over. She would be immobilised by it - it must have been horrendously painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, poor girl, how awful for her. I hope they were able to sort something out medically. xx

      Delete
  3. Ah yes the dreaded toe cramps, my sympathies. I'll be very interested in the cucumber experiment because the glut situation is always a nuisance - all or nothing scenario
    Enjoy that tea it sounds lovely.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a nuisance, aren't they?
      I've made the scones and will be going over to Beth's soon. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good day out. I always end up with cramps when I'm travelling like that. It's so very painful. I had a couple the other day and realised that it's the heat and not drinking enough water. Of course, if you drink a lot you have to go to the loo a lot too - not good when you're travelling. Hopefully they will be better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will - I'm properly hydrated today (and very tired). It's always a balance when travelling and I feel 'safer' not drinking much. Just one of those things. Those cramps, even just in the toes, are indeed pretty uncomfortable, definitely.
      xx

      Delete