Wednesday 26 July 2023

Wednesday, 26-07-23

 Good morning, everyone.  Thank you so much for all the lovely comments on the Granny square top.  So very kind and very much appreciated.  xx

Coming on, isn't it?  I'm going to have an overabundance of cucumber - this one is pretty much ready to pick but I won't for a few days because I still have some shop bought cucumber in the fridge.  You can just see the end of another one and there's two more snapping at their heels on t'other plant.

I looked up cucumber recipes. 

I could quick pickle some and I'm having salad for lunch so will do just that.  My Nanna always served cucumber in vinegar (malt, in them there days) with sugar and salt, much to my parent's disgust as they preferred their cucumber fresh sliced.  We kids enjoyed it a lot though.

I also found a 'Greek Salad' on BBC Good Food.  It has the cucumber, tomatoes. red onion, olives and feta with oregano and extra virgin olive oil.  Nice!






Have you noticed how the nights are starting to draw in?  Round here, it is now pitch black by nine thirty and I'm drawing all the curtains again.  I suppose it does the same every year, and every year I am a bit surprised.  

I trotted off to Groove yesterday morning and had a really good time.  It's the only one of Lindsey's classes that is continuing at its usual venue, the St Andrew's Church Hall.  There were some different faces there (all classes are running on an ad-hoc basis through the summer) and I recognised one of them - I had her two boys in Y1 and she used to come and help for a short time each week.
She didn't recognise me though - not because I was forgotten but for the usual reason nowadays - I'm slim and my hair is short instead of long!  I suppose I do look very different.
We had an enjoyable five minutes chatting about her boys, now young men and married with families.  I love it when that happens.

The rest of the day passed as days do with housework, bit of gardening, etc, etc, etc.  I popped round to Beth's with three courgettes and the embroidery thread she wanted and had a quick chat but she was very busy so I didn't stay long.

Today is very similar.  Small Group Circuits first and then home for the usual.  There's a load of darks to wash, dry and iron so fingers crossed for the weather.  And I have discovered a new-to-me granny square - no, granny hexagon - which is quite pretty.  What could I make with hexagons though?

Have a lovely day, everyone.  Enjoy life  😎


18 comments:

  1. I like the vinegar/salt/sugar version of cucumber best too, but I use rice vinegar and chopped dill and steep it for about an hour and then pour off most of the liquid.
    There are a number of hexagon knitting patterns/ideas on Google, incl totes ;-)
    Yes, change in daylight quite noticeable now, I was also quite chilly when I went to bed and took a while to warm up, but decided it preferable to being too hot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rice vinegar and I have dill (dried, but all the same . . . ), thanks.
      I prefer cooler in bed too. Much easier to warm up than cool down.
      The hexagon is really pretty so I will take a look - thanks. xx

      Delete
    2. I love Greek salad!
      Hexagons sound nice - another top, perhaps, or a cushion cover or lap blanket? It's quite chilly in the evenings, now - we don't seem to have had long summer evenings this year, or maybe I've just missed seeing them.

      Delete
    3. I think they're very pretty. I will take a few photos for tomorrow (if I remember!) xx

      Delete
  2. I think the Greek salad idea is great - thanks for reminding me. I used to make what the Americans call ' bread and butter ' pickles........OH finds malt vinegar too acidic now, perhaps cider vinegar, which I've got loads of , would work ok
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - I think cider vinegar would be lovely - also balsamic which I really love. I will look up bread and butter pickles. xx

      Delete
  3. A bag made from hexagons would be nice or a throw- Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all sorts of pickles but have never tried pickling cucumber. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very simple - just white wine vinegar, bit of salt and bit of sugar and ad the sliced cucumber for about an hour. Very nice if you like that kind of flavour (I do!)
      xx

      Delete
  5. That is one big cucumber!!! I have been pulling the curtains shut mid day as it is so hot here. Then opening them once the sun moves farther to the west.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the sun out really does help. I do that too, on those hot, humid days, and then turn on the fan. It helps. I haven't needed to do it for a couple of weeks though. xx

      Delete
  6. That is a very impressive cucumber, and well worthy of another pickling session. I have found that it's feeling very autumnal here at the moment, darker nights and so much cooler after all the rain we have had/are having. Walking in the park near Mum's yesterday the leaves were really falling off the trees too, it felt a bit too early for that. I think nature is as confused as us at the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I need to sweep the back garden - there's a lot oif fallen leaves, almost autumnal, as you say.
      Snow next week???
      xx

      Delete
  7. Wow that's quite a big cucumber! It's the mornings that seem to be getting a lot darker around here. Not that I'll complain too much about that. Sunrise is too early for me lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol
      I quite like darker evenings. It's nice to draw the curtains and shut out the night. xx

      Delete
  8. Greek salad is one of my favourites, although I sometimes omit the red onion, otherwise I can taste it all day.
    Yes, I have noticed the nights are drawing in and I am not happy about it. I think we would all appreciate some summer weather, before beginning to think about autumn. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we had that last month with that very hot spell! :-)
      This is more what I remember from my youth - a typical British Summer!!
      xx

      Delete